New Hanover voter guide 2020: State offices

Tiffany Tertipes - Unsplash

American election mail envelope with face mask

Nicolas Ziccardi, Contributing Writer

Once again, America has reached that hallowed event voters hold both sacred in their hearts and yet seem to dread all the same. One roadblock many Americans face when picking their candidates are not only deciding who to pick but deciphering what position they are running for in the first place. Positions that may read as trivial or, frankly, boring, have potentially the greatest effect on citizens.

Not only do local candidates have the greatest control over the facets of life that reach their citizens, but they are also more closely linked and beholden to their constituents. So instead of focusing on two candidates you already know, this guide is intended to give you a better glimpse not only at who you are voting for, but what they are running for.

Check out The Seahawks voting guides for federal and local offices as well. 

N.C. Governor: 

Gubernatorial Debate  

Roy Cooper (Democrat): 

What they say about themselves:

Per the Governor’s WebsiteRoy entered public service because he loves North Carolina and understands the challenges facing our families and communities. At home, he served as a Sunday School teacher and tutored in public schools. In the NC House and Senate, Roy fought to increase teacher pay and reduce class sizes. He wrote North Carolina’s first children’s health insurance initiative. Roy believes every child in North Carolina deserves the same opportunities that he had – and that he wants for his own daughters. I want a North Carolina where people are better educated, healthier, have more money in their pockets, and have the opportunity to live lives of purpose and abundance.  

Stated Accomplishments:

Per the Governor’s Website,  

1. “As governor of North Carolina, Roy has fought for good-paying jobs, strong public schools, access to quality, affordable health care, and a safer and more just North Carolina.”
  2. “Roy has announced tens of thousands of new jobs across North Carolina, including in North Carolina’s rural and economically distressed counties. He has also created initiatives such as NC Job Ready, Finish Line Grants, and Hometown Strong.”
  3. “Governor Cooper worked with members of both parties to repeal HB2 to fight discrimination and repair the damage to North Carolina’s economy and reputation. His leadership put North Carolina back on a path to success and opened the door for thousands of new jobs and the return of concerts, shows, and major athletic events such as the NBA All-Star Game.” 

Dan Forest (Republican): 

What they say about themselves:

Per the Lt. Governors Website, “Dan grew up in Charlotte and graduated from the College of Architecture at UNC Charlotte. He then began a two-decade career as an architect and businessman, ultimately becoming an office president and senior partner in the state’s largest architecture firm. Dan left behind that successful career in 2012 to pursue a calling to serve the people of North Carolina. That November, Dan was elected lieutenant governor of North Carolina, becoming only the second Republican elected to the office since 1897. In 2016, he became the first to ever be re-elected., “Over two decades as an architect, Dan Forest learned how to craft a vision and then lay the plans to make it a reality. Dan left behind that successful career to put those skills to work for the people of North Carolina. Dan’s campaign for governor is about three things: unity, opportunity and possibility. 

What they say about the issues:

Per the Lt. Governors Website,  

1. “Dan Forest believes the Second Amendment secures all the rights enshrined in our Constitution. He stands with the North Carolina counties that are affirming our right to keep and bear arms. When he is Governor, this right will never be in jeopardy in our state.”
  2. “Dan Forest believes we have a human dignity problem in America. He believes in the dignity of all life — the newborn, the unborn, the elderly, the orphaned, and the disabled. He is proud to be pro-life, affirming that all people are created in the image of God and all people deserve the same protection.”
  3. “There is a distinct difference between immigration and illegal immigration.  We need a system in place that makes it easier for legal immigrants, and businesses in need of workers, to navigate a guest worker program. A nation that can’t protect its borders isn’t much of a nation at all. In North Carolina, a handful of Democrat sheriffs are allowing dangerous, criminal, unlawful illegal aliens to be released back into our communities — putting our families in danger. As Governor, Dan Forest will uphold the law and work with our law enforcement to keep you and your family safe.” 

Steven J. DiFiore (Libertarian):  

What they say about themselves:

Per the Candidates Website, “I’m not bound by the standard politics and hidebound thinking of Team Red and Team Blue. It often seems that Democrats and Republicans can only be counted on to do the right thing when it hurts the other team. These partisan games don’t promote the common good. Toeing the party line is great at furthering one’s career in government, but not necessarily the best thing for communities in need. A desire for a better kind of politics in our state. That’s what motivates me to work against the status quo and towards more people and community based solutions. 

Al Pisano (Constitution):  

What they say about themselves:

Per the Candidates Website, “Principle over Politics. North Carolinians need a governor who will hold fast to the Constitution and fight to protect everyone’s rights. These rights are not man-made, but are God-given rights that shall not be infringed upon.” 

N.C. Lieutenant Governor: 

Per the Office of Lieutenant Governor, In many ways, the Lt. Governor serves in a role similar to that of the nation’s Vice President in that they assist the Governor in carrying out his constitutional duties. They also serve as the President of the State Senate, with ability to cast tie-breaking votes as a member of the Governor’s Council of State on the State Board of Education, NC Board of Community Colleges, State Economic Development Board and the Military Affairs Commission. The Lt. Governor also has a unique role as a nexus between Education and Economic Development, The Lt. Governor is the only elected official to serve at both the executive and legislative level. 

Mark Robinson (Republican):  

What they say about themselves:

Per the Candidates Website, “Mark Robinson is a true American Patriot. Born and raised in Greensboro, he grew up in an impoverished house as the 9th of 10 children. Experiencing alcoholism and witnessing domestic abuse first hand, Mark was able not only to survive, but thrive. Mark served in the Army Reserves as a medical specialist, has worked in manufacturing, and owned a small business. He not only knows the people of North Carolina, he is North Carolina. 

What they say about the issues:

Per the Candidates Website, 

1. 2nd Amendment: Mark has been a fierce fighter for the 2nd Amendment, as was seen in his Greensboro City Council speech. Since then he has continued to stand for the 2nd Amendment, serving on the Board of Directors for the NRA.
  2. Pro- LifeMark grew up as the 9th of 10 siblings. In poverty, and with an abusive alcoholic father, he ended up in foster care. The radical left believes stories like his should not exist because low income families should abort their babies rather than giving them the opportunity to grow up in sub- optimal conditions. As a Christian, Mark will honor the sanctity of life.
  3. EducationMark believes that education is one of the most important issues that our state faces today. He believes that education should be just that, education; Indoctrination in our public schools must end. Mark advocates for parents having the decision in how and where their children are educated and supports school choice. As a part of supporting school choice, he believes that we should continue and strengthen opportunity scholarship programs which allows students of lower economic statuses to have the opportunity to go to a school outside of the public school system and to receive financial assistance to do so. 

Click here for an interview with the candidate.  

Yvonne Lewis Holley (Democrat): 

What they say about themselves:

Per the Candidates Website, “Representative Yvonne Lewis Holley was born in Raleigh and was part of the changing south. Early in her life, she learned the values of hard work, dedication and honor. It was learning from her parents the importance of public service and courage that serve as motivation today. 

What they say about the issues:

Per the Candidates Website, 

1. “Criminal Justice Reform: In order for people who have served in the criminal justice system to become viable citizens, there must be some criminal justice reform. Let’s begin with money: the state needs to fund the Raise the Age juvenile program, and provide more funding to programs like the Juvenile Crime Prevention Council. We must end the use of bail as a punishment for people who are not at flight risk and have not been found guilty of any crime. I strongly oppose taking away driver’s licenses for non payment of fines. We must end this form of punishment for non-traffic violations. We must work with and support the Second Chance Act and other re-entry programs, which allow people who have served their time to begin rebuilding their lives
  2. Gun Legislation: I support legislation that bans assault weapons and magazines. I believe we need to require background checks and licensing permits for all firearms. The gun show loophole needs to be closed; private to private sales must require the firearm be registered to the new owner (like vehicle registration transfers). I support Extreme Risk Protection Order legislation, also known as Red Flag Laws. Our safe storage legislation needs to be strengthened and required in all homes and locations with firearms, not just in homes with minors.
  3. EnvironmentThroughout my professional career, I worked for the NC Department of Administration in the Purchase and Contract Division. While there, I handled purchases and contracts for DEQ. I made sure that the DEQ had quality testing equipment for air, water, and service contracts that provided clean up services which had a positive environmental impact. The top environmental issues affecting this state are declining water and air quality. For example: the hog waste in Eastern NC, building the gas pipeline across the state, the GENX problem,  and the continuing pollution from coal ash ponds. Much of the hog waste pollution of air and water are located in poor and minority communities with little resources to fight back or get fair compensation for loss of quality of life. 

N.C. Attorney General: 

Per The Department Website, “The N.C. Department of Justice has four primary functions: to provide legal representation to state agencies, to assist local law enforcement in fighting crime and prosecuting cases, to provide training and standards for law enforcement and to protect North Carolina consumers. The Attorney General, as head of the department, also provides legal opinions at the request of public officials and handles all criminal appeals from state trial courts. When public safety and interests are at stake, the Attorney General can take legal action on behalf of the state and its people.” 

Jim O’Neill (Republican): 

What they say about themselves:

Per the Candidates WebsiteJim was previously appointed Forsyth County District Attorney in 2009 and is currently serving his third term as Forsyth County’s elected District Attorney. Over the past 24 years, Jim has prosecuted some of the most serious and violent offenders in our community. 

Learn more about where the candidate stands on the issues here. 

Josh Stein (Democrat): 

What they say about themselves:

Per the Attorney Generals WebsiteJosh Stein has the experience and values the people of North Carolina need in their Attorney General. Josh has consistently taken on powerful interests to protect families. Just as he has his entire career, Josh is putting the people of North Carolina first as Attorney General. 

Learn more about where the Attorney General stands on the issues here.  

N.C. Auditor:  

Per the Office of the State AuditorThe State Auditor has broad powers to examine all books, records, files, papers, documents, and financial affairs of every state agency. The State Auditor also has the power to summon people to produce records and to answer questions under oath. The Office of the State Auditor performs an array of work, including financial statement audits, financial related audits, performance audits, information technology audits, and investigative reports. We examine all facets of state government, including education, health, transportation, computer systems, regulatory processes, and public safety. We conduct special studies as requested by the Legislature and audit federal grant programs to ensure North Carolina can continue to receive federal money. Our work helps improve the efficiency of state government and helps the state retain its coveted AAA bond rating. 

Anthony Wayne (Tony) Street (Republican):  

Note: While attempting to stay as neutral and non-biased as possible, it would be morally reprehensible not to mention allegations that have leveled at Street. According to News & Observer, “A man who wants to be state auditor was put on probation in connection with a stalking charge, and also has been accused of refusing to obey orders from police, causing a scene at a concert and threatening a man’s family over money. Anthony Wayne Street, 38, of Brunswick County, has not been convicted on the criminal charges, which date back to 2012.” Information from the candidate’s website has still been made available, but it is important to treat these allegations with the seriousness they deserve. 

What they say about themselves:

Per the Candidates WebsiteI am a fiscal, moral and social conservative that wants to serve YOU as your next North Carolina State Auditor!”, “As a North Carolina native and a resident of Brunswick County, I have watched our state’s economy change from one based almost solely upon farming and textiles to one that depends largely upon finance, technology and research. Our state has also experienced cultural and demographic shifts that have been influenced by the changes in our economy. 

Beth A. Wood (Democrat): 

What they say about themselves:

Per the Auditor’s WebsiteBeth Wood is a long-time public servant with over 30 years of auditing experience.  The first woman elected to that office, Beth has served as State Auditor since 2009. She previously worked in the State Auditor’s Office for more than a decade and also served in the State Treasurer’s Office.  Prior to state government, Beth worked with Rayovac Corporation, as a CPA with McGladrey & Pullen and was the CFO for a North Carolina-based furniture company. 

N.C. Agriculture Commissioner: 

Per the Office of the Commissioner of Agriculture, The N.C. Agriculture Commissioner is the head of the N.C. Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services’ divisions. They have responsibilities in regulatory and service areas covering agronomy; animal health; weights and measures; gas and oil inspection; crop and livestock statistics; USDA commodity distribution; state farm operations; food, drug and cosmetic testing for purity; agricultural marketing and promotion; agricultural marketing grading; international agricultural crop and livestock marketing; operation of four state farmers markets; research station operations; seed and fertilizer inspection; nursery and plant pest eradication activities; regulation of the structural pest control industry; agricultural environmental issues; soil and water conservation; forest management and protection; state and federal agricultural legislation; and agricultural economic analysis. 

Steve Troxler (Republican): 

What they say about themselves:

Per the Commissioners WebsiteN.C. Agriculture Commissioner Steve Troxler was raised in the Guilford County community of Browns Summit and has spent his entire career in agriculture as founder, owner and operator of Troxler Farms. Over the years, the family-owned farm has produced tobacco, wheat, vegetables and soybeans. Since taking office in 2005, Troxler has focused on developing new markets for N.C. farm products, preserving working farms and protecting the state’s food supply. 

Jenna Wadsworth (Democrat): 

What they say about themselves:

Per the Candidates Website, “Jenna was born in Raleigh, but she grew up off a dirt road on her grandparents’ farm in Johnston County which raised corn, soybeans, tobacco, cattle, cotton, and hogs. She proudly graduated from the North Carolina School of Science and Mathematics (NCSSM) in Durham in 2007. In December 2011, she graduated Magna Cum Laude from North Carolina State University with majors in Political Science—with a concentration in American Politics—and Women’s and Gender Studies and a minor in English. In November 2010—at the age of 21—Jenna made history with her election to a four-year term on the Wake County Soil and Water Conservation District Board of Supervisors by becoming the youngest woman ever elected to public office in North Carolina. 

N.C. Commissioner of Insurance: 

Per the Department of Insurance, “We can help you: Understand your insurance policy, File a complaint or appeal with your insurance company, Identify enrollment opportunities for health insurance coverage, Locate a lost life insurance policy, Find contact information for an insurance company, Report suspected insurance fraud, and Check the license status of an insurance agent or insurance company. In addition to regulating the insurance industry, the N.C. Department of Insurance houses the Office of State Fire Marshal. Under state law, the Insurance Commissioner serves as State Fire Marshal. From training fire and rescue personnel, to helping improve building codes, to awarding grants to fire and rescue departments for equipment, OSFM plays a vital role in protecting lives and property in North Carolina. 

Mike Causey (Republican): 

What they say about themselves:

Per the Candidates Website, “Mike Causey is not just another candidate – he’s lived the life and understands what is involved with the insurance industry. Mike Causey has 25 years of experience working in insurance. He is also a military veteran and understands the laws. Mike Causey is truly a “man of the people.” He’s not about fame or status – he’s just a man who cares about North Carolina and wants to make a difference in his community 

Wayne Goodwin (Democrat): 

What they say about themselves:

Per the Commissioners Website, “Wayne Goodwin is a native of Hamlet, North Carolina.  .  For eight years Wayne fought for public education, economic development, public safety, clean water and air, election law improvements, and a healthcare bill of rights. After four elected terms as a state legislator, he became the Assistant General Counsel and Assistant state Insurance Commissioner for four years.  Voters in 2008 then elected Wayne as only the 10th state Insurance Commissioner in North Carolina since 1899. 

N.C. Commissioner of Labor: 

Per the Department of LaborThe NC Department of Labor is charged with promoting the “health, safety and general well-being” of more than 4 million workers in the state. The department serves the needs of the workplace through a variety of programs aimed at making the employees of North Carolina safe. A commissioner of labor is elected every four years as head of the department and also serves on the Council of State. The commissioner has broad regulatory and enforcement powers to carry out the department’s duties and responsibilities.” 

Josh Dobson (Republican): 

What they say about themselves:

Per the Candidates Website, “Representative Josh Dobson has served in the North Carolina House of Representatives for four terms, representing the people of Avery, McDowell and Mitchell counties. Prior to his appointment to the House in 2013, Josh served as a McDowell County Commissioner. Currently serving as Chairman of the Appropriations Committee, as well Chairman of the Health Policy Committee, Josh has worked diligently to find consensus while producing conservative common-sense solutions for the people of North Carolina. 

Jessica Holmes (Democrat): 

What they say about themselves:

Per the Candidates WebsiteJessica N. Holmes is a workers’ rights advocate, policy expert, and fighter for fairness and social justice. Jessica is running to become the next North Carolina Commissioner of Labor to continue her advocacy for workers and use her understanding of rural and urban challenges to create training and job opportunities for all North Carolinians. Jessica has spent the majority of her professional career as a labor and employment law attorney advocating for workers’ rights to fair pay, benefits, and safe working conditions. 

N.C. Secretary of State: 

Per the Office of the Secretary of State, “The Office of the Secretary of State works to support economic growth, promote the public trust, fulfill statutory mandates by providing initial infrastructure for corporate organizations and transactions, and protecting citizens and businesses from misrepresentation and fraud by providing public access to accurate and timely information, through law enforcement and through the issuance of professional credentials. 

E.C. Sykes (Republican): 

What they say about themselves:

Per the Candidates Website, E.C. is a successful servant-leader with fresh ideas who will guide improvements to state government through a conservative business lens. As a compassionate Christian, he will take a defining stand for family, life, and freedom. As a successful business leader, E.C. knows better than anyone how to help hard-working families of North Carolina. Where career politicians have failed, E.C. will succeed by bringing transparency and efficiency to our state government with commonsense policies like honoring the rule of law, cutting waste, limiting the size of government, and restoring citizens’ confidence in our government.” 

Elaine Marshall (Democrat): 

What they say about themselves:

Per the Secretary’s Website, “Secretary Marshall was a member of the NC State Senate before rising to statewide office. She holds a B.S. in Home Economics from the University of Maryland and a law degree from Campbell University. . Her work experiences include teaching Home Economics in the public school and community college systems, co-ownership of a book and gift store, establishing an interior decorating business and the private practice of law. Secretary Marshall has been very active in many civic groups in the areas of child welfare, women’s issues, and agriculture and small town economic development.” 

NC Superintendent of Public Instruction: 

Per the Department of Public Instruction“The North Carolina Department of Public Instruction (NCDPI) is charged with implementing the state’s public school laws for pre-kindergarten through 12th grade public schools at the direction of the State Board of Education and the Superintendent of Public Instruction. The agency provides leadership and service to the 116 local public school districts and 2,500+ district public schools, 180+ charter schools, and the three residential schools for students with hearing and visual impairments. 

Catherine Truitt (Republican):  

What they say about themselves:

Per the Candidates Website, “Catherine Truitt has devoted her adult life to education with a heavy focus on ensuring that all students have the opportunity to receive a quality education and that students graduate high school, college or career-ready with the skills they need to succeed in today’s world. 

Jen Mangrum (Democrat): 

What they say about themselves:

Per the Candidates Website, “ Jen continues to work with our Governor, many members of the General Assembly, local-level politicians and activists, and the diverse public education community to push North Carolina forward, towards a brighter future in which our state is widely known for its excellent treatment of children, educators, experts, and the pursuit of knowledge. 

N.C. Treasurer: 

Per the Department of the State Treasurer, “The NC Department of the State Treasurer administers the public employee retirement systems for more than 900,000 North Carolinians, as well as the 401(k), 457, and 403(b) supplemental retirement plans for public employees. The Department also administers the State Health Plan for more than 700,000 state employees, retirees, and their dependents. The Department provides fiscal assistance and expertise to local governmental units by assisting them in the sale of local government debt obligations and maintaining good budgeting, accounting, reporting, and other fiscal procedures. It also administers NC Cash, the unclaimed property database that holds approximately $340 million. 

Ronnie Chatterji (Democrat): 

What they say about themselves:

Per the Candidates Website, “I want to be your next Treasurer to improve the lives of all North Carolinians. The State Treasurer protects North Carolina’s pension investments, manages the state employee health plan, and approves municipal and state bonds. My background as a business strategy professor at Duke University, adviser to some of the world’s leading organizations, and White House economic adviser to President Obama has prepared me to do this job. We need a treasurer who can get down to business, analyze data, and deliver results. I believe North Carolina’s next Treasurer should be a leader on the issues that matter most. 

Dale R. Folwell (Republican): 

What they say about themselves:

Per the Treasurer Website, Dale Folwell’s career achievements and legislative track record clearly demonstrate the traits that North Carolinians say they want in their North Carolina State Treasurer: A conservative who consistently finds conservative and common sense solutions. A leader who is committed to putting North Carolinians first. A strong legislative track record. An ability to clearly demonstrate the intellectual and policy risks that are necessary to fix North Carolina. Dale’s record is unmatched in his ability to get meaningful legislation passed; even while sitting in the opposition, he gets things fixed! 

N.C. Supreme Court Chief Justice (Seat 1): 

Per the NC Judicial Branch, “The Supreme Court of North Carolina is the state’s highest court, and there is no further appeal from its decisions on matters of state law. It is made up of the Chief Justice, who also serves as head of the Judicial Branch, and six associate justices. Each justice serves an eight-year term. The Supreme Court has no jury and makes no determinations of fact, but it considers whether error occurred at trial or in judicial interpretation of the law. 

Click here for an interview with the candidates. 

Cheri Beasley (Democrat): 

What they say about themselves:

Per the candidate’s Website, “Cheri Beasley believes passionately in having an independent judicial branch that administers justice fairly and she also knows the courts can play an important role in helping people better their lives. That’s why she is working to engage schools, law enforcement, faith leaders, and other stakeholders in discussions about important community issues.  And by implementing online services and increasing the number of specialty courts, she’s also working to make the judicial system more accessible to all North Carolinians. 

Paul Newby (Republican): 

What they say about themselves:

Per the candidate’s Website, “Justice Newby reflects his judicial philosophy in his votes on the important cases the Supreme Court of North Carolina decides. He has written numerous majority, concurring, and dissenting opinions, which can be found here. As illustrated by the reported decisions, Justice Newby believes in judicial restraint; he supports enforcement of the Constitution as enacted by the people, of statutes as intended by the General Assembly, and of contracts as agreed to by the parties. Justice Newby is a constitutional and historical scholar who understands the political theories of our founders. 

N.C. Supreme Court Associate Justice (Seat 2): 

Phil Berger, Jr. (Republican): 

What they say about themselves:

Per the candidate’s Website, “North Carolina needs experienced and fair representation at all levels in our judicial system. Phil Berger, Jr. works hard to ensure that our Courts enforce laws as they are written and give reasonable interpretation to regulations to ensure predictability and consistency amongst litigants. 

Lucy Inman (Democrat): 

What they say about themselves:

Per the candidate’s Website, “Judge Lucy Inman has served in courtrooms across North Carolina for more than a decade, first in the Superior Court and now on the Court of Appeals. Her record shows that she always follows the law and treats every person in court equally, fairly, and with respect. Judge Lucy Inman’s experience makes her uniquely qualified to advance the cause of justice on the North Carolina Supreme Court. 

N.C. Supreme Court Associate Justice (Seat 4): 

Tamara Barringer (Republican): 

What they say about themselves:

Per the candidate’s Website, “ I have a deep love for the law — as such, I believe in the importance of maintaining a strict Constitutional interpretation of the laws passed by the General Assembly. It is imperative that we have justices who refrain from legislating from the bench.   After prayerful deliberation, I concluded that I want to serve on the North Carolina Supreme Court. I am uniquely qualified for this position– given my 20 plus years of private practice experience, over 19 years teaching law, and almost 7 years of legislative experience writing new and improving existing laws. 

Mark Davis (Democrat): 

What they say about themselves:

Per the candidate’s Website, “For approximately two years, Justice Davis served as General Counsel in the Office of the Governor. In 2012, he was appointed to the North Carolina Court of Appeals by Governor Beverly Perdue. During his six years as an Associate Judge on the Court of Appeals, he authored over 500 opinions.  Justice Davis has been active in professional and civic organizations. He has served on a number of committees of the North Carolina Bar Association and has lectured extensively throughout the state on appellate advocacy issues.” 

N.C. Court of Appeals: 

Per the NC Judicial Branch, “The North Carolina Court of Appeals is the state’s only intermediate appellate court. Our judicial system has three levels of courts: Trial courts (District courts and Superior courts), the Court of Appeals, and the Supreme Court of North Carolina. Appellate courts work differently from trial courts, because this Court hears appeals in cases already tried, either by a bench trial or a jury trial, or before an agency or administrative law judge. Most cases are appealed from the trial level to the Court of Appeals, although a few specific types of appeals go directly to the Supreme Court of North Carolina. 

N.C. Court of Appeals Judge (Seat 4): 

Tricia Shields (Democrat): 

What they say about themselves:

Per the candidate’s Website, “I began my career almost 35 years ago as a law clerk to Chief Judge Hedrick of the North Carolina Court of Appeals. Judge Hedrick taught me, by example, that a Court of Appeals Judge must be a student of the law, understand the law’s application to the facts of each case, and make decisions that are fair, impartial, and consistent.”, I’m running to bring the Court the experience, talent, intellect and work-ethic to give every case the individual attention that it deserves.” 

April C. Wood (Republican): 

What they say about themselves:

Per the candidate’s Website, “People routinely ask why I do what I do. I serve as a district court judge because I love it. My passion to ensure the best outcomes for families and youth in our community and my dedication to our community and desire to make it the best place to live and raise my family are some of the main reasons that I have served as a district court judge for more than seventeen years.  During my career I have come to realize the importance of having judges on the appellate bench with direct, hands on trial court judicial experience, especially district court experience; therefore, I am seeking a seat on the North Carolina Court of Appeals where I can serve all of the citizens of this state.” 

N.C. Court of Appeals Judge (Seat 5): 

Lora Christine Cubbage (Democrat): 

What they say about themselves:

Per the candidate’s WebsiteI am Lora C. Cubbage, and I bring Integrity, Fairness, Competence, and Respect to the bench, and your vote will ensure that those same qualities remain on the Court of Appeals. I stand on my Oath in that I will protect and defend both the NC and US Constitution. We must continue to diversify our State and work together across isles to make an NC that all of her citizens can be proud to call home. I will continue to fight for the rights of every citizen in our State and fight to continue to move NC forward. I am the right choice at the right time! 

Fred Gore (Republican): 

What they say about themselves:

Per the candidate’s WebsiteA local, homegrown leader, Judge Fred Gore exemplifies fairness and selfless service as a District Court Judge and as a Judge Advocate General (JAG) officer in the North Carolina National Guard. From his simple beginnings in Supply, North Carolina, to his multiple military deployments to the Middle East, Judge Gore’s character is a reflection of small town Christian values and his military expertise. During highly stressful conditions, these laudable qualities reflect the genuine nature of a man who values faith, integrity, and professionalism. 

N.C. Court of Appeals Judge (Seat 6): 

Gray Styers (Democrat): 

What they say about themselves:

Per the candidate’s WebsiteThrough the many cases I have handled, as an adjunct law professor, and as a leader in the profession, I have studied and observed the work of judges in deciding hard cases, carefully crafting legal opinions, and shaping the jurisprudence of our state.  I understand the importance of the work of our courts and worry about declining public confidence in the impartiality and independence of our judges. North Carolina is my home.  I have devoted my whole life to it.  I know how critical it is to protect the rule of law so there is a chance for everyone to live a safe, fulfilling and meaningful life. 

Chris Dillon (Republican): 

What they say about themselves:

Per the candidate’s WebsiteOur judiciary is not a place for partisanship. As an appellate judge, I have strived to follow the law in an impartial way, no matter my personal attitude about the case. I am honored to have received broad bi-partisan support for my re-election, including former judges and other elected officials from both major parties.”, “Our Court of Appeals is comprised of 15 judges, all elected statewide, and is our State’s second highest court. In 2012, the people of North Carolina elected me to our State’s Court of Appeals. It has been the greatest privilege of my professional life to serve you and our State as a judge on this Court. I am seeking re-election this year and would be honored to have your vote again. 

N.C. Court of Appeals Judge (Seat 7): 

Reuben F. Young (Democrat): 

What they say about themselves:

Per the candidate’s WebsiteJudge Reuben F. Young was appointed by Gov. Roy Cooper to the North Carolina Court of Appeals on April 15, 2019. Previously, Judge Young served as Interim Chief Deputy Secretary of Adult Corrections and Juvenile Justice. In this role, Judge Young worked with state officials to enhance safety in prisons and to improve the rehabilitation of offenders. He has traveled across the State to survey facilities and to speak with state employees about improving the prison system. 

Jeff Carpenter (Republican): 

What they say about themselves:

Per the candidate’s WebsiteJeff Carpenter is Senior Resident Superior Court Judge for Union County. Judge Carpenter presides over the Criminal and Civil Superior Courts of Union County. Judge Carpenter also holds Court in other counties within the Third Superior Court Division on rotation. Judge Carpenter is a former North Carolina State Trooper and trial attorney. He was appointed to fill a vacancy on the Superior Court bench in Union County by Governor Pat McCrory in 2016. Judge Carpenter was elected to serve an 8-year term as resident Superior Court Judge for Union county in November of 2016. 

N.C. Court of Appeals Judge (Seat 13): 

Chris Brook (Democrat): 

What they say about themselves:

Per the candidate’s Website, “Active in the local community, Chris serves as Chair of the Board of Transplanting Traditions Community Farm. He previously served as Chair of the Board of the Orange County Partnership for Young Children and as a founding member of a monthly housing law clinic at El Centro Hispano in Durham. Chris also served on the Size of the School Task Force and Pro Bono Alumni Board at Carolina Law and as an attorney volunteer at the Compass Center for Women and Families. Chris is also the current Chair of the North Carolina Bar Association’s Constitutional Rights and Responsibilities Section.   Since his April 2019 appointment to the North Carolina Court of Appeals by Governor Roy Cooper, Chris has authored more than 75 opinions that speak to his rigor, fairness, and respect for each North Carolinian who appears before him.” 

Jefferson G. Griffin (Republican): 

What they say about themselves:

Per the candidate’s Website, “ In 2008, Judge Griffin graduated from North Carolina Central School of Law. He began practicing law in Kinston, North Carolina. In 2010, Judge Griffin joined the Wake County District Attorney’s Office where he prosecuted cases from infractions to first degree murder. In 2015, Jefferson was appointed by Governor McCrory to be a District Court Judge in Wake County. Judge Griffin was elected to a four-year term in the 2016 general election in Wake County. Judge Griffin also serves as a Captain in the North Carolina Army National Guard as a JAG Officer, with whom he was deployed overseas from 2019 – 2020. He is assigned to the 30th Armored Brigade Combat Team, known as “Old Hickory”.” 

N.C. State Senate District 9: 

Harper Peterson (Democrat): 

What they say about themselves:

Per the candidate’s website, This is a critical time for our region and our state. I’ve spent most of my life, as a citizen and an elected official, advocating for the environment, sustainable growth, and equal opportunity for all of our citizens. I’m eager to continue to put my experience and energy to work in the State Senate to fight for clean water and air, access to affordable healthcare, a well-funded public education system, and smart growth and development – and that’s just the tip of the iceberg.  We are fortunate to live in one of the finest areas in the country, and I am ready to be your voice and your vote to protect it for future generations and to make sure all of our citizens have the opportunity to succeed. On November 3, 2020, I’ll be on your NC Senate District 9 ballot as the Democratic nominee, and I hope I’ll have earned your vote. It’s time we keep the interests of New Hanover County on the agenda in Raleigh and “Take the Majority” in 2020. 

Where they stand on the issues 

Michael Lee (Republican): 

What they say about themselves:

Per the candidate’s website, We need a proven leader in the North Carolina Senate, with the ability and effectiveness to represent the best interests of every New Hanover County resident. Michael Lee is that leader. In his four years of service in the NC Senate (2015 – 2018), Michael made a tremendous impact on his colleagues and constituents by championing education rights for all school children, fighting for clean and safe drinking water, keeping our beaches beautiful, and bringing film back to Wilmington. We hope that you will vote Michael Lee for responsible Republican representation of NC Senate District 9. 

Where they stand on the issues 

N.C. House of Representatives District 18: 

Deb Butler (Democrat): 

What they say about themselves:

Per the candidate’s WebsiteA native of North Carolina, Representative Butler’s roots run deep in the Old North State. Growing up in NC is such a source of pride for Deb. She remembers thinking how progressive North Carolina was as a southern state back then. Our roads, our public education system, and our community college and university systems served as models nationwide and were the envy of other states. She looks forward to continuing her service to the citizens of NC as we work together to guarantee a stellar public education for all of our children, to build state of the art infrastructure, and to cultivate a culture that welcomes new businesses to NC. There is still much work to do to rebuild our national reputation, but she is eager and optimistic about the future of NC and wants to continue to be a part of it! 

Warren Kennedy (Republican): 

What they say about themselves:

Per the candidate’s WebsiteWarren maintains a sworn law enforcement status; serves as an Adjunct Instructor for both Cape Fear Community College and James Sprunt Community College; and is a Federal contractor with the United States Department of Justice as a Special Investigator for the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms, and Explosives.  In his spare time, Warren enjoys spending time with friends and discussing current events.  His desire to ‘get involved’ and assist others stems from his rural upbringing where he was taught to work hard but never forget what it was like to have little. Warren is the conservative candidate for NC House District 18 and he would appreciate your support.  Visit his Campaign page on Facebook to learn about his stance on issues and we hope you will vote Kennedy for NC House on November 3rd.