Humans of the Dub: Spring Break

Jordan Bell, Humans of the Dub - Head Editor

What is your favorite spring break memory?

I was in fourth grade, and my family drove down to Atlanta to the aquarium for a few days. As soon as we got there, my dad starting having really awful pains, and he couldn’t do anything while he was there. My mom and I were just going through Atlanta by ourselves at that point, and we soon found out that my dad had a kidney stone. We drove all the way back to Charlotte, and as soon as we got back home, it was gone! It was stressful in the moment, but it’s funny now looking back on it. 

Why do you think spring break is such a big deal for college students?

I think it’s a big deal because it’s a time where students have adult-like freedom, but they’re also probably not going home. Spring break is an opportunity to live a care-free lifestyle for a week. Spring break is also a good time to form relationships with people. I’ve made friendships over the years through spring break, and I’ve planned big spring break trips with friends. It’s a chance for everyone to escape college for a bit. 

Many people read electronic books, do you think that takes away from the reading experience?

I’m not a big fan of e-books. I tried it but couldn’t really get into it. I can’t get into a book if I have to just stare at a screen the whole time. I have to be physically holding the book and turning the pages as well. When I’m reading a book, I don’t want to be adding to my screen time because I already spend enough time on my phone.

Do you feel like external or internal beauty is more important?

After watching Love is Blind on Netflix, I think that internal beauty is more important than external beauty. It’s alright to be attracted externally to the person that you fall in love with, but internal is still more important. If you’re not going to get along with someone, then you definitely won’t be attracted to them after a while. There have been people that I didn’t think were attractive at first, but then after being around them for a while, I started becoming more and more attracted to them.

What makes a person successful?

If someone is proud of their art and the work that they put into it, I would call that successful. It doesn’t matter what kind of work it is. As long as you feel like you put enough effort into it, and you feel like the personal payoff was worth it. There’s not a big difference between finishing a painting that I’ve been working on and turning in a big essay. Those are big successful moments for me. Different types of success but still successful.

Do you think all is fair in love and war?

No! Because you should still be respectful to people. Even if I’m not getting along with someone, I try to respect them as much as I would like them to respect me. It may not be a great situation, but I’ll always try to be respectful in the way that I handle things. When it comes to love, I would never think to be a jerk to someone that I cared about. Even with ex-lovers, I’m always afraid of something crazy happening, so I still like being respectful.

We all have plenty of chaos going on in our lives at the moment, what is harmonious in your life?

The RA staff is balanced in my life. After a bad day, I’ve had several people reach out and extend their friendship to me to make sure that I’m okay. I’ve had all of the RAs show up to my program that I’ve planned after a long day just so they could eat pizza and take pictures with me. That kind of stuff means a lot and I enjoy having them