2021 UNCW teaching award nominations open through January

Lauren Wessell

The Seahawk statue on UNCW campus.

Veronica Wernicke, News Editor

Every year all UNC Wilmington (UNCW) chairpersons, directors, faculty, staff, students and alumni can nominate faculty members for The Chancellor’s Teaching Excellence Award and The Distinguished Teaching Professorship Award. Nominations for these 2021 awards officially opened on Nov. 23 and will be open until Jan. 22, 2021. 

To nominate a faculty member for either of these awards, the aforementioned people at UNCW must write a letter detailing why they believe that faculty member should win the award. Nominations for The Chancellor’s Teaching Excellence Award can be sent to the appropriate dean’s office. 

Nominations for the Distinguished Teaching Professorship Award should be sent to the Provost’s Office (via email to [email protected]) or a hard copy can be sent to Academic Affairs, 601 South College Rd., Wilmington, NC 28403-5900, attention: Dr. Carol Elli. 

Faculty members must also meet certain requirements to be eligible for each award.

Per the awards page on UNCW’s Academic Affairs website, requirements for The Chancellor’s Teaching Excellence Award are that: 

• “All nominees must be tenured faculty members who have been teaching in their respective area at UNCW for at least five years, 
  • Currently be teaching not less than half of the “normal teaching load” at UNCW, 
  • No faculty member shall be eligible to receive this award more than once within a five-year period, 
  • Those faculty members who are currently receiving a stipend for other UNCW teaching awards are not eligible and 
  • Faculty who are nominated for both the Chancellor’s Teaching Excellence Award and the Distinguished Teaching Professorship during the same year may submit a portfolio for consideration for one but not both of these awards.”

Meanwhile, requirements for The Distinguished Teaching Professorship Award are that:

• “All nominees must be tenured faculty members who have been teaching in their respective area at UNCW for at least seven years, 
  • All nominees shall currently be teaching not less than half of the “normal teaching load” at UNCW, 
  • No faculty member is eligible to receive this award more than once, 
  • Faculty who are nominated for both the Chancellor’s Teaching Excellence Award and the Distinguished Teaching Professorship Award during the same year may submit a portfolio for consideration for one but not both of these awards.”

For more information regarding either award or the nomination process, you can visit their webpages on UNCW’s Academic Affairs website.