Cameron School of Business to offer free tax-filing assistance

Travis Stoker

Cameron Hall, which houses the Cameron School of Business.

Kassie Bild, Staff Writer

Tax season has made it around once again, but not to worry as UNC Wilmington and The Cameron School of Business are here to help.  

The Cameron School is offering free tax filing services to all taxpayers through an IRS-sponsored program. This service is offered through a program known as Volunteer Income Tax Assistance, or VITA, which is IRS-approved and helps people with low or moderate-income file taxes. Taxpayers can prepare their federal and state income tax with the help of trained volunteers that are up to date on current tax laws. VITA and CAS share the goal of assisting students and the Wilmington community during this difficult time of the year.  

Most of the IRS-certified volunteers are UNCW students, along with Dr. Victoria Hansen who oversees the program. To volunteer for the VITA program, you must be a UNCW accounting student that has taken an introductory Income Tax course, have completed IRS training and pass the IRS certification exams. From there, students will be able to assist taxpayers by applying the theory they learned in class to real-life people and situations. Students not only gain hands-on experience, but they can also gain a better understanding that will be applicable in future educational endeavors.

To get assistance with your taxes you can go to the UNCW Center for Innovation and Entrepreneurship. This is located at 803-G S. College Road, Wilmington, NC 28403 and will be open:

Saturdays 9 a.m.-3 p.m.

• Feb. 29
  • March 21
  • April 4, 11

Wednesdays 5 p.m.- 8 p.m.

• March 4, 18
  • April 8

To get help you need to bring photo ID such as a Driver’s License or State ID, forms issued to you like a W-2 or 1099, tuition expenses statement in form of a 1098-T for UNCW students, a copy of the prior year’s tax return if possible and proof of account for direct deposit of refund. From there, you take your forms to the center and use the free software to file your taxes. The IRS-certified volunteers will be there to answer questions and guide you through the process.

Tax filers may also prepare and file for free online “myfreetaxes.com.” For additional information about VITA, you can go to The Cameron School of Business’ page or the IRS website. You can also contact Dr. Victoria Hansen at 910-962-3776 or at [email protected].

Tax season may be intimating, but it is bearable with the help of CAS and VITA.