Advice from Sally Seahawk 11/13/19 (Student media, toxic relationships and straight A’s)

Genevieve Guenther

Sally Seahawk, Contributing Writer

How can I get involved more with student media?

Hey there, Seahawk! Now, this is a great question. As I am a part of the student media family, it makes me so happy to hear that you are interested in becoming one of us! The Student Media Center (SMC) is located in little Fisher (the one with Hawk’s Nest) on the first floor near the Pod Market. Once you have made your way into the SMC, ask the person at the front desk if you can speak with Bill DiNome. Bill is the SM advisor, and depending on what branch of media you are looking to get involved in, he will point you into the direction of the club organizers (Editor-In-Chief/Presidents). If you would like to do more research on the student media organizations, check out their social media pages.

The Seahawk → @TheSeahawk (TW) and @TheSeahawkNews (IG)

ACE → @uncwace (IG)  and https://uncw.edu/studentorgs/ace/

TealTV  → @uncwtealtv (IG) and http://www.uncwtealtv.org/

xoxo,

Sally Seahawk

I’m in a toxic relationship and I don’t know how to get out of it. What should I do? 

When I read this question, my heart sank. Being in an unhealthy relationship can have negative effects on every aspect of your life. That unfavorable energy has a way of slipping and sliding into your friendships, school work, career and your overall health. I would first like to say that I am very proud of you for being able to identify that this relationship is not beneficial. To handle this breakup process delicately, I would suggest that you get in contact with the CARE office or the counseling center. They have professionals in these offices who will help you free of charge. You will not be shunned, judged or made fun of in anyway. This is a safe place where everyone’s main priority is you, your safety and happiness. I wish you the best and I hope that you find what you’re looking for in yourself and out of life.

xoxo,

Sally Seahawk

I am so used to getting straight A’s, I don’t know how to handle not performing at that level in college. 

In high school, I was THE ultimate overachiever. I was president of at least six clubs, class president, homecoming princess and a straight A student. Where I found the time or energy to spread myself that thin, I have no clue, because now, four years following high school graduation, I have a hard enough time getting out of my bed for my 3:00 p.m. class. College is a different animal in itself. The workload is different, the curriculum is more complex, and on top of that, you are entering a new phase of life. You cannot expect to perform at the same level simply because life is not the same anymore. If you are genuinely concerned about your grades then reach out to your professor and see if they have any helpful advice for you. The tutoring center in DePaolo Hall is an addition resource that many students do not take advantage of.  I got my first C, second semester of my freshman year and I had a meltdown. In hindsight, I wish I would not have been so hard on myself because I knew that I gave it my best shot. Try your best, do the work and you will get there. College is about more than just grades, it is about discovery. Relax, suge! You got this!

xoxo,

Sally Seahawk