• Sign outside of Randall Library. (Samantha Hill/The Seahawk)

Culture

REDdress demonstration outside of Randall Library

• Image of the April 2 SGA Meeting where they discussed the grading point-scale change. (Jackson Davenport/The Seahawk)

News

SGA looks to implement universal 10-point grading scale

• Photos of

News

Q&A with 2024-2025 school year student body president and student body vice president

• Image of emergency service vehicles outside of Morton. (Peyton James/The Seahawk)

News

​​COVID cluster or electrical fire?

• Biden-Harris administration hosts roundtable to discuss the experiences of two womens pregnancies post the overturn of Roe v. Wade in 2022 (Courtesy of the Biden Campaign).

News

Biden Campaign sits down with student journalists to discuss abortion rights

• Randall Library is under construction as UNCW works to expand the building and resources it offers. (Peyton Lewis/The Seahawk)

News

UNCW invests in new expansion to Randall Library

• People walk with You belong signs at a Pride month protest. (Adiden Craver/Unsplash.com)

Culture

Community, isolation and politics: The mental health of queer students at UNCW

• Group shot of SWE. (Courtesy: Tyler Stubbs)

News

Dredging on Wrightsville Beach coming to a close

• Signs for primary candidates posted outside of an early voting site. (Jackson Davenport/The Seahawk)

News

The New Hanover County candidates on your general election ballot

• Smoke rises from Village Green, as seen from the Central Deck parking garage. (Amelia McNeese/The Seahawk)

News

Fire at Green Village Apartments displaces residents and students

Ad seeking college-age actors for TV production

LightArt leads the way for sustainable lighting: turning waste into custom designs

Lightart’s Ocean Coil Collection. (Oceanworks/Lightart.com)

Based on three mission pillars—people, product, planet—LightArt strives to produce environmentally conscious lighting designs using recycled products. The company aims to deliver custom, hand-crafted light installations.

The president of LightArt, Adam Reeder, received his degree in political science from the University of Utah and earned his MBA from Westminster University. Before entering the workforce, Reeder struggled to decide between academia and a career. He had the opportunity to work for 3form, an architecture material manufacturer and LightArt’s parent company, and found the intersection between sustainability and architecture compelling.

“[3form] was doing a lot of unique things not only with material and design but with sustainability, culture and architecture,” said Reeder. “As the company [3form] started to grow through more representation they also were acquiring companies that were using their materials, which were translucent sustainable materials which had recycled content in it.”

Nearshore plastic being collected to make the Seagrass pendant. (Oceanworks/Lightart.com) (Carlos M. Estrada)

Reeder entered the lighting market emphasizing a unique material narrative, taking pride in being “unlike any other.” This approach involved offering customizations and variations using sustainable materials previously unseen in the market. LightArt aimed to have its mission pillars be at the forefront of their work and make connections with people and the stories behind their product.

“We are very engaged in how what we produce will have an impact on the people who are building it,” said Reeder.

Sustainability is a focus point in every product LightArt makes and supports. The company provides a range of involvement for sustainable products, including the ocean coil product, which redirects ocean-bound and near-shore plastic away from the water and turns the waste into a 3-D printed product. Oceanworks, located around the globe, partners with LightArt to provide plastic found in or near oceans. They work with local communities to divert ocean-bound plastic into pallets which are purchased by companies, like LightArt and 3form. Oceanworks also provides a proven third-party audit to authenticate the materials that have been sourced.

LightArt also prioritizes sustainably sourced materials. If the materials are not recycled, then LightArt makes an effort to source product materials from eco-conscious sources and companies that engage in sustainable practices. When LightArt works with their vendors, they can create materials from their own scraps or waste—also known as pre-consumer recycled content.

LightArt also collects products between vendors—metal, resin, plastic and more—and pelletizes the product scraps which may end up in landfills if not collected.

Ocean-bound plastic off the Honduras coast. (Oceanworks/Lightart.com)

Besides sourcing, LightArt and 3form also prioritize keeping their Just Label up to date. The label offers insights into 22 social justice indicators, enabling companies to share and maintain transparency with their employees and customers about their policies. 3form is one of 168 organizations and one of five manufacturers to implement a Just Label, which offers a point of reference when looking to assess current policies and areas to implement change.

“We want to make sure that we’re not just talkin’ the talk, but walkin’ the walk,” said Reeder. “We have initiatives here [their Seattle location] whether it’s reducing our own carbon footprint by different forms of transportation or if it’s being conscious about your waste stream—making sure that we’re not adding [waste] to the landfills that can be going somewhere else.”

While the company celebrates Earth Day, they also recognize the importance of remembering and practicing sustainability throughout the year. LightArt and 3form from all their locations engage in a one-week event called Greenweek, where everyone who attends—from assembly line workers to senior-level management—thinks of ways to positively impact the planet and become more in tune with their sustainability goals.

“There is a real impact in motivation to do more and spread the word when they [employees and consumers] can feel and see their impact,” said Reeder. “When you can see that you’re working to divert ocean-bound plastic or your own waste stream and turn it into something beautiful, that is really motivational.”

From illuminating new spaces to their own office, LightArt is also shedding light on how companies can build a greener future. With their eco-friendly designs, not only can you receive a new customized fixture, but LightArt is showing off new ways to make sustainable practices both practical and easy to enjoy.

View Comments (1)