SGA President Robby Fensom shares what is in his bookbag

Caroline Straubel, Contributing Writer

SGA Student Body President Robby Fensom gave The Seahawk a tour of his bookbag for our new series discovering what your fellow students carry around with them every day. Find out Fensom’s campus essentials below. 

Taking a look inside SGA Student Body President Robby Fensom’s bookbag. (Kaylin Damico)

“Proposal Planning & Writing” by Jeremy T. Miner and Kelly C. Ball  

A textbook for English class, which guides reads through the process of writing a grant proposal, the types of grants and funding a project.   

“The Free Speech Century” by Leon C. Bollinger and Geoffrey R. Stone  

The book focuses on the legacy of free speech, the Supreme Court ruling that established it, and the philosophy that served as a basis for those rulings.  

Fensom discusses one of the books he is currently reading, “The Free Speech Century” by Geoffrey Stone and Lee Bollinger. (Kaylin Damico)

“The Constitution of Knowledge: A Defense of Truth” by Johnathan Rauch 

The book examines knowledge in the modern period, how the presidency of Donald Trump and the 2016 election impacted the way people engage with news and social media.  

Fensom tells us about “The Constitution of Knowledge” by Jonathan Rauch. (Kaylin Damico)

“The Paradox of Tarheel Politics: The Personalities, Elections, and Events That Shaped Modern North Carolina” by Rob Christensen  

This book recounts the history of politics in North Carolina, focusing on scandalous figures in modern history, like John Edwards and on the greater role of the state in national politics.  

Fensom talks about “The Paradox of Tar Heel Politics” by Rob Christensen. (Kaylin Damico)

Robby is a fan of dog-earing his books, or in drastic cases, he resorts to putting a pen in the book.  

Fensom sometimes uses a pen to bookmark his books. (Kaylin Damico)

NuGo Protein Bars.  

“I really don’t have anything good to say about the brand, they taste bad. Every time I eat one I kind of think about throwing it away. But they are very convenient. I buy them in bulk.”  

He has about two or three a day. He is also a fan of Rockstar energy drinks, although the flavors leave a bit to be desired. The cotton candy and lemon flavors were “both really, really bad.”  

“I support them financially, they’re very cheap and they get the job done. It’s too late to change now,” said Fensom. 

Passport 

Fensom’s only form of ID at the moment. He lost all of his IDs, even his OneCard, over the summer in Philadelphia.

Beats headphones.  

Fensom is currently listening to sea shanties, Glass Animals and podcasts, including “Philosophize This!” hosted by Stephen West and “Jersey Girls Don’t Pump Gas” hosted by UNCW students Mary Hull and Isa Pleasants.