Humans of the Dub: Jiujitsu

Rebecca Felicelli, Humans of the Dub - Staff Writer

If you did not have to sleep, what would you do with your extra time? 

I would probably do art, like painting and drawing stuff. I’m not very good at it, but I really like it. I would like to have more time to do it if I have more free time. If I didn’t have to sleep, I would probably do art, and I would spend extra time with my family because it can be hard to split your time between family and friends and your other obligations. 

Is art something you are passionate about? Or what is something you are passionate about? 

I really like art, but I don’t know if I would describe myself as passionate about it. I know a lot of artists. Their work has a lot of meaning or it gives a lot of emotion to people. I don’t do art to have meaning. I just do it because I like creating stuff, and I think it’s fun. I am really, really passionate about jujitsu. I started doing it for fun as a kid. I kind of started as an accident because my brother did it. I loved it, it was like my favorite part of the week. Now I still do it. I help teach the kids. It’s one of my favorite things to do. 

What is something that scares you? 

Probably graduating from college because there’s not as much guidance with taking college classes as there are in high school. They don’t tell you exactly what you need for to graduate and stuff. There’s a lot of kids who don’t necessarily graduate in four years, which is kind of scary. I mean, not that there’s anything wrong with not graduating in four years, but having to pay for that extra year. I already have student loans. It’s scary to me that I’ll have to pay those off. 

Do you think you are motivated by your fears? For instance, given the scenario, you are given 100 million dollars, say you could drop out of school if you wanted to, would you? 

I’d want to finish my education despite being given a million dollars hypothetically. Just having education is a good thing to have, even if you don’t necessarily need to work. Money is temporary— education isn’t. Plus, if I could afford an education, why not. College is about more than taking classes. It’s about the things you get to experience and the people you meet. So, if I had a million dollars, I definitely wouldn’t drop out. I’d pay off the student loans I have and continue going to school.

Is there something that you want to accomplish? 

To study abroad in China and hopefully learn to speak Chinese as fluently as I possibly can. 

If you could be anything, what would you be? 

Honestly, I would probably be a jujitsu teacher.  It’s really cool. I know, especially, women who become black belts, have opportunities to teach. There’s really cool traveling involved with it and everything. I feel like it’s something that I’d really like to do if that was something that came into my life.