UNCW reports COVID-19 cluster in University Suite O

The+Seahawk+statue+displayed+at+the+front+of+UNCWs+campus.+

Lauren Wessell

The Seahawk statue displayed at the front of UNCW’s campus.

Veronica Wernicke, News Editor

In an email sent out on Sept. 25, UNC Wilmington reported a six-person cluster of the coronavirus (COVID-19) cases. This cluster was reported to be in University Suit O. The university suites are located off of Walton Dr, across from Student Recreation Center. North Carolina Department of Health and Human Services defines a cluster as five or more cases that are close in proximity. 

Like previous UNCWAlerts, this one detailed that everyone involved in this cluster is either isolating or receiving medical attention. 

“The university has informed the New Hanover County Health Department, and contact tracing has been initiated with direct communication to anyone determined to have been in close contact with a positive individual,” as stated in the UNCWAlert. “A close contact is defined as someone who has been within 6 feet of an infected person for more than 15 minutes when either person has not been wearing a face covering. Those identified as a close contact will be notified directly and provided with further guidance.”

This is the seventh on-campus cluster UNCW has reported since returning classes in Aug. 

According to Dr. Katrin Wesner-Harts, Director of the Student Health Center and Interim Associate Vice Chancellor for Student Affairs, the recent de-densification efforts did not contribute to this cluster. 

According to UNCW’s data dashboard, which houses all the campus’s COVID-19 numbers, as of Sept. 28, there are currently 32 on-campus students, 96 off-campus students, two faculty and staff and one contractor with active COVID-19 virus positive cases. These recent numbers have contributed to a decline in positive COVID-19 cases at UNCW.