• Sign outside of Randall Library. (Samantha Hill/The Seahawk)

Culture

REDdress demonstration outside of Randall Library

• Image of the April 2 SGA Meeting where they discussed the grading point-scale change. (Jackson Davenport/The Seahawk)

News

SGA looks to implement universal 10-point grading scale

• Photos of

News

Q&A with 2024-2025 school year student body president and student body vice president

• Image of emergency service vehicles outside of Morton. (Peyton James/The Seahawk)

News

​​COVID cluster or electrical fire?

• Biden-Harris administration hosts roundtable to discuss the experiences of two womens pregnancies post the overturn of Roe v. Wade in 2022 (Courtesy of the Biden Campaign).

News

Biden Campaign sits down with student journalists to discuss abortion rights

• Randall Library is under construction as UNCW works to expand the building and resources it offers. (Peyton Lewis/The Seahawk)

News

UNCW invests in new expansion to Randall Library

• People walk with You belong signs at a Pride month protest. (Adiden Craver/Unsplash.com)

Culture

Community, isolation and politics: The mental health of queer students at UNCW

• Group shot of SWE. (Courtesy: Tyler Stubbs)

News

Dredging on Wrightsville Beach coming to a close

• Signs for primary candidates posted outside of an early voting site. (Jackson Davenport/The Seahawk)

News

The New Hanover County candidates on your general election ballot

• Smoke rises from Village Green, as seen from the Central Deck parking garage. (Amelia McNeese/The Seahawk)

News

Fire at Green Village Apartments displaces residents and students

REVIEW: UNCW’s bone-chilling production of “Dracula”

A poster for UNCW Department of Theatre’s “Dracula,” which runs until Nov. 12, 2023.

The University of North Carolina Wilmington (UNCW) theater department brings the story of “Dracula” to the stage demonstrating the gothic tale with excellence. The audience is transported back to the late 1800s in London with the music and color schemes of the stage. It is no surprise that tickets to the show are in high demand.  

The play begins with Renfield (Rachel Wilson), an asylum patient, running into the audience immediately grabbing their attention. Wilson’s stage presence is captivating through her body language and line delivery. With each of her lines, she builds suspense leaving the audience wondering what she will do next. Renfield’s performance is a highlight of the play and watching her interact with other characters is a delight.  

The portrayal of Lucy (George Bird) is memorable through her transformation throughout the play She begins as an innocent and lively young woman who undergoes traumatic events which ultimately lead to her death. Bird leaves the audience in awe of her convincing performance as she graces the stage with confidence.  

The relationships between characters onstage are convincing through the emotions and body language. The friendship between Mina (Abigail Hamm) and Lucy appears as if they have been friends for years and know each other’s secrets. The bond they share makes the events of the play horrifying as Mina watches Lucy change. 

UNCW Department of Theatre’s “Dracula” is approaching its third and final week of performances from Nov. 9 to Nov. 12. The show is based on the iconic gothic novel by Bram Stoker. (Ashlynn Dziekiewicz/The Seahawk)

It is evident the cast and crew members give large amounts of their time and effort to make this production possible. The costume department demonstrates their attention to detail throughout the play, most notably with Lucy and Transylvania Dracula (EC Cobb-Curtis). The hair and makeup team shows the power that a change in hairstyle and makeup has in the effectiveness of telling a story. This is seen in Lucy’s outfits as she undergoes a transformation throughout the play.  

The Special Effects Consultant, Matthew Holtzclaw, deserves a standing ovation for his outstanding work with the special effects. Between lighting and fake blood, the effects make a difference in the impact of a scene. The scenes where characters are stabbed with a wooden stake are impressive because they look as though they are real.  

This is a must-see production that leaves the audience in shock by the events that take place. Showings of “Dracula” continue through Nov. 12. More information can be found on the UNCW Theater Department website.