Advice from Sally Seahawk 10/2/19 (Third-wheeling, undeclared and cut-off)

Genevieve Guenther

Sally Seahawk, Contributing Writer

All of my friends have significant others and I’m always stuck as the third or fifth wheel? When will it be my turn to graduate from the single life? 

Being single in a world full of “#RelationshipGoals,” social media and unrealistic expectations is a stressful chore that none of us internet natives could have anticipated. While it may suck being the only single friend right now, do not fret. Your time will come; it is just not right now. As cliche as that sounds, you need to understand that there is true power in being single. Take this time to get to know yourself better and set a standard for how people treat you. I spent my entire sophomore and junior year single and despite how “lonely” I thought that I was, and looking back on it, I spent a lot of time building my self-confidence and am now fighting suitors off with a stick. Be patient. There is more value in waiting for something/someone that is worth it rather than settling just to feel included.

xoxo,

Sally Seahawk

I’m an undeclared sophomore and I feel super embarrassed by that. It seems like everyone else has their lives figured out while I am still searching for my passion. How do I figure out what is for me? 

First things first, give yourself some credit. You made it to your second year of college, (I am assuming that) you are in good academic standing, and you have got plenty of time to explore more options. To some, the university requirements may seem like a waste of time; however, they were designed to give students like you the opportunity to be exposed to a variety of subjects they might not have taken up on their own. Society puts a lot of pressure on people our age to have things figured out, but no generation is really any different. We have all been scared about life after graduation. We have all been frustrated with ourselves for skipping one class to study for another. Reaching out to the lovely people in UNCW’s Career Center would do you a lot of good. They can break down what kind of degree you need to do x, y and z, along with providing you with a broader scope of ideas. You have time, but be proactive. Remember honey: everything looks better on Instagram.

xoxo,

Sally Seahawk

Over the last few years, my parents have been paying for all of my expenses. Now that I’m a junior, they have decided to cut me off until I get and maintain a job. I have no work experience and my pride will not allow for me to become employed just anywhere. I’m lost, Sally…and I’m broke. Please help!!!

Congrats! Welcome to the “Real World Simulation: College Edition.” Even though I have been paying for a large part of my tuition and fees over the last few years, there is still a nice level of joy and independence that I feel when I make a “big girl purchase.” Your parents love you and they do not want you going into the world like one of those spoiled brats that eat caviar for breakfast and salmon with bagels at night. Handshake is a great tool to use if you are looking for jobs on or off campus. As this may seem incredibly unfair, close your eyes and think about a person who has never in their life had to work for anything. Even if you come from a wealthy family, having a job teaches you a level of discipline that you cannot learn in class. You are going to be fine. It is just time to wake up and hustle!

xoxo,

Sally Seahawk