UNCW campus police chief retiring

Veronica Wernicke, News Editor

Effective June 1, UNC Wilmington university police chief, David Donaldson will be retiring. Maj. Chris Bertram, assistant police chief will serve as interim police chief until the replacement search begins in September. 

Donaldson has been with the university police department (UPD) for 29 years when he joined in 1992. In 2003, he was promoted to police chief. 

“While the chief’s accomplishments during his tenure are impressive, it is the manner in which he has led that has always impressed me (candid but always kind, with an unwavering commitment to UNCW),” wrote Miles Lackey, vice chancellor for business affairs, in the announcement email.

“Like many of you, I will miss working with chief on a regular basis, but also celebrate his reaching this professional and personal milestone. Over the coming days and weeks, please join me in wishing chief well in his future endeavors.”

During his time at UNCW, Donaldson worked to enhance relationships with other nearby law enforcement agencies, advocacy agencies, and the district attorney’s office. Additionally, he instituted enhanced emergency situations training for officers, dispatchers and UNCW stakeholders. Donaldson oversaw facility and emergency notification system updates which helped address various campus policing needs.

Under his leadership, the UPD is in its final stages of becoming a nationally accredited department. 

“I feel honored to be able to say our university can be proud of its police department. The women and men in all roles and responsibilities are highly capable and dedicated to the department’s mission and the university’s role in helping make dreams come true,” said Donaldson in the announcement.

“I can say the same of the countless administrators, faculty, staff, senior officers and other colleagues with whom I have interacted for nearly three decades.”