UNCW announces spring 2021 calendar

Lauren Wessell

Front of UNCW’s campus .

Veronica Wernicke, News Editor

On Sept. 25 UNC Wilmington (UNCW) sent an email to all students, faculty and staff announcing plans and the calendar for spring 2021. 

Classes for the spring will start on Wednesday, Jan. 20 to allow for more time between the end of the fall semester and the start of the spring. Spring break has also been canceled, but UNCW will not have classes during the Good Friday holiday from April 1 to 2. 

Spring 2021 commencement is still scheduled for May 7 through 8. Whether this will be in-person or virtual has not yet been decided. 

“Based on currently available information about the pandemic, UNCW has decided to alter its spring calendar to allow more time between winter break and the first day of classes, an approach designed to help reduce the spread of COVID-19,” as stated in the email. 

The mode of class delivery is still up in the air, however, UNCW noted that they are still planning to offer a combination of online, hybrid and face to face classes. 

Regarding spring, summer and fall 2020 graduation ceremonies, UNCW announced that graduates will be honored in a virtual commencement on Dec. 12. More information about this event can be found on the commencement website

This decision was made in guidance with current coronavirus (COVID-19) safety measures regarding the number of people who can gather indoors and safety socially distance.  

“Please keep in mind that these events, activities and calendars reflect the best and most current information available,” as stated in the email. “Given the nature of the pandemic, changing circumstances, including any new guidance from government agencies, may require the university to alter these plans in the weeks to come. If that happens, UNCW will endeavor to give you as much notice as possible”