• Students and faculty walking down Chancellors Walk shouting DEI cannot go! (Samantha Hill/The Seahawk)

News

BSU protest against the new UNC DEI policy change

• Sign outside of Randall Library. (Samantha Hill/The Seahawk)

Culture

REDdress demonstration outside of Randall Library

• Image of the April 2 SGA Meeting where they discussed the grading point-scale change. (Jackson Davenport/The Seahawk)

News

SGA looks to implement universal 10-point grading scale

• Photos of

News

Q&A with 2024-2025 school year student body president and student body vice president

• Image of emergency service vehicles outside of Morton. (Peyton James/The Seahawk)

News

​​COVID cluster or electrical fire?

• Biden-Harris administration hosts roundtable to discuss the experiences of two womens pregnancies post the overturn of Roe v. Wade in 2022 (Courtesy of the Biden Campaign).

News

Biden Campaign sits down with student journalists to discuss abortion rights

• Randall Library is under construction as UNCW works to expand the building and resources it offers. (Peyton Lewis/The Seahawk)

News

UNCW invests in new expansion to Randall Library

• People walk with You belong signs at a Pride month protest. (Adiden Craver/Unsplash.com)

Culture

Community, isolation and politics: The mental health of queer students at UNCW

• Group shot of SWE. (Courtesy: Tyler Stubbs)

News

Dredging on Wrightsville Beach coming to a close

• Signs for primary candidates posted outside of an early voting site. (Jackson Davenport/The Seahawk)

News

The New Hanover County candidates on your general election ballot

Ad seeking college-age actors for TV production

UNCW Hockey team wins weekend series against High Point University

From left, Nolan Tabraham and Zach Shrock helped the Seahawks sweep the weekend series. (UNCW Hockey via Instagram)

The UNCW Seahawks Ice Hockey team took on High Point University (B) in two separate matches on Friday and Saturday, Sept. 8 and 9. The game on Friday was the first game of the season, so the environment of the game was lively. The game began after a long introduction, to where the team would get off to a hot start. It was 4–0 at the end of the first period, with Chris McGrath scoring an early goal. At the end of the second period, it would be 10-1. The third period would be more of the same, with the final score finishing up at 13-2, the Seahawks taking home a statement win. There was a plethora of Seahawks to produce goals, including two goals from Nick D’Andrea and two goals from Zach Schrock.  

The second game of the weekend matchup was on Saturday afternoon at 4 p.m. The team would face off against an angry opponent, seeking retribution for the brutal loss the night before. High Point University would come out strong, winning 4-2 at one point in the game. The Seahawks were not to be denied though, pushing the game to 4-4 and forcing overtime. In overtime, the Seahawks would look to score first in the Sudden Death matchup.

Harrison Loucks eyes the puck amid a Seahawks comeback. (UNCW Hockey via Instagram)

Kye Levy would skate through an opening on the ice before hitting a wrist shot towards the net, where his brother Corey Levy would retrieve the ricochet and knock it in. This electrifying goal lit up the Ice House and propelled the Seahawks to a series sweep. Other players who scored goals in the Saturday match include two from Zach Shrock, one from Nick D’Andrea, and one from freshmen forward Colin Roberts. Roberts was able to score one goal in both games; it’s always nice to see freshmen produce.  

The Seahawks started the 2023-2024 campaign off strong, opening up with a 2-0 record. They will face off against Millersville University on Sept. 15 and Sept. 16 at home.