• Image of emergency service vehicles outside of Morton. (Peyton James/The Seahawk)

News

​​COVID cluster or electrical fire?

• Biden-Harris administration hosts roundtable to discuss the experiences of two womens pregnancies post the overturn of Roe v. Wade in 2022 (Courtesy of the Biden Campaign).

News

Biden Campaign sits down with student journalists to discuss abortion rights

• Randall Library is under construction as UNCW works to expand the building and resources it offers. (Peyton Lewis/The Seahawk)

News

UNCW invests in new expansion to Randall Library

• People walk with You belong signs at a Pride month protest. (Adiden Craver/Unsplash.com)

Culture

Community, isolation and politics: The mental health of queer students at UNCW

• Group shot of SWE. (Courtesy: Tyler Stubbs)

News

Dredging on Wrightsville Beach coming to a close

• Signs for primary candidates posted outside of an early voting site. (Jackson Davenport/The Seahawk)

News

The New Hanover County candidates on your general election ballot

• Smoke rises from Village Green, as seen from the Central Deck parking garage. (Amelia McNeese/The Seahawk)

News

Fire at Green Village Apartments displaces residents and students

• caption

News

Ann Marie Pierce: Wilmington local who took her love of running all the way to the Olympic Trials

•  Protestors oppose tolls at the WMPO Board Meeting. (Jackson Davenport/The Seahawk)

News

Wilmington locals outraged at Cape Fear Memorial Bridge toll meeting

• Maides Cemetery sign from the Historic Wilmington Foundation. (Sarah Carter/The Seahawk)

News

Ground Penetrating Radar used at Maides Cemetery to locate unmarked graves

UNCW Hockey team wins weekend series against High Point University

From left, Nolan Tabraham and Zach Shrock helped the Seahawks sweep the weekend series. (UNCW Hockey via Instagram)

The UNCW Seahawks Ice Hockey team took on High Point University (B) in two separate matches on Friday and Saturday, Sept. 8 and 9. The game on Friday was the first game of the season, so the environment of the game was lively. The game began after a long introduction, to where the team would get off to a hot start. It was 4–0 at the end of the first period, with Chris McGrath scoring an early goal. At the end of the second period, it would be 10-1. The third period would be more of the same, with the final score finishing up at 13-2, the Seahawks taking home a statement win. There was a plethora of Seahawks to produce goals, including two goals from Nick D’Andrea and two goals from Zach Schrock.  

The second game of the weekend matchup was on Saturday afternoon at 4 p.m. The team would face off against an angry opponent, seeking retribution for the brutal loss the night before. High Point University would come out strong, winning 4-2 at one point in the game. The Seahawks were not to be denied though, pushing the game to 4-4 and forcing overtime. In overtime, the Seahawks would look to score first in the Sudden Death matchup.

Harrison Loucks eyes the puck amid a Seahawks comeback. (UNCW Hockey via Instagram)

Kye Levy would skate through an opening on the ice before hitting a wrist shot towards the net, where his brother Corey Levy would retrieve the ricochet and knock it in. This electrifying goal lit up the Ice House and propelled the Seahawks to a series sweep. Other players who scored goals in the Saturday match include two from Zach Shrock, one from Nick D’Andrea, and one from freshmen forward Colin Roberts. Roberts was able to score one goal in both games; it’s always nice to see freshmen produce.  

The Seahawks started the 2023-2024 campaign off strong, opening up with a 2-0 record. They will face off against Millersville University on Sept. 15 and Sept. 16 at home.