‘Periods Don’t Stop for Pandemics’ campaign collecting menstrual hygiene products for local women

Veronica Wernicke, News Editor

For the second year in a row, UNC Wilmington’s (UNCW) Hawks Harvest is partnering with Seeds of Healing and I Support the Girls, to collect and donate menstrual hygiene products for local women in the Cape Fear region. 

This year’s “Periods Don’t Stop for Pandemics” campaign is looking to raise awareness related to period poverty, collect new, unopened boxes of menstrual hygiene products and advocate for a repeal of the “tampon tax” in North Carolina—where there is a bill looking to do just that. 

Period products ready for transport. Leslie Cohen, 2020

In North Carolina, 20% of women and girls aged 12 to 44, and 25% of trans and non-binary people live below the federal poverty line, reducing access to menstrual hygiene products.

Last year the campaign was able to collect and donate over 30,000 menstrual hygiene products to those in need throughout the Wilmington community.  

Between Monday, April 26, and Sunday, May 2, people can drop off new, unopened boxes of menstrual hygiene products at various locations. 

Designed drop-off locations at UNCW P.O.D’s include Seahawk Landing, Tri-House Area, University Suites, Schwartz, Graham-Hewlett, Sandpiper and Pelican halls, Seahawk Crossing, Seahawk Village and Campus Ministries (Lot H for off-campus donations).

Angela Odom with Seeds of Healing at the Frank Harr Foundation location. (Seeds of Healing, 2020)

Additionally, on Saturday, May 1, and Sunday, May 2, between 12 and 3 p.m., there will be five other drop-off locations around Wilmington. 

Those locations include UNCW, Parking lot H (across from the water tower), Lutheran Church of Reconciliation, 7500 Market St; YWCA, 2815 S. College Rd; The Frank Harr Foundation, 1624 Princess St; and Warner Temple AME Zion Church, 620 Nixon St.

They also have an online Amazon wish list, where people can also donate products.  Additionally, people can sign-up to volunteer for any of these events on their SignUp Genius page. Additional information can be found here

Co-hosts of the event include UNCW department of anthropology, the UNCW Gender Studies and Research Center, YWCA of Lower Cape Fear, Frank Harr Foundation,  PERIOD.org, NC Menstrual Equity Coalition, Muse Media Services and New Hanover County League of Women Voters.

Muse Media Services/Gabby Turner Marketing, 2021