Three dorm-friendly recipes for on-campus students

Sophia Culler, Staff Writer

Dorm life is great for making connections with other students and for being close to classes, but it is not the best for cooking meals. This usually leads to a lot of takeout food and eating out at restaurants. But there are other options! Microwaves can be used to cook meals, not just heat up leftovers.

The three ideas below are a few of my favorite dorm-friendly meals. They are easy to make, and low cost too—perfect for college students.

Together, pancakes and scrambled eggs make one hearty and satisfying meal. (All Recipes)

Breakfast: Pancakes and Eggs

I want to share this meal with you because it is a great way to start a day. The carbs from the pancakes will help with energy, and the healthy fats and protein in the eggs keep you full and ready to study!

Equipment and Ingredients:

· 1 ½ cups prepared pancake batter

· 1 teaspoon oil

· 3 eggs

· Microwavable egg cooker or plate

· Microwave

Instructions:

1. Make your pancake batter according to the instructions. If it is for one, you will not be making a large batch, so you can probably mix it in a mug or small bowl.

2. Lightly grease the egg cooker with some oil. If you do not have an egg cooker, you can use a microwaveable plate. Be careful to not overfill it, or it could spill over while cooking!

3. Add a small amount of the batter to the egg cooker or plate.

4. Microwave on high for about a minute or until the center can be poked with a toothpick and the toothpick stays clean.

5. Repeat as necessary until you have enough pancakes.

After the pancakes are finished, you can start on the eggs.

1. Grease the egg cooker or plate again.

2. Crack an egg into the cooker.

3. Microwave on high. (Most egg cookers recommend microwaving for 1 to 2 minutes, but check with your egg cooker for cooking time.)

4. Repeat for each egg.

The microwavable egg cooker that I use is a small plastic dish that is perfect for microwaving “sunny-side up” eggs, but there are other types of dorm-friendly egg cookers that do not go in the microwave that can be used to make boiled and poached eggs!

This chicken casserole recipe is perfect for dorm life, and so easy to make. (Restless Chipotle)

Dinner: Chicken Casserole

This is one of my favorite meals to make. I like to make mine with extra cheese. It is perfect for the cold days of a spring semester!

Equipment and Ingredients:

· 1 package of Ramen noodles (original, no flavoring)

· 5 ounces cream of chicken soup

· ½ cup shredded colby jack cheese

· ½ cup shredded chicken, cooked (optional)

· 2 tablespoons mushrooms (optional)

· Microwave

· Rapid Ramen noodle microwavable cooker

Instructions:

1. Use a microwavable Ramen noodle cooker to prepare the noodles according to noodle-cooker instructions. Do not add any flavor packets.

2. Drain the water and add the cooked noodles to a microwaveable bowl.

3. Stir in cream of chicken and cheese.

4. You can also top with extra cheese. Microwave on high for 1 to 2 minutes or until cheese is melted.

Fudgy and soft, this brownie in a mug is a quick and simple way to satisfy chocolate cravings. (Preppy Kitchen)

Desert: Brownie in a Mug

This is one of my favorite late-night snacks. At home, I keep the dry ingredients already mixed to make this even quicker. It takes me less than five minutes to make!

Equipment and Ingredients:

· ¼ cup flour (self-rising or all-purpose)

· 2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder

· 3 tablespoons white sugar

· 2 tablespoons butter, melted

· Splash of vanilla (optional)

Instructions:

1. In a large microwaveable cup, combine all of the dry ingredients. Brownies have a tendency to boil over, so use a mug larger than you think you need.

2. Once the dry ingredients are thoroughly mixed, slowly add the wet ingredients while stirring. Stir until blended.

3. Microwave for about one minute.

4. If it still is not done, continue to microwave in 10-second intervals.

5. Once finished, let sit for a few moments before serving.

I hope these recipes make your wallet happier and your dorm feel more like home. School isn’t easy, especially when you’re away from home, but making a warm meal is one way you can practice self-care this semester. If you enjoyed these recipes, previous articles also offer dorm-friendly options for those comfortable venturing to the downstairs kitchen. Good luck with your semester!