The best 75 movies to watch on Netflix

Adam Sandler stars in "Uncut Gems. [A24]

Brenna Flanagan, Editor-in-Chief

There are a lot of movies on Netflix for your viewing, but to avoid endless searching through categories that just push the same titles over again, we’ve created a list of the best movies, 75 to be exact, to watch on the streaming platform. This list is regularly updated as Netflix adds and removes titles, with new additions to this list indicated in bold. Originally published on May 12, 2020.

1. 13th (2016) 

After directing “Selma” Ava DuVernay directed this documentary about the systemic racism rooted in America’s prison system. It’s resurfaced recently due to the protests for Black Lives Matter, but its message has been relevant for decades. This film is essential for understanding racism in America, and a solid documentary from a successful black woman director. 

2. About Time (2013) 

In a way it’s about time travel, but with more emotional moments than science fiction. As a young adult, Tim (Domhnall Gleeson, “Star Wars: The Force Awakens”) finds out from his father that all the men in the family can relive and redo any moment in their lives. Tim uses that power to get things perfect with his dream girl, Mary, played by Rachel McAdams (“Doctor Strange,” “The Notebook”). The film follows how Tim learns from his ability throughout his life, so get your tissues ready. 

3. American Factory (2019) 

Winner of best documentary feature at this year’s Oscars, “American Factory” is the story of factory workers in Ohio after the Chinese company Fuyao opens a new factory in an abandoned General Motors plant. Initial feelings of hope and optimism give way to cultural conflict. The documentary is a close look into the lives of working-class Americans and human interaction.  

4. American Honey (2016) 

In need of an escape, teen girl Star, played by Sasha Lane (“The Miseducation of Cameron Post”) takes off with a traveling sales crew of kindred spirits looking for a good time. Traveling across the Midwest selling subscriptions by day and partying hard by night, Star thinks she finds her place in the chaotic gang of teenagers, as well as in the arms of fellow teen Jake, played by Shia LeBeouf (“Honey Boy”). This is another film from the A24 production company, so be prepared for a gritty look into the lives of teenagers on the loose. 

5. As Good as it Gets (1997) 

It’s hard to imagine Jack Nicholson in any film other than “The Shining,” but he proves he can in fact act within any genre with this comedy. He plays a cranky narcissistic writer that is minorly inconvenienced when he is entrusted with his neighbor’s dog after his gay neighbor’assault and hospitalization. Bonding with the pooch softens his heart and helps him build a relationship with the only waitress (Helen Hunt, “Cast Away”) that will serve him at his local diner. 

6. Atlantics (2019)  

If you’re looking for a foreign film or just a love story with more diversity, try this film from Mati Diop, the first black woman director to compete at the Cannes Film Festival. Her debut film is set in Senegal, Africa, and it tells the story of Souleiman, an underpaid construction worker, and Ada, who is set to marry another man. After Souleiman leaves on a boat for better life, Ada’s marriage is thwarted by a fire on her wedding day, with some people accusing the recently departed Souleiman. A beautifully captured love story with a supernatural element, you won’t regret watching this masterpiece.  

7. Back to the Future (1985) 

If you haven’t seen this strikingly 80s yet timeless movie, now is the time. Marty McFly must go back in time to fix his parents’ first meeting after accidentally interrupting it, with the help of kooky inventor Doc Brown. Netflix just added the “Back to the Future” trilogy to its catalog, so take this opportunity to go back to the past (just forget all the technicalities involved in time travel). 

8. Bad Boys (1995) 

It’s the 90s and Will Smith, what more do you need? Also starring Martin Lawrence, two Miami detectives have five days to track down $100 million worth of stolen heroin they recently confiscatedPart action, part comedy, the added element of one detective acting as another to gain the trust of a much-needed witness makes for an entertaining watch. 

9. Blackfish (2013) 

There are many interesting documentaries on Netflix, but “Blackfish” is at the top of the list and most popular. This film documents the life of killer-whale Tilikum in captivity at SeaWorld. Having killed multiple trainers, the film examines the conditions of killer whales in captivity, the nature of orcas, and humans’ relationship with animals in general. It’s an emotional watch, but beneficial and educational nonetheless. 

10. Bleed for This (2016) 

Newly added to the queueMiles Teller (“Whiplash,” “Divergent”) plays Vinny Pazienza, the World Champion Boxer whose career almost ended after a brutal car crash. Not knowing if he’d ever fully recover, this movie is the inspiring story of his comeback and return to the world of boxing with the help of his trainerIf you like things based on true stories, or just like Miles Teller, this is for you. 

11. Burning (2018) 

Another incredible foreign film from South Korea, “Burning” begins with two friends, Jongsu (Yoo Ah-in) and Hae-mi (Jun Jong-seocatching up after Hae-mi left the neighborhood the two shared as kids. She asks if he will watch her cat while away on a trip to Africa, and on her return, Hae-mi introduces Jongsu to her new friend Ben (Steven Yeun, “The Walking Dead”), who has an interesting hobby. This film is edgy and suspenseful, so don’t miss it. 

12. Clueless (1995) 

This comedy is a 90s staple and has some of the most iconic one-liners and outfits. If you have seen “Legally Blonde” but not this movie about the even more shallow queen B Cher, there is a problem here. Just watch it, okay? 

13. Crip Cramp: A Disability Revolution (2020) 

This is a new documentary about Camp Jened, a camp for disabled teens in 1970s New York, right down the road from Woodstock. The film follows the free spirted teens as they become activists for disability rights and incite a movement for accessibility legislation. The film won the Audience Award at Sundance Film Festival, but its release was canceled due to COVID-19. Give it a watch, you won’t regret it. 

14. Da 5 Bloods (2020) 

Spike Lee’s new film probably could not have come at a better time. “Da 5 Bloods” offers a captivating story of black history, and subsequently a different view of the Vietnam War. The cast, including the Delroy Lindo (“Malcolm X”), Norm Lewis (“Just Mercy”), and Clarke Peters (“The Wire”), play veterans in their return to Vietnam in search of their fallen squad leader and buried treasure. It’s equal parts touching and brutally graphic, but completely on-brand for Lee. 

15. Dallas Buyer’s Club (2013)  

As part of Mathew McConaughey’s move away from romantic comedies in the early 2010s, “Dallas Buyer’s Club” shows the actor in one of his most challenging roles for which he won his first Oscar. Based loosely on the life of Ron Woodroof, McConaughey plays a homophobic, womanizing, druggie that learns he has HIV/AIDS and only 30 days to live. Determined to go down fighting, Ron teams up with another patient in distributing drugs to other victims that need relief they can’t get anywhere else. 

16. Dear John (2010) 

This one’s for all the hopeless romantics, but it is a good movie for everyone. One of the better Nicholas Sparks adaptations, Sergeant John Tyree (Channing Tatum) falls in love with the volunteer worker and college student Savannah (Amanda Seyfried, “Mamma Mia”) while on leave from the Army. Spanning seven years, they rarely see each other, communicating only in letters, which leads to consequences neither of them saw coming.  

17. Django Unchained (2012) 

If you need more Quentin Tarantino or Leonardo DiCaprio after seeing “Once Upon a Time in Hollywood,” Netflix recently added this film to their catalog. Django, played by Jamie Foxx (“Baby Driver”) accompanies a German bounty hunter (Christopher Waltz, “Spectre”) on a hunt for the South’s most-wanted criminals two years before the Civil War. After successful missions and gaining his freedom, Django makes it to an infamous plantation where his wife (Kerry Washington, “Little Fires Everywhere”) is still a slave. You know what you’re getting into with a Tarantino movie, but it is an entertaining tale of adventure and fairytale history. 

18. Dolemite IMy Name (2019) 

Did you miss Eddie Murphy? The iconic comedian, whose last acting role was in 2016’s “Mr. Church, Murphy plays real-life comedian Rudy Ray Moore, for which Murphy received a Golden Globe nomination. Murphy blends his legendary humor with the hilarious alter-ego of MooreDolemite. Set in the 1970s, the movie follows Moore’s creation of Dolemite to how that character went down in film history as an anti-establishment sensation.  

19. Drive (2011) 

Another Ryan Gosling favorite, this one where Gosling plays a Hollywood stuntmathat operates as the getaway driver for criminals as a side-hustle. Unnamed and unfeeling, the driver lives a life of calculated moves and detached emotions until he gets involved with his neighbor Irene, played by Carey Mulligan (“The Great Gatsby,” “Mudbound”) and her son. Things get even more complicated when Irene’s husband gets out of jail and involves his wife’s love interest in a million-dollar heist. Also starring Bryan Cranston (“Breaking Bad”), Oscar Isaac (“Star Wars: The Force Awakens), and Christina Hendricks (“Mad Men”), this movie is a much-watch. 

20. E.T. the Extra-Terrestrial (1982) 

“E.T. Phone home.” It’s the iconic phrase from an 80’s classic about a boy’s friendship with an alien and the lengths he will go to to protect his new friend. Young boy Elliot (Henry Thomas, “Gerald’s Game”) and his younger sister, the baby Drew Barrymore decide to keep their alien dubbed Gertie a secret until Gertie gets sick draws government attention. Everyone should see this movie, for Stephen Spielberg’s direction and the heartwarming story of love. 

21. Eurovision Song Contest: The Story of Fire Saga (2020) 

Okay, no one really asked for another Will Ferrell movie, but this one reminds us why we started liking them in the first place. Also starring Rachel McAdams, this new Netflix comedy is about Europe’s Eurovision song contest full of pop hits from many European countries, including Iceland, where Lars and Sigrit are from. Lars and Sigrit’s ultimate dream is to make it to Eurovision, and now they must prove to themselves and the world that they have what it takes to win. 

22. Ex Machina (2014) 

One of the emerging movies that examine modern artificial intelligence, “Ex Machina” brings to life everyone’s worry about technology merging with, or overtaking, the capabilities of humans. A couple of “Star Wars” alums work together on this story of a programmer (Domhnall Gleesongetting to spend a weekend working on a project with his company’s infamous CEO (Oscar Isaac). The project is Ava (Alicia Vikander“Tomb Raider”) an artificial intelligence but beautiful robot, who the men underestimate in the ability to think for herself. 

23. The Florida Project (2017) 

Another color-soaked and youth-obsessed movie from the A24 production company, “The Florida Project” is the story of a young girl, her friends, and the naivety of childhood summers on the outskirts of Walt Disney World. Moonee and her friends experience the wonder of endless summer, oblivious to the real-world problems the adults experience around her. Not only is it a visual stunner, but the movie examines innocence and the lack of it in a raw, but never demeaning, perspective. 

24. Fiddler on the Roof (1971) 

Trust me, the only thing you won’t like about this musical movie adaptation is possibly, its length. However, the movie’s three-hour runtime can be justified when you realize how important each moment is to this critically acclaimed film. The story follows Tevye, a poor milkman trying to provide for his family of three daughters in his Jewish community in Czarist Russia. With each marriage of his daughters, Tevye must confront the ever-pulling tug of modern times while fighting to preserve Jewish tradition.  

25. Frances Ha (2012)  

If you liked Oscar nominee “Marriage Story” from director Noah Baumbach, check out his earlier work starring his fellow director and wife, Greta Gerwig. Gerwig plays the title character, an aspiring dancer that moves to New York City, as she apartment hops from friend to friend, chasing her dreams in the face of rejection. “Frances Ha” is an intimate and relatable film, especially for college students finding their way into the real world. 

26. Gerald’s Game (2017) 

There’s nothing better than a Stephen King adaptation if you’re looking for something in the horror genre to take your mind off the new normal. “Gerald’s Game” is a Netflix original and documents the fear and survival of a woman left handcuffed to a bed after a sexual game ends in her husband’s fatal heart attack. Jessie, played by Carla Gugino (“The Haunting of Hill House”), begins hearing voices and seeing figures, making her wonder if she should fear her imagination or the real things come to haunt her in the night. It’s a movie that will sit with you for a while, the performances making it equally hard to forget. 

27. Good Time (2017)  

If you like Robert Pattinson post– “Twilight,” you should check out this movie where he plays a devoted older brother that will do anything to get his brother out of prison after a bank robbery gone wrong. His search for a solution leads him through the depths of New York’s criminal underground in this underrated thriller. 

28. Groundhog Day (1993) 

Everyone knows the classic story of “Groundhog Day”: Phil, a narcissistic weatherman (Bill Murray) along with his producer (Andie MacDowell, “Ready or Not”) and cameraman (“Schitt’s Creek”) are sent to report on Groundhog Day in the small town of Punxsutawney. Phil finds himself stuck in a time loop determined to teach him a lesson. This film is often named one of the best comedies of all time, so whether it’s your first or 100th time watching this film, it’s sure to provide some laughs. 

29. Hail, Caesar! (2016) 

When a Hollywood star (George Clooney) disappears in the middle of filming, the production studio sends their fixer, a person to clean up the messes celebrities make before the press gets to them, to get the star back. This film is inspired by the 1950s career of Eddie Mannix who was considered the best fixer of the classic film era, with Josh Brolin (“Avengers: Endgame”) playing Mannix. This is the perfect comedy and with an all-star cast, so don’t pass it over. 

30. Her (2013) 

The talented “Joker” actor Joaquin Phoenix is no stranger to playing lonely, peculiar men. Seven years ago, Phoenix proved his talent and commitment to a role in the unconventional love story, “Her,” in which he plays a lonely writer that develops a romance with a newly developed operating system, which he names Samantha. It is an interesting story that looks at what qualifies as love while also examining our close relationship, and even dependency, on technology. 

31. Hitch (2005) 

More Will Smith! Pop culture’s wholesome dad plays Alex “Hitch” Hitchens is smooth-talking dating coach, hired by the clueless Albert (Kevin James, “Zookeeper”) to win the love of actress Allegra Cole. Not only does Hitch have to worry about Albert’s relationship, but he also has to navigate his new relationship with reporter Sara (Eva Mendes, “Fast Five”) where Hitch is challenged like never before. love story you can root for and iconic funny moments, this movie outlasts its 15-year age. 

32. Jarhead (2005) 

Before Sam Mendes directed the stunning Oscar winner “1917,” he directed another military film during the Gulf War. Starring Jake Gyllenhaal (“Spiderman: Far From Home”), as a marine enduring the war in the Persian Gulf, yet being kept from most of the action. Dealing with increased paranoia about girlfriend cheating on him and the increased urge to kill, this violent and dark film is anchored by Gyllenhaal’s psychological struggle. 

33. Jerry Maguire (1996) 

Before Tom Cruise’s constant reappearance in the “Mission Impossible” movies, he started in this romantic comedy that has produced so many quotable lines. Cruise plays the title character, a sports agent that realizes the inhumanity in his profession. After writing an expose on the ethics of the major company, he is fired, but he decides to start his own company. He manages to salvage one client, played by Cuba Gooding Jr. (“The People v. O. J. Simpson”), and one former employee (Renée Zellweger, “Judy”) that becomes more than a devoted worker. 

34. Lady Bird (2017) 

Before she played the beloved Jo in “Little Women”Saoirse Ronan was Christine “Lady Bird” McPherson and she’s bored of high school, small towns, and her mother, played by Laurie Metcalf. Along with the other Greta Gerwig star protégé Timothée Chalamet as the bad boy Kyle, Ronan expertly expresses the confinement one feels on the precipice of adulthood but stunted by school, motherly constraint, and societal expectations. You must add this to your watched list (and also don’t miss the “Booksmart” Beanie Feldstein shining in a supporting role). 

35. Life As We Know It (2010) 

One of the more well-made romantic comedies to come out of the 2000s, “Life As We Know It” is the story of two friends of friends, Holly (Katherine Heigl, “Grey’s Anatomy”) and Messer (Josh Duhamel, “Love Simon”) are forced together when their friends die, leaving them as the godparents of their infant son. It’s a sweet and funny story of unconventional parenthooand how love comes when you least expect it.  

36. Marriage Story (2019) 

We all know Marriage Story from that meme of Scarlett Johansson (“Avengers: Endgame”) and Adam Driver (Star Wars: The Force Awakens”) yelling at each other, and while they were sort of picked on for their dramatics, this movie offers beautiful performances from both. It is a simplistic story, but personal and interesting in the way that every couple’s relationship is unique. This movie examines the reality of divorce and the beauty of a relationship in all its stages.  

37. Million-Dollar Baby (2004) 

Clint Eastwood directs and stars in this film as a veteran boxing trainer, hardened by years of keeping everyone out and estrangement from his daughter, is confronted with a young woman boxer (Hilary Swank “Logan Lucky”) determined to go pro. She can only get there with his expertise and guidance, but he can only let people in by agreeing to be her mentor. It is a classic formula, but Eastwood proves he can bring a freshness to the film, even past the prime of his career. 

38. Molly’s Game (2017) 

Jessica Chastain (“IT: Chapter Two”) plays Molly, a real-life Olympic skier hopeful turned entrepreneur that starts a high-stakes poker game involving sports and movie stars, business moguls, and even the Russian mob. She is eventually arrested by the FBI, leaving her in the hands of lawyer Charles Jaffey (Idris Elba). This is perfect for you if you like female-driven dramas or true crime. 

39. Moonlight (2016)  

You probably remember “Moonlight” losing best picture to “La La Land” at the 2017 Oscars—and then realizing that was all a big mistake and “Moonlight” won. It came as a surprise to everyone, of course, due to the mix-up, but also because “La La Land” seemed like an obvious choice for best picture. However, “Moonlight” is fully deserving of the award and the praise it’s received for the story of a young black man’s struggle with finding himself over three generations in Miami. It is a heartbreaking and beautifully shot film starring Mahershala Ali (“Green Book”), Trevante Rhodes (“Birdbox”) and Janelle Monáe (“Harriet”).  

40. Monty Python and The Holy Grail (1975)  

The Monty Python comedy group is responsible for movie spoofs on stories ranging from the meaning of life and Jesus. With one of their best movies, the comedy group parodies the legend of Arthur and his quest for the Holy Grail. This a movie for someone who wants something different than the usual comedies on Netflix (or has watched them all). 

41. Mudbound (2017) 

If you like period dramas, or even if you don’t, this movie is for you. Nominated for four Oscars, “Mudbound” is the story of two families, one black and one white, that are sharecroppers on the same land in post-World War II Mississippi. It is a story with the main theme of racism, but also trauma and injustice caused by unmoving social hierarchies and generations of prejudice. This is all told by a remarkable cast including “The Great Gatsby” alums Carey Mulligan and Jason Clarke, along with Jason Mitchell (“Straight Outta Compton”) and Grammy-winning artist Mary J. Blige.  

42. My Week with Marilyn (2011) 

Yes, that Marilyn. If you’ve ever wondered about the tragic Old Hollywood starlet, this is the movie for you. Michelle Williams (“The Greatest Showman,” “Manchester by the Sea”) plays the title character and does remarkable justice to the legend of the great blonde bombshell. In one of his earlier movies, Eddie Redmayne (“The Theory of Everything” “Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them”) plays, Colin, an assistant film director to Laurence Olivier who had a brief fling with Marilyn. Based on his memoirs, the film takes an in-depth look into the life of Hollywood’s most memorable woman and how that image led to her downfall. 

43. No Direction Home: Bob Dylan (2005)  

Martin Scorsese is known for his mafia dramas, but he also directed one of the greatest documentaries of all time with this chronicle of the iconic musician Bob Dylan. This film isn’t just for fans of Dylan or music lovers; it’s for everyone. Scorsese captures Dylan’s life in concert footage, interviews, and conversations with Dylan’s closest confidants. 

44. Okja (2017) 

Recent Oscar-winning director Bong Joon-ho‘s 2017 film Okja is the story of South Korean girl Mija and her best friend, a genetically modified super-pig. When the animal is kidnapped by a multinational corporation from New York intent on breeding the animal to make more super-pigs. Like all Joon-ho’s films, “Okja” offers social commentary through satirical tales and blended-genres, making this one brutal yet incredibly sentimental to watch.  

45. One Day (2011)  

This one goes out to all the romantics that can’t help but gravitate toward sappy romance movies that inevitably will make them cry. And this one will make you cry. “One Day” is the story of Dexter (Jim Sturgess, “Across the Universe”) and Emma (Anne Hathaway, “Ocean’s 8”) as they meet one night and fumble an attempt at romance, leading them to make different lives without each other. The film catches up with them every year on July 15, a day they decide to reconnect every year. Grab your tissues for this guilty pleasure. 

46. Pride & Prejudice (2005) 

Resigning this movie to a chick-flick really does the incredible acting and directing in the movie, as well as Jane Austin’s novel, an injustice. Kiera Knightly, again doing her favorite kind of work in a period piece, plays Elizabeth Bennet the second-oldest sister of the wild and often inappropriate Bennet family in early 1800s England. As someone wittily smart and unwilling to settle for marriage to advance her status or help her family, Elizabeth feels like no one understands or accepts her. That is until she misunderstands Mr. Darcy and falls in love with the person she least expected.  

47. The Perks of Being a Wallflower (2012) 

If you weren’t part of the generation of awkward teens that felt seen by this movie in 2012, then maybe you witnessed the jokes made in its jest a few years later. Whatever your opinion, this movie is one of the movies that solidified the teen angst dramas that conquered the early 2010s. High school freshman Charlie, played by newly reemerged Logan Lerman (“Hunters”) is adopted by quirky but charismatic seniors Sam (Emma Watson, “Little Women”) and Patrick (Ezra Miller, “Suicide Squad”). With their help, Sam finds the joys in high school and his teenage years. 

48. Roma (2018) 

Winning best foreign film, cinematography, and director at the 2019 Oscars, Alfonso Cuarón’s Roma is a black and white look into Cleo, a domestic worker for a four-kid family in 1970s Mexico City. After her employer’s husband runs away with his mistress and Cleo finds out she’s pregnant, the two women take the children a much-needed vacation. The film is intimate, meditative, and beautifully shot. 

49. Schindler’s List (1993)  

Some consider this movie about the Holocaust as one of the greatest films ever made, and it definitely deserves a watch at least once in someone’s life. Liam Neeson plays Oskar Schindler, a businessman that joins the Nazi party and staffs his factories with Jewish workers. After witnessing the atrocities of the Nazi regime, he starts saving his workers, ultimately saving over a thousand lives. 

50. Silence of the Lambs (1991) 

This is the iconic movie of the legendary psychopath Hannibal Lector (Anthony Hopkins, “The Two Popes”), and all the spin-offs and pop culture references originate with his first on-screen depiction. Jodie Foster plays a young FBI detective sent to interview Lector and get his insight into a case. This is one of the best psychological thrillers ever made, so make sure you take this opportunity to watch it. 

51. Silver Linings Playbook (2012) 

In arguably the best Jennifer Lawrence and Bradley Cooper movie pairings, “A Star is Born” alum plays Pat, a former teacher moving back in with his parents after a stint in a mental institution and losing his wife. While trying to get his life back together, he meets a complicated woman Tiffany, played by “The Hunger Games” Lawrence, who agrees to help him get his wife back if he becomes her partner in a dance competition. The acting is compelling and excellent, winning Lawrence her first Oscar. 

52. Sleepless in Seattle (1993) 

Now is a great time to escape back to the 90s when life seemed simpler and it was romantic to meet a random man at the top of a very tall building. Tom Hanks and Meg Ryan fall in love after Jonah (Hanks) loses his wife and his son calls in to find his dad a new one. A journalist (Ryan) hears the story and decided to fly to Seattle to interview the boy and his dad. What happens next is one of the most popular romantic comedy love stories in film history. 

53. Snowpiercer (2013) 

After Bong Joon-ho won best picture for “Parasite,” Netflix added many of his former films to its collection, including dystopian sci-fi film “Snowpiercer.” Set in 2031, the only living humans after a failed attempt to save humanity from a second Ice Age live in a class-divided train. The lowest class, residing in the caboose, plan to overthrow the class system by taking over the engine room. It’s a wild ride, but like Joon-ho’s other films, is grounded in its empathy and message. 

54. Spiderman: Into the Spider-Verse (2018) 

There are so many movies about Spiderman, and so many opinions about those movies, but almost everyone agrees that this animated version is a stand-out. Starting with Brooklyn teen turned superhero, Miles Morales, the film explores the different versions of Spider-Man that exist throughout different dimensions, all in danger due to the villain Kingpin. This is such a fun and adventurous take on a beloved character, and its appealing to people of all ages. 

55. Spotlight (2015) 

This film is sort of lesser-known but is nonetheless a great movie. With a smattering of interesting actors, including Rachel McAdams and Mark Ruffalo, this film chronicles the true story of the Boston Globe reporters that discovered the child molestation scandal and cover-up in the local Catholic church. The film was praised for sticking close to the real events and the thrill it used to depict the journalistic world.  

56. The Bling Ring (2013) 

Based on a true story, a group of teenagers uses the internet to stalk celebrities in order to rob their homes. Of course, there are consequences, but this underrated film is a look into fame, celebrity culture, and privilege all told by a talented cast, including Emma Watson (“Little Women”), Taissa Farmiga (“The Nun”), and Israel Broussard (“To All the Boys I’ve Loved Before”). 

57. The Death of Stalin (2017) 

If you are in the mood for a dark comedy, try this 2017 flick about the power struggle of Soviet leaders in the wake of Stalin’s death. Among the bumbling leaders are Steve Buscemi (“The Big Lebowski”), Simon Russell Beale (“Into the Woods”), and Jeffrey Tambor (“The Hangover”). It’s a commendable farce and worth the watch. 

58. The Edge of Seventeen (2016) 

“The Edge of Seventeen” put all previous teen angst movies of the 2010s to shame with teen angst expert and “Dickinson” actress Hailee Steinfeld as the outshined younger sister, Nadine. Her life is awkward, her confidant is her teacher (Woody Harrelson, “The Hunger Games”), and her best friend (Haley Lu Richardson, “The Politician”) starts dating her all-star brother (Blake Jenner, “Glee”). Watch this if you want a teen comedy that isn’t outdated or unbearably stereotypical. 

59. The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Society (2018) 

The title itself is intriguing enough. In the aftermath of World War II, London writer Juliet (Lily James, “Mamma Mia: Here We Go Again”) exchanges letters with a unique book club, named above, and eventually decides to take a break from her successful but incomplete life with new fiancé Mark (Glen Powell, “Hidden Figures”) to travel to the smaall island where the book club takes place. After finding inspiration and possibly true love on the island, Juliet must pick between two stories for herself. This movie sounds predictable, and in some ways is, but it’s a good enough film with great performances (including some “Downton Abbey” alums) that make it a solid movie night choice.  

60. The Help (2011) 

In segregated Mississippi, white society rests on the backs of the black help, including Aibileen Clark (Viola Davis, “How to Get Away with Murder”) and Minny Jackson (Octavia Spencer, “Ma”). Mistreated and subject to racism from all sides and kinds, Minny and Aibileen are just trying to provide for their families and avoid abuse from their white woman employers, played by Bryce Dallas Howard (“Jurassic World”) and Jessica Chastain (“It: Chapter Two”). After her mother gets rid of her beloved maid, Eugenia or “Skeeter” decides to write a novel about the mistreatment and struggle of the help, including Minny and Aibileen.  

61. The Irishman (2019) 

If you have not seen this film by now, you’re probably not a huge fan of Martin Scorsese or you have been avoiding this film’s almost 4-hour runtime. If you’re in the latter category, let me assure you that runtime is well earned and worth it. Starring Scorsese favoritesRobert De Niro plays Frank Sheeran who becomes a part of the Bufalino crime family led by Bill Bufalino, played by Joe Pesci in 1950s Pennsylvania. Frank also becomes the right-hand man to Jimmy Hoffa, the notorious union leader with ties to the family. Scorsese tells this story with more patience and attention to character than some of his earlier films, but it nonetheless delivers his brand of crime drama. 

62. The Karate Kid (1984) 

We all probably saw the Jaden Smith remake of “The Karate Kid” on Nickelodeon growing up, but everyone should see the original. Starring teenage heartthrob Ralph Macchio as Daniel, this is a movie that shaped 80s culture and remains a favorite among audiences. 

63. The Meyerowitz Stories (New and Selected) (2017) 

Combine two stars of 2019 releases, Uncut Gems” leading man Adam Sandler and “Marriage Story” director Noah Baumbach, and you get this film from two years prior. Ever the devotee of family conflict, Baumbach directs a story of a Meyerowitz family gathering to celebrate their father’s life achievements as an art professor and sculptor. Along with Sandler, this film has a lot of talent including Dustin Hoffman (“Spielberg”), Ben Stiller (“Zoolander”), Emma Thompson (“Last Christmas”), and Adam Driver (“Marriage Story”).  

64. The Old Guard (2020) 

Gaining a lot of attention since its Netflix release, Charlize Theron stars in this movie as an immortal warrior (yep) in charge of saving the world along with her team of immortals. When their abilities are exposed, they then have to fight the threat of those that want to capitalize on their power. It is an interesting escape from the Marvel universe when looking for a superhero movie. 

65. The Pursuit of Happyness (2006) 

Will Smith, everyone’s favorite celebrity dad, plays the father to his real-life son, Jaden Smith, in this heartwarming film about the struggles and triumphs of parenthood. Evicted from their apartment and forced to live in shelters, this is the true story of a dad with dreams of making his life better, not only for him but for his son.  

66. The Social Network (2010) 

Almost a decade before Facebook was dealing with fake news and hearings for sharing users’ data, Mark Zuckerberg was in hot water for allegedly stealing the idea for the new social media website from fellow Harvard students. This film flies through the early days of “The Facebook” by Zuckerberg(played by Jesse Eisenberg, “Justice League”) and the rise of the company, costing him friends and money along the way. One of those friends is co-founder of Facebook Eduardo Saverin played by Andrew Garfield (“The Amazing Spider-Man”) and frenemy Sean Parker played by Justin Timberlake. Ask anyone, they will tell you the movie is worth the watch. 

67. The Squid and the Whale (2005) 

Netflix is loving Noah Baumbach right now, and honestly, you should too. Produced by Wes Anderson, Baumbacdirects another family conflict, this time the split between a married couple, unintentionally causing their kids to pick sides. Starring Ozark’s” Laura Linney, “The Martian’s” Jeff Daniels, and “Justice League’s” Jesse Eisenberg, this film is intimately touching due to the writing, directing, and acting. 

68. The Theory of Everything (2014) 

This movie, with wonderful performances from both “Fantastic Beasts” actor Eddie Redmayne and “Rogue One: A Star Wars Story” actress Felicity Jones, is a look into the love story that shaped the physicist Stephen Hawking. Falling in love at Cambridge and building a life together despite Hawking’s ALS diagnosis. Running out of time, Hawking changes the field of science as his world changes around him. 

69. Taxi Driver (1976) 

Another Martin Scorsese masterpiece, and many people’s favorite, “Taxi Driver” is the story of a Vietnam veteran barely grasping onto his sanity that takes a job as a cab driver. Played by a young Robert De Niro, Travis is obsessed with ridding New York City of filth but then moves on to delusions of saving the world, spurred by his meeting with a pretty campaign worker and a young prostitute. This film remains timeless no matter its age. 

70. Tigertail (2020) 

After emigrating from Taiwan to the United States, factory worker Grover reflects on his life in Taiwan involving young love and the generations of family he has produced in America. Looking back on his life, he focuses on regrets and the disconnection he feels with his current circumstances. This film is emotional and pensive, a character examination more than movie hinging on the plot.  

71. Train to Busan (2016) 

If you are looking for a horror film, check out this exemplary film to become Korea’s first zombie box office hit. After a mysterious outbreak starts its spread in Korea, passengers on a train to Busan, a city currently untouched by the new virus, must fight for their survival when their escape is thwarted by one infected woman.  

72. Twister (1996) 

The 90s loved a good disaster film. This one, about a tornado and the storm chasers tracking it, is a great movie that doesn’t ask a lot of its viewers. Besides the action that comes with covering a tornado, the film focuses on Bill (Bill Paxton, “The Circle”), a weatherman trying to get his tornado-hunter wife Jo (Helen Hunt, “Soul Surfer”) to grant him a divorce. It’s a great throwback to go back and watch in this time when not much of anything new is coming out. 

73. Uncut Gems (2019) 

Everyone was excited to learn one of Adam Sandler’s best performances was coming to Netflix. Unfortunately dubbed at the Oscars, this movie shows off Sandler’s chops in a drama role to the praise of many audiences. He plays a New York jeweler and that makes high-stakes bets to keep his business and life afloat. You should see for yourself what all the praise is about. 

74. V for Vendetta (2005) 

In a world where Great Britain is a fascist country, there is a masked man known as V that conducts covert operations against the government. When the police abduct Evey, played by Natalie Portman (“Annihilation”), she is rescued by V, only to join the cause against the tyrannical government. Despite its dystopian world, this film reminds audiences that we are never that far removed from dictatorship. 

75. West Side Story (1961) 

Before Stephen Spielberg announced his “West Side Story” remake, now pushed back because of the COVID-19 pandemic, there was the classic musical adaptation about rival gangin Manhattan. In its time, it was a modern retelling of “Romeo and Juliet” about The Jets, made of Polish-Americans, and the Sharks, made of recent Puerto Rican immigrants fight sing to own their neighborhood streets. However, everything is changed when Maria and Tony, of rival gangs, fall in love.