Advice from Sally Seahawk 10/16/19 (Diversity, designated drivers, post-graduation)

Sally Seahawk, Contributing Writer

Is my school ignoring diversity? What do I do?

It is no secret that UNC Wilmington is not the most diverse college in the Carolinas. Being in an environment that you do not feel represented in can be quite the adjustment. For instance, I grew up in a very diverse community where people from a variety of different backgrounds, cultures and beliefs coexisted harmoniously. Something that you can do to ease your transition is to seek guidance from the resource offices here on campus. Located in Fisher University Union include Centro Hispano, Upperman African American Cultural Center, the LGBTQIA+ Office, the Multicultural Affairs Office and the Women’s Studies Resource Office. Hopefully knowing that these safe spaces are available to you will aid in you becoming more comfortable on campus. Believe it or not, UNCW’s diversity has drastically increased since I started here just three short years ago. 

xoxo,

Sally Seahawk 

After how many times do I respectfully refuse my designated driver services? 

DISCLAIMER: If you are under 21 years of age, then by law you are the designated driver until you are of the legal drinking age. Stay safe, my friends. If you are anything like me, then you hate the idea of getting in an Uber drunk. There have been far too many stories about attempted kidnappings and sexual assaults for my liking. After you have been the designated driver twice in a row, I would suggest to ask your friends about taking turns. This is the fairest and most democratic way of doing things. Having a rotating schedule will allow everyone to contribute to the safety and well-being of the group. If your friends get upset with you not wanting to be their designated driver, then they are not your friends: they are your customers, and they owe you money. Bill them, keep it moving and find better friends who encourage you to speak your mind.

xoxo,

Sally Seahawk 

How do I decide between grad school and the workforce? 

Making the decision to continue your education after you have received a degree is incredibly difficult. Many of our parents, aunts, uncles or cousins come from an era where the world was full of endless opportunities if they had a bachelor’s degree. While this was the reality for many, it is not for our generation. Young adults getting out of college have an incredibly hard time finding work after graduation, let alone work in their field of study. Graduate school is a good option if you can afford it. Something to take into account is that there are a number of businesses that will pay you to get your master’s degree. Either way, there is no wrong answer to this question. You have to be confident in your decision making and know that you are making the right choice for you, no matter what that is. 

xoxo,

Sally Seahawk