UNCW increases attendance capacity at campus venues

Amanda Leahey, Contributing Writer

Following the announcement of Gov. Roy Cooper’s executive order 195UNC Wilmington (UNCW) has increased its attendance capacity for both nonathletic indoor and outdoor campus events. The change was implemented March 2 and increases non-athletic indoor campus event from 10 people to 25 and outdoor non-athletic events from 25 people to 50 people.  

An email sent out by UNCW’s office of university relations (OUR) detailed that although the indoor capacity has increased to 25 students, that capacity may not apply to smaller rooms where there is less space.  

On the other hand, larger campus arts venues such as Kenan Auditorium and the Cultural Arts Building can seat up to 30% of each venue’s fire capacity while still maintaining social distancing and other safety precautions.  

Seating capacity at sporting events were updated previously on Feb. 25 and vary based on venues, with the largest being Trask Coliseum hosting men and women’s basketball at a capacity of 780 people 

Besides seating capacity, all other guidelines for campus gatherings and activities remain the same as before 

Social distanced seating. (Kaylin Damico)

Other safety precautions such as surveillance testing for students continue and visiting hours remain 11 a.m. to 11 p.m 

With the announcement of executive order 195, UNCW is reconsidering its graduation plans for the class of 2021. The email sent out by OUR mentioned that numerous healthy and safety concerns need to be discussed prior tmaking an official announcement, but the university previously announced plans to hold spring commencement virtually. 

Exception requests for campus gatherings can be submitted to the exception review committee by emailing a form based on where the event would be taking place. Events taking place in academic buildings are to be sent to space planning & management ([email protected]) and events for all other locations should be sent to campus life ([email protected]).