Dubthon raises money for Duke Children’s Hospital for fourth year

Layla Culler, Contributing Writer

For the fourth year, the UNC Wilmington sorority Phi Mu, and the business fraternity Pi Sigma Epsilon have partnered up to help raise money for Duke Children’s Hospital by hosting a virtual dance marathon on March 20.

In the past, they have hosted Dubthon for eight hours on campus. However, with the coronavirus restrictions, they have had to convert this event into two hour live-streamed event with extra parts prerecorded.

Students can sign up to be a dancer for $15 on their website and donations can be made until April 30.

Everyone who has signed up to be a dancer will get a link sent to their email account on the day of the event. T-shirts with a special gift bag are also available for purchase.

“Our school is on a mission to help sick and injured kids in our local community. We are raising funds and awareness through Dance Marathon for our local Children’s Miracle Network Hospital, which treats children from our area and provides life-saving care to sick and injured kids in need,” per a statement on their website.

They have been contacting various clubs and groups so they can incorporate their acts and performances into this event as well. Their fundraising goal for this year is a little bit lower than previous years at $35,000, but they are excited about what their current goal can accomplish.

“I’m excited about the change,” said Spencer Cathcart, a member of Pi Sigma Epsilon and the director of operations for Dubthon. “It’s a big challenge, but it’s something that we can definitely face. It’s all about the families. The greatest thing that I am looking forward to is seeing the families and seeing their faces again and seeing their excitement. It is something very rewarding.”

Cathcart is not the only one excited about what this year’s Dubthon holds.

“Collaborating with those people at the end of the day, knowing that you put in all of this work for the last six months and to do the reveal of the amount of money that you raised for them is something that I will be able to talk about for the rest of my life.” said Drew Lord, the public relations and social media chair of Pi Sigma Epsilon.

A patient at Duke Children’s Hospital stated that the one thing that she wished people knew about this event is how much it helped the families and parents of the children.

“I have seen what it can do and what all this money goes into,” said a patient from Duke Children’s Hospital. “I think that is something incredible.”