UNCW Athletics experiences first COVID-19 cases

Noah Powers/The Seahawk

Janel Gamache (9) throws a pitch during UNCW’s matchup with Howard in the Fairfield Inn & Suites Seahawk Softball Bash on Feb. 15, 2019.

Zachary Kilby, Sports Editor

WILMINGTON – On Oct. 5, UNC Wilmington Athletics identified 18 COVID-19 cases among its men’s soccer, women’s basketball, and softball teams. The school would not identify the names of the student-athletes who tested positive for the virus but assured the New Hanover County Health Department that contact tracing has been initiated. All 18 student-athletes are now isolating and receiving medical treatment as needed.

It is unknown if UNCW soccer, basketball, and others will continue to hold practices and team activities. With the beginning of the basketball season approaching within the next month, it is easy to wonder how these 18 cases will affect the future of UNCW Athletics as a whole.

This is still a developing story. As more information is gathered, future articles will follow up with the condition of the student-athletes who tested positive along with the outlook of the 2020-2021 seasons for all UNCW athletic teams.