UNC System will not require COVID-19 virus vaccine for fall 2021 return

Veronica Wernicke, News Editor

The UNC System recently announced they will not require students, faculty or staff to receive the COVID-19 virus vaccine or provide any proof of vaccination prior to their return in the fall. 

Several major universities, including Duke University have announced that they will require students to receive the coronavirus (COVID-19) vaccine prior to their return.

“The University of North Carolina System remains committed to following guidance from public health officials and state law regarding vaccinations,” a UNC System spokesperson told WRAL. “No federal or state public health official has directed that COVID-19 vaccinations be mandated for students at institutions of higher education.”

In North Carolina, anyone over the age of 16 is eligible to receive the COVID-19 virus vaccine and so far, over 72,000 vaccines have been administered across the UNC System’s 16 universities. 

“The UNC System strongly recommends the vaccine for students but is not requiring it. We urge our students and all North Carolinians to be vaccinated at the earliest opportunity. Across the state, our 16 university campuses are performing a public service by helping to distribute vaccines to faculty, staff, students and members of the community.”

The UNC Wilmington (UNCW) COVID-19 virus vaccine clinic at the Burney Center administered over 2,500 doses of the one-shot Johnson & Johnson vaccine prior to the clinic’s pause of operations due to reports of rare blood clots possibly linked to this specific vaccine. 

In the past two weeks, UNCW has only reported 19 positive cases of the COVID-19 virus for off-campus students and 17 positive cases for on-campus students.