The best 75 movies to watch on Netflix

Leah Lewis and Daniel Diemer in "The Half of It." (Netflix)

Brenna Flanagan, Editor-in-Chief

There are a lot of movies on Netflix for your viewing, but to avoid endless searching through categories that just push the same titles over again, we’ve created a list of the best movies, 75 to be exact, to watch on the streaming platform. This list is updated regularly as Netflix adds and removes titles, with new additions to this list indicated with an *asterisk.

1.21 (2008) 

An MIT student with dreams of becoming a doctor joins a secret group of five students and a math teacher learning how to cheat Vegas casinos. Through counting cards, fake identities and a system of signals, the gifted students play their luck as the stakes get higher and higher. It’ll make you dream about successful heists to get rid of the mountains of student debt you might have.

2. About Time (2013) 

In a way it’s about time travel, but with more emotional moments than science fiction. As a young adult, Tim (Domhnall Gleeson, “Star Wars: The Force Awakens”) finds out from his father that all the men in the family can relive and redo any moment in their lives. Tim uses that power to get things perfect with his dream girl, Mary, played by Rachel McAdams (“Doctor Strange,” “The Notebook”). The film follows how Tim learns from his ability throughout his life, so get your tissues ready. 

3. American Factory (2019) 

Winner of best documentary feature at this year’s Oscars, “American Factory” is the story of factory workers in Ohio after the Chinese company Fuyao opens a new factory in an abandoned General Motors plant. Initial feelings of hope and optimism give way to cultural conflict. The documentary is a close look into the lives of working-class Americans and human interaction.  

4. American Honey (2016) 

In need of an escape, teen girl Star, played by Sasha Lane (“The Miseducation of Cameron Post”) takes off with a traveling sales crew of kindred spirits looking for a good time. Traveling across the Midwest selling subscriptions by day and partying hard by night, Star thinks she finds her place in the chaotic gang of teenagers, as well as in the arms of fellow teen Jake, played by Shia LeBeouf (“Honey Boy”). This is another film from the A24 production company, so be prepared for a gritty look into the lives of teenagers on the loose. 

5. Amy (2015) 

Get lost in this documentary about legendary but troubled singer Amy Winehouse and the life behind hit songs “Rehab” and “Back to Black.” The story follows Winehouse from her childhood, to success in the 2000s, to her tragic end due to alcoholism and drug use. 

6. Atlantics (2019)  

If you’re looking for a foreign film or just a love story with more diversity, try this film from Mati Diop, the first black woman director to compete at the Cannes Film Festival. Her debut film is set in Senegal, Africa, and it tells the story of Souleiman, an underpaid construction worker, and Ada, who is set to marry another man. After Souleiman leaves on a boat for better life, Ada’s marriage is thwarted by a fire on her wedding day, with some people accusing the recently departed Souleiman. A beautifully captured love story with a supernatural element, you won’t regret watching this masterpiece.  

7. Back to the Future (1985) 

If you haven’t seen this strikingly 80s yet timeless movie, now is the time. Marty McFly must go back in time to fix his parents’ first meeting after accidentally interrupting it, with the help of kooky inventor Doc Brown. Netflix just added the “Back to the Future” trilogy to its catalog, so take this opportunity to go back to the past (just forget all the technicalities involved in time travel). 

8. Bad Boys (1995) 

It’s the 90s and Will Smith, what more do you need? Also starring Martin Lawrence, two Miami detectives have five days to track down $100 million worth of stolen heroin they recently confiscatedPart action, part comedy, the added element of one detective acting as another to gain the trust of a much-needed witness makes for an entertaining watch. 

9. Blackfish (2013) 

There are many interesting documentaries on Netflix, but “Blackfish” is at the top of the list and most popular. This film documents the life of killer-whale Tilikum in captivity at SeaWorld. Having killed multiple trainers, the film examines the conditions of killer whales in captivity, the nature of orcas and humans’ relationship with animals in general. It’s an emotional watch, but beneficial and educational nonetheless. 

10. Bleed for This (2016) 

Newly added to the queueMiles Teller (“Whiplash,” “Divergent”) plays Vinny Pazienza, the World Champion Boxer whose career almost ended after a brutal car crash. Not knowing if he’d ever fully recover, this movie is the inspiring story of his comeback and return to the world of boxing with the help of his trainerIf you like things based on true stories, or just like Miles Teller, this is for you. 

11. Blue Valentine (2010) 

Yes, you can watch Ryan Gosling (“La La Land”) and Michelle Williams (“Manchester by the Sea”) fall in love and eventually out of it, and yes you will want to cry about it. The stars play Dean and Cindy, suburban and tame married couple with issues and differences they’re just not ready to confront yet. However, their flaws, his complacency and her selfishness, will test their marriage and its ability to withstand each other’s differences.  

12. Burning (2018) 

Another incredible foreign film from South Korea, “Burning” begins with two friends, Jongsu (Yoo Ah-in) and Hae-mi (Jun Jong-seocatching up after Hae-mi left the neighborhood the two shared as kids. She asks if he will watch her cat while away on a trip to Africa, and on her return, Hae-mi introduces Jongsu to her new friend Ben (Steven Yeun, “The Walking Dead”), who has an interesting hobby. This film is edgy and suspenseful, so don’t miss it. 

13. Cadillac Records (2008) 

After you’re done watching Beyonce’s “Homecoming, watch the queen as Etta James along with other musical legends in 1950s Chicago. The film starts with Polish bar owner Leonard (Adrien Brody, “The Grand Budapest Hotel,” “The Pianist”) as he hires a blues band with guitarist Muddy Waters, played by Jeffrey Wright (“The Hunger Games: Catching Fire”) and harmonica player Little Walter, played by Columbus Short (“War of the Worlds”). That successful hire launches Leonard into music management and into the turbulent world of sex, drugs, and rockandroll. 

14. Click (2006)  

Everyone remembers this movie as a goofy family movie, but it’s the perfect movie for providing familiar and comforting entertainment amidst the chaos. Not to mention, it’s one of Adam Sandler’s best movies. Sandler plays workaholic Michael Newman that stumbles upon a remote that controls time but eventually starts controlling him. It’s a nice throwback to simpler times. 

15. Crip Cramp: A Disability Revolution (2020) 

This is a new documentary about Camp Jened, a camp for disabled teens in 1970s New York, right down the road from Woodstock. The film follows the free spirted teens as they become activists for disability rights and incite a movement for accessibility legislation. The film won the Audience Award at Sundance Film Festival, but its release was canceled due to COVID-19. Give it a watch, you won’t regret it. 

16. Dallas Buyer’s Club (2013) 

As part of Mathew McConaughey’s move away from romantic comedies in the early 2010s, “Dallas Buyer’s Club” shows the actor in one of his most challenging roles for which he won his first Oscar. Based loosely on the life of Ron Woodroof, McConaughey plays a homophobic, womanizing, druggie that learns he has HIV/AIDS and only 30 days to live. Determined to go down fighting, Ron teams up with another patient in distributing drugs to other victims that need relief they can’t get anywhere else. 

17. Dear John (2010) 

This one’s for all the hopeless romantics, but it is a good movie for everyone. One of the better Nicholas Sparks adaptations, Sergeant John Tyree (Channing Tatum) falls in love with the volunteer worker and college student Savannah (Amanda Seyfried, “Mamma Mia”) while on leave from the Army. Spanning seven years, they rarely see each other, communicating only in letters, which leads to consequences neither of them saw coming.  

18. Despicable Me (2010) 

As annoying as the minions might have become, this film will take you back to when they were still cute and unique. It’s a heartwarming story of wannabe supervillain Gru (Steve Carell) and his minion henchmen helping him steal the moon. But his plans come to halt after adopting three orphan girls, who change Gru for the better. 

19. Django Unchained (2012) 

If you need more Quentin Tarantino or Leonardo DiCaprio after seeing “Once Upon a Time in Hollywood,” Netflix recently added this film to their catalogue. Django, played by Jamie Foxx (“Baby Driver”), accompanies a German bounty hunter (Christopher Waltz, “Spectre”) on a hunt for the South’s most-wanted criminals two years before the Civil War. After successful missions and gaining his freedom, Django makes it to an infamous plantation where his wife (Kerry Washington, “Little Fires Everywhere”) is still a slave. You know what you’re getting into with a Tarantino movie, but it is an entertaining tale of adventure and fairy tale history. 

20. Dolemite Is My Name (2019) 

Did you miss Eddie Murphy? The iconic comedian, whose last acting role was in 2016’s “Mr. Church, Murphy plays real-life comedian Rudy Ray Moore, for which Murphy received a Golden Globe nomination. Murphy blends his legendary humor with the hilarious alter-ego of MooreDolemite. Set in the 1970s, the movie follows Moore’s creation of Dolemite to how that character went down in film history as an anti-establishment sensation.  

21. Drive (2011) 

Another Ryan Gosling favorite, this one where Gosling plays a Hollywood stuntmathat operates as the getaway driver for criminals as a side-hustle. Unnamed and unfeeling, the driver lives a life of calculated moves and detached emotions until he gets involved with his neighbor Irene, played by Carey Mulligan (“The Great Gatsby,” “Mudbound”) and her son. Things get even more complicated when Irene’s husband gets out of jail and involves his wife’s love interest in a million-dollar heist. Also starring Bryan Cranston (“Breaking Bad”), Oscar Isaac (“Star Wars: The Force Awakens) and Christina Hendricks (“Mad Men”), this movie is a much-watch. 

22. Ex Machina (2014) 

One of the emerging movies that examine modern artificial intelligence, “Ex Machina” brings to life everyone’s worry about technology merging with, or overtaking, the capabilities of humans. A couple of “Star Wars” alums work together on this story of a programmer (Domhnall Gleesongetting to spend a weekend working on a project with his company’s infamous CEO (Oscar Isaac). The project is Ava (Alicia Vikander“Tomb Raider”), an artificial intelligence but beautiful robot, who the men underestimate in the ability to think for herself. 

23. Ferris Bueller’s Day Off (1986) 

It’s the epitome of high school existence, a classic that remains of favorite of many. A high school slacker fakes sick to skip school and hang out with friends instead. Sound familiar? Join Ferris (Matthew Broderick) as he goes on a last adventure before graduation. It’s the perfect 80s throwback when you need to be reminded what it’s like to have freedom and plenty of places to go. 

24. The Florida Project (2017) 

Another color-soaked and youth-obsessed movie from the A24 production company, “The Florida Project” is the story of a young girl, her friends and the naivety of childhood summers on the outskirts of Walt Disney World. Moonee and her friends experience the wonder of endless summer, oblivious to the real-world problems the adults experience around her. Not only is it a visual stunner, but the movie examines innocence and the lack of it in a raw, but never demeaning, perspective. 

25. Frances Ha (2012)  

If you liked Oscar nominee “Marriage Story” from director Noah Baumbach, check out his earlier work starring his fellow director and wife, Greta Gerwig. Gerwig plays the title character, an aspiring dancer that moves to New York City, as she apartment hops from friend to friend, chasing her dreams in the face of rejection. “Frances Ha” is an intimate and relatable film, especially for college students finding their way into the real world. 

26. Gerald’s Game (2017) 

There’s nothing better than a Stephen King adaptation if you’re looking for something in the horror genre to take your mind off the new normal. “Gerald’s Game” is a Netflix original and documents the fear and survival of a woman left handcuffed to a bed after a sexual game ends in her husband’s fatal heart attack. Jessie, played by Carla Gugino (“The Haunting of Hill House”), begins hearing voices and seeing figures, making her wonder if she should fear her imagination or the real things come to haunt her in the night. It’s a movie that will sit with you for a while, the performances making it equally hard to forget. 

27. Good Time (2017) 

If you like Robert Pattinson post– “Twilight,” you should check out this movie where he plays a devoted older brother that will do anything to get his brother out of prison after a bank robbery gone wrong. His search for a solution leads him through the depths of New York’s criminal underground in this underrated thriller. 

28. Groundhog Day (1993) 

Everyone knows the classic story of “Groundhog Day”: Phil, a narcissistic weatherman (Bill Murray) along with his producer (Andie MacDowell, “Ready or Not”) and cameraman (Chris Elliott, “Schitt’s Creek”) are sent to report on Groundhog Day in the small town of Punxsutawney. Phil finds himself stuck in a time loop determined to teach him a lesson. This film is often named one of the best comedies of all time, so whether it’s your first or 100th time watching this film, it’s sure to provide some laughs. 

29. Hail, Caesar! (2016) 

When a Hollywood star (George Clooney) disappears in the middle of filming, the production studio sends their fixer, a person to clean up the messes celebrities make before the press gets to them, to get the star back. This film is inspired by the 1950s career of Eddie Mannix who was considered the best fixer of the classic film era, with Josh Brolin (“Avengers: Endgame”) playing Mannix. This is such a good comedy and with an all star cast, so don’t pass it over. 

30. Her (2013) 

The talented “Joker” actor Joaquin Phoenix is no stranger to playing lonely, peculiar men. Seven years ago, Phoenix proved his talent and commitment to a role in the unconventional love story, “Her,” in which he plays a lonely writer that develops a romance with a newly developed operating system, which he names Samantha. It is an interesting story that looks at what qualifies as love while also examining our close relationship, and even dependency, on technology. 

31. Hitch (2005) 

More Will Smith! Pop culture’s wholesome dad plays Alex “Hitch” Hitchens is smooth-talking dating coach, hired by the clueless Albert (Kevin James, “Zookeeper”) to win the love of actress Allegra Cole. Not only does Hitch have to worry about Albert’s relationship, he also has to navigate his new relationship with reporter Sara (Eva Mendes, “Fast Five”) where Hitch is challenged like never before. love story you can root for and iconic funny moments, this movie outlasts its 15-year age. 

32. Horse Girl (2020) 

Another Netflix original from this year, “Horse Girl” stars the very talented Alison Brie (“GLOW,” “Mad Men”) a traumatized woman with an affinity for horses, crafts, and supernatural crime shows. The story follows this woman as she suffers lucid dreams, finding it harder to distinguish dream from reality. The film spurns from the growing conversation around mental health and demonstrates the need for qualified support. 

33. Inception (2010) 

If you haven’t seen this mind-bending Christopher Nolan film yet, take this opportunity to do so, but be prepared to pay close attention from the start. Here we go: The great Leonardo DiCaprio plays Cobb, a conman whose specialty is stealing corporate secrets by infiltrating the minds of his targets. When given the chance to regain his old life with his family, he accepts the seemingly impossible mission of inception, for which he needs a talented crew played Joseph Gordon-Levitt (“500 Days of Summer”), Ellen Page (“Juno”)Tom Hardy (“Mad Max: Fury Road”) and Dileep Rao (“Avatar”).   

34. Inglorious Basterds (2009) 

Definitely not for the faint of heart, “Inglourious Basterds” is considered one of Quentin Tarantino’s best films. Brad Pitt stars as one of “The Basterds,” a group of Jewish-American soldiers specifically tasked to kill Nazis in occupied France during World War II. Then they meet a young Jewish girl running a movie theater with her own plans for vengeance, something the Nazis planning a movie premiere there don’t yet know.  

35. Jarhead (2005) 

Before Sam Mendes directed the stunning Oscar winner “1917,” he directed another military film during the Gulf War. Starring Jake Gyllenhaal (“Spiderman: Far From Home”), as a marine enduring the war in the Persian Gulf, yet being kept from most of the action. Dealing with increased paranoia about girlfriend cheating on him and the increased urge to kill, this violent and dark film is anchored by Gyllenhaal’s psychological struggle. 

36. Jerry Maguire (1996) 

Before Tom Cruise’s constant reappearance in the “Mission Impossible” movies, he started in this romantic comedy that has produced so many quotable lines. Cruise plays the title character, a sports agent that realizes the inhumanity in his profession. After writing an expose on the ethics of the major company, he is fired, but he decides to start his own company. He manages to salvage one client, played by Cuba Gooding Jr. (“The People v. O. J. Simpson”), and one former employee (Renée Zellweger, “Judy”) that becomes more than a devoted worker. 

37. Life As We Know It (2010) 

One of the more well-made romantic comedies to come out of the 2000s, “Life As We Know It” is the story of two friends of friends, Holly (Katherine Heigl, “Grey’s Anatomy”) and Messer (Josh Duhamel, “Love Simon”) are forced together when their friends die, leaving them as the godparents of their infant son. It’s a sweet and funny story of unconventional parenthooand how love comes when you least expect it.  

38. Like Father (2018) 

Starring two of Hollywood’s most beloved actors, Kristen Bell (“Frozen,” “The Good Place”) and Kelsey Grammer (“Frazier”) play a father-daughter duo with issues. After being left at the altar, workaholic Rachel carries her father with her on her Caribbean honeymoon to build a relationship they never had. It sounds like a Hallmark movie but better quality, and something to make you feel good about all the time you’re spending with your family during quarantine. 

39. Love, Rosie (2014) 

This movie gives new meaning to terrible timing. Rosie, played by Lily Collins (“Extremely Wicked, Shockingly Evil and Vile”), and Alex, played by Sam Claflin (“Me Before You”), have been best friends since childhood. After a missed opportunity of seeing if they could be more, they spend a lifetime leading different lives, writing to each other, and occasionally crossing paths. But like any romantic movie, they always find their way back to each other. 

40. My Week with Marilyn (2011) 

Yes, that Marilyn. If you’ve ever wondered about the tragic old Hollywood starlet, this is the movie for you. Michelle Williams (“The Greatest Showman,” “Manchester by the Sea”) plays the title character and does remarkable justice to the legend of the great blonde bombshell. In one of his earlier movies, Eddie Redmayne (“The Theory of Everything” “Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them”) plays, Colin, an assistant film director to Laurence Olivier who had a brief fling with Marilyn. Based on his memoirs, the film takes an in-depth look into the life of Hollywood’s most memorable woman and how that image led to her downfall. 

41. Marriage Story (2019) 

We all know “Marriage Story” from that meme of Scarlett Johansson (“Avengers: Endgame”) and Adam Driver (Star Wars: The Force Awakens”) yelling at each other, and while they were sort of picked on for their dramatics, this movie offers beautiful performances from both. It is a simplistic story, but personal and interesting in the way that every couple’s relationship is unique. This movie examines the reality of divorce and the beauty of a relationship in all its stages.  

42. Molly’s Game (2017) 

Jessica Chastain (“IT: Chapter Two”) plays Molly, a real-life Olympic skier hopeful turned entrepreneur that starts a high-stakes poker game involving sports and movie stars, business moguls, and even the Russian mob. She is eventually arrested by the FBI, leaving her in the hands of lawyer Charles Jaffey (Idris Elba). This is perfect for you if you like female-driven dramas or true crime. 

43. Moonlight (2016)  

You probably remember “Moonlight” losing best picture to “La La Land” at the 2017 Oscars—and then realizing that was all a big mistake and “Moonlight” won. It came as a surprise to everyone, of course, due to the mix-up, but also because “La La Land” seemed like an obvious choice for best picture. However, “Moonlight” is fully deserving of the award and the praise it’s received for the story of a young black man’s struggle with finding himself over three generations in Miami. It is a heartbreaking and beautifully shot film starring Mahershala Ali (“Green Book”), Trevante Rhodes (“Birdbox”) and Janelle Monáe (“Harriet”).  

44. Monty Python and The Holy Grail (1975) 

The Monty Python comedy group is responsible for movie spoofs on stories ranging from the meaning of life and Jesus. With one of their best movies, the comedy group parodies the legend of Arthur and his quest for the Holy Grail. This a movie for someone who wants something different than the usual comedies on Netflix (or has watched them all). 

45. Mudbound (2017) 

If you like period dramas, or even if you don’t, this movie is for you. Nominated for four Oscars, “Mudbound” is the story of two families, one black and one white, that are sharecroppers on the same land in post-World War II Mississippi. It is a story with the main theme of racism, but also trauma and injustice caused by unmoving social hierarchies and generations of prejudice. This is all told by a remarkable cast including “The Great Gatsby” alums Carey Mulligan and Jason Clarke, along with Jason Mitchell (“Straight Outta Compton”) and Grammy-winning artist Mary J. Blige.  

46. No Direction Home: Bob Dylan (2005) 

Martin Scorsese is known for his mafia dramas, but he also directed one of the greatest documentaries of all time with this chronicle of the iconic musician Bob Dylan. This film isn’t just for fans of Dylan or music lovers; it’s for everyone. Scorsese captures Dylan’s life in concert footage, interviews, and conversations with Dylan’s closest confidants. 

47. Okja (2017) 

Recent Oscar-winning director Bong Joon-ho‘s 2017 film Okja is the story of South Korean girl Mija and her best friend, a genetically modified super-pig. When the animal is kidnapped by a multinational corporation from New York intent on breeding the animal to make more super-pigs. Like all Joon-ho’s films, “Okja” offers social commentary through satirical tales and blended-genres, making this one brutal yet incredibly sentimental to watch.  

48. One Day (2011) 

This one goes out to all the romantics that can’t help but gravitate toward sappy romance movies that inevitably will make them cry. And this one will make you cry. “One Day” is the story of Dexter (Jim Sturgess, “Across the Universe”) and Emma (Anne Hathaway, “Ocean’s 8”) as they meet one night and fumble an attempt at romance, leading them to make different lives without each other. The film catches up with them every year on July 15, a day they decide to reconnect every year. Grab your tissues for this guilty pleasure. 

49. The Perks of Being a Wallflower (2012) 

If you weren’t part of the generation of awkward teens that felt seen by this movie in 2012, then maybe you witnessed the jokes made in its jest a few years later. Whatever your opinion, this movie is one of the movies that solidified the teen angst dramas that conquered the early 2010s. High school freshman Charlie, played by newly reemerged Logan Lerman (“Hunters”) is adopted by quirky but charismatic seniors Sam (Emma Watson, “Little Women”) and Patrick (Ezra Miller, “Suicide Squad”). With their help, Sam finds the joys in high school and his teenage years. 

50. Roma (2018) 

Winning best foreign film, cinematography and director at the 2019 Oscars, Alfonso Cuarón’s Roma is a black and white look into Cleo, a domestic worker for a four-kid family in 1970s Mexico City. After her employer’s husband runs away with his mistress and Cleo finds out she’s pregnant, the two women take the children on a much-needed vacation. The film is intimate, meditative and beautifully shot. 

51. Silver Linings Playbook (2012) 

In arguably the best Jennifer Lawrence and Bradley Cooper movie pairings, “A Star is Born” alum plays Pat, a former teacher moving back in with his parents after a stint in a mental institution and losing his wife. While trying to get his life back together, he meets a complicated woman Tiffany, played by “The Hunger Games” Lawrence, who agrees to help him get his wife back if he becomes her partner in a dance competition. The acting is compelling and excellent, winning Lawrence her first Oscar. 

52. Snowpiercer (2013) 

After Bong Joon-ho won best picture for “Parasite,” Netflix added many of his former films to its collection, including dystopian sci-fi film “Snowpiercer.” Set in 2031, the only living humans after a failed attempt to save humanity from a second Ice Age live in a class-divided train. The lowest class, residing in the caboose, plan to overthrow the class system by taking over the engine room. It’s a wild ride, but like Joon-ho’s other films, it is grounded in its empathy and message. 

53. Song of the Sea (2014) 

There aren’t a lot of animated movies beyond Disney or Pixar in Netflix’s catalog, but “Song of the Sea” would make the top of the list either way. The Irish film was nominated best animated film at the 2015 Oscars for its incredible and unique animation. It’s the perfect film to put on for the whole family.  

54. Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse (2018) 

There are so many movies about Spider-man and so many opinions about those movies, but almost everyone agrees that this animated version is a stand-out. Starting with Brooklyn teen turned superhero, Miles Morales, the film explores the different versions of Spider-Man that exist throughout different dimensions, all in danger due to the villain Kingpin. This is such a fun and adventurous take on a beloved character, and its appealing to people of all ages. 

55. The Bling Ring (2013) 

Based on a true story, a group of teenagers use the internet to stalk celebrities in order to rob their homes. Of course, there are consequences, but this underrated film is a look into fame, celebrity culture and privilege all told by a talented cast, including Emma Watson (“Little Women”), Taissa Farmiga (“The Nun”) and Israel Broussard (“To All the Boys I’ve Loved Before”). 

56. The Boy in the Striped Pajamas (2008) 

This is a brutal film to watch, but it does a good job of showing the horror of the Holocaust through children’s eyes. After his family moves from Berlin to Poland, young Bruno makes friends with Shmuel, a boy he can only talk to through a fence and always wears striped pajamas. Bruno is unaware of Bruno’s fate or his father’s role in it, which leads him to make dangerous moves to be with his friend.  

57. The Curious Case of Benjamin Button (2008) 

The curious case of Benjamin Button, played by recent Oscar-winner Brad Pitt, is that he ages in reverse, starting his life as an old man and gradually getting younger. After his birth, he meets Daisy (Cate Blanchett, “Where’d You Go, Bernadette”), a child with dreams of becoming a dancer, while Benjamin dreams of meeting up with her at the right time to explore their relationship further. It is an interesting plot with subtle yet intriguing performances from the leads but is often overlooked as a film. 

58. The Duchess (2008) 

Can anyone turn down Keira Knightly (“Pirates of the Caribbean”) in a period drama? She can’t, and that leaves us with this film based on the life of the reviled aristocrat Georgiana Cavendish, Duchess of Devonshire in the 18th century. Trapped in a merciless marriage and forced to witness her husband’s affair, Georgiana finds comfort in a young politician to the hate and ridicule of her people. Knightly plays this part expertly, making this a perfect watch for anyone wanting to escape from today’s events. 

59. The Edge of Seventeen (2016) 

“The Edge of Seventeen” put all previous teen angst movies of the 2010s to shame with teen angst expert and “Dickinson” actress Hailee Steinfeld as the outshined younger sister, Nadine. Her life is awkward, her confidant is her teacher (Woody Harrelson, “The Hunger Games”), and her best friend (Haley Lu Richardson, “The Politician”) starts dating her all star brother (Blake Jenner, “Glee”). Watch this if you want a teen comedy that isn’t outdated or unbearably stereotypical. 

60. The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Society (2018) 

The title itself is intriguing enough. In the aftermath of World War II, London writer Juliet (Lily James, “Mamma Mia: Here We Go Again”) exchanges letters with a unique book club, named above, and eventually decides to take a break from her successful but incomplete life with new fiancé Mark (Glen Powell, “Hidden Figures”) to travel to the small island where the book club takes place. After finding inspiration and possibly true love on the island, Juliet must pick between two stories for herself. This movie sounds predictable, and in some ways is, but it’s a good enough film with great performances (including some “Downton Abbey” alums) that make it a solid movie night choice. 

61. The Half of It (2020) 

One of the most recent additions to Netflix’s original movies is this heartwarming and diverse tale of unrequited love. A shy but intelligent student named Ellie (Leah Lewis) teams up with love-struck but dopey jock Paul (Daniel Diemer) to woo Paul’s crush, the deep and attractive Aster (Alexxis Lemire). It doesn’t help when Ellie is also into Aster, and she writes to Aster as herself instead of Paul. While not exactly a groundbreaking plot, it is a cute watch with a bunch of fresh faces that offers a love story with diverse leads. 

62. The Irishman (2019) 

If you have not seen this film by now, you’re probably not a huge fan of Martin Scorsese or you have been avoiding this film’s almost 4-hour runtime. If you’re in the latter category, let me assure you that runtime is well earned and worth it. Starring Scorsese favoritesRobert De Niro plays Frank Sheeran who becomes a part of the Bufalino crime family led by Bill Bufalino, played by Joe Pesci in 1950s Pennsylvania. Frank also becomes the right-hand man to Jimmy Hoffa, the notorious union leader with ties to the family. Scorsese tells this story with more patience and attention to character than some of his earlier films, but it nonetheless delivers his brand of crime drama. 

63. The King’s Speech (2010) 

So while you’re waiting for the next season of “The Crown,” watch this film about Queen Elizabeth II’s father, King George VI ascension to the throne after his brother’s abdication. Considered unfit to be king and suffering from a speech stutter, George takes on a speech therapist that will train him to lead a nation into the inevitable World War II. The film won four Oscars at the 2011 Oscars, including best picture. 

64. The Matrix (1999) 

It’s easy to overlook this movie that has become so entrenched in our culture and lingo, including memes, but there was a time when this movie was groundbreaking for the sci-fi genre. The story follows a computer hacker that joins an army of rebels intent on stopping the world rule of computers, and it is still as good today as it was in 1999. 

65. The Meyerowitz Stories (New and Selected) (2017) 

Combine two stars of 2019 releases, Uncut Gems” leading man Adam Sandler and “Marriage Story” director Noah Baumbach, and you get this film from two years prior. Ever the devotee of family conflict, Baumbach directs a story of a Meyerowitz family gathering to celebrate their father’s lifetime achievements as an art professor and sculptor. Along with Sandler, this film has a lot of talent including Dustin Hoffman (“Spielberg”), Ben Stiller (“Zoolander”), Emma Thompson (“Last Christmas”) and Adam Driver (“Marriage Story”).  

66. The Pursuit of Happyness (2006) 

Will Smith, everyone’s favorite celebrity dad, plays the father to his real-life son, Jaden Smith, in this heartwarming film about the struggles and triumphs of parenthood. Evicted from their apartment and forced to live in shelters, this is the true story of a dad with dreams of making his life better, not only for him but for his son.  

67. The Social Network (2010) 

Almost a decade before Facebook was dealing with fake news and hearings for sharing users’ data, Mark Zuckerberg was in hot water for allegedly stealing the idea for the new social media website from fellow Harvard students. This film flies through the early days of “The Facebook” by Zuckerberg (played by Jesse Eisenberg, “Justice League”) and the rise of the company, costing him friends and money along the way. One of those friends is co-founder of Facebook Eduardo Saverin played by Andrew Garfield (“The Amazing Spider-Man”) and frenemy Sean Parker played by Justin Timberlake. Ask anyone, they will tell you the movie is worth the watch. 

68. The Squid and the Whale (2005) 

Netflix is loving Noah Baumbach right now, and honestly, you should too. Produced by Wes Anderson, Baumbacdirects another family conflict, this time the split between a married couple, unintentionally causing their kids to pick sides. Starring Ozark’s” Laura Linney, “The Martian’s” Jeff Daniels and “Justice League’s” Jesse Eisenberg, this film is intimately touching due to the writing, directing, and acting. 

69. The Spectacular Now (2013) 

Following up goofy performances in “Footloose” and “Project X,” Miles Teller plays a charismatic, small-town party animal named Sutter that sparks an interest in a shy, inexperienced fellow student, Aimee, played by Shailene Woodley before her blockbuster hits “Divergent” and “The Fault in Our Stars.” These two make the perfect pairing for this unexpected pairing of characters, who are unsure if their complicated feelings for each other can withstand the move beyond high school. This is a teen drama that goes beyond the surface and the perfect chance to see budding actors before their future successful hits. 

70. The Stanford Prison Experiment (2015) 

You’ve most likely learned about this psychology experiment gone wrong in class, but you can also see it dramatized in this film. Conducted by a Stanford professor in 1971, college students were divided into prisoners and guards and kept in prison-like conditions until the experiment got out of hand. The experiment attempted to understand the effects of perceived power, yet the abandoned experiment ended up causing controversy around ethical experimentation. The film sticks closely to the recovered footage to the effect of a fascinating, disturbing, yet informational watch. 

71. The Theory of Everything (2014) 

This movie, with wonderful performances from both “Fantastic Beasts” actor Eddie Redmayne and “Rogue One: A Star Wars Story” actress Felicity Jones, is a look into the love story that shaped the physicist Stephen Hawking. Falling in love at Cambridge and building a life together despite Hawking’s ALS diagnosis. Running out of time, Hawking changes the field of science as his world changes around him. 

72. Taxi Driver (1976) 

Another Martin Scorsese masterpiece, and many people’s favorite, “Taxi Driver” is the story of a Vietnam veteran barely grasping onto his sanity that takes a job as a cab driver. Played by a young Robert De Niro, Travis is obsessed with ridding New York City of filth but then moves on to delusions of saving the world, spurred by his meeting with a pretty campaign worker and a young prostitute. This film remains timeless no matter its age. 

73. Tigertail (2020) 

After emigrating from Taiwan to the United States, factory worker Grover reflects on his life in Taiwan involving young love and the generations of the family he has produced in America. Looking back on his life, he focuses on regrets and the disconnection he feels with his current circumstances. This film is emotional and pensive, a character examination more than movie hinging on the plot.  

74. Train to Busan (2016) 

If you are looking for a horror film, check out this exemplary film to become Korea’s first zombie box office hit. After a mysterious outbreak starts its spread in Korea, passengers on a train to Busan, a city currently untouched by the new virus, must fight for their survival when their escape is thwarted by one infected woman.

*75. What’s Eating Gilbert Grape (1993)

This is one of Johnny Depp and Leonardo DiCaprio’s first movies, and it proved their acting talent immediately. Depp plays the title character, a small-town young man caring for his obese mother and mentally disabled younger brother, played by DiCaprio. Along with those responsibilities and an affair with a local woman, Gilbert is trying to navigate a life he can call his own without abandoning his family.