Advice from Sally Seahawk 4/24/19 (STIs, Pregnancy, & The Distant Future)

Sally Seahawk, Staff Writer

I recently had a one night stand and I’m afraid that I may have an STI, what should I do?

Despite our weird and twisted Americanized thoughts on sex, it is a perfectly natural and beautiful part of life. Many studies even show that people with healthy sex lives are less likely to suffer from depression, have clearer skin, and live longer. Growing up in the bible belt, not only were my parents very uncomfortable talking to me about raunchier facts of life, the public school system did an even worse job by only preaching abstinence. Because this is the reality for many young adults, it is not uncommon to get to college and explore your sexual desires with other young adults with similar needs. Now, with that being said, no matter how liberating or fun sex may be, it comes with a lot of responsibility. Before you become intimate with a new partner, you should ask them when the last time they were tested. As awkward as this may seem, it’s a vital piece of information that goes a long way. Aside from making sure that you are getting tested on the regular, take advantage of contraceptives. Condoms are sold on campus at the pod market and you can get a birth control prescription on campus from the health center. And in the event that these two methods fail, the Plan B pill can also be found in the health center. Sex is a grown-up thing, and if you want to act grown, then you have to be grown. Do the responsible thing by contacting your partner and asking them about their sexual history. No matter what they say after that, be sure to schedule a doctor’s appointment just to make sure everything’s okay! Safe sex is the best sex!

xoxo,

Sally Seahawk

A good friend of mine recently told me that she was pregnant and she doesn’t want to keep the baby. Typically, I’m pro-life however going through this situation is challenging my beliefs.

The beauty of growing up is the fact that we are able to see ourselves change and evolve right before our eyes. There are moments and memories that we will be able to look back on and see how it has affected our lives. This, my friend, is one of those moments. Being pro-choice does not mean that you do not value the lives of unborn children, it simply means that women have the choice (within reason) to terminate a pregnancy if they so choose. In a world with corrupt foster care systems and millions of homeless or troubled youth, many women find it just as hard to give up their child as it would be to have an abortion. In no way am I saying that you should immediately change your standpoint on such an emotional subject; however, because this situation is so sensitive, you should respect whatever decision your friend decides to make. While it may not be the right decision for you, if it is the right one for her, then who are you to dispute that?

xoxo,

Sally Seahawk

I have a tendency to worry about things that are in the distant future. How do I get over all of these concerns?

You can play the “What if…?” game all day long. Sometimes it is entertaining, sometimes it is exhilarating, and sometimes it is disappointing. However, no matter how much positive or negative thought that you are giving anything or any situation, you are distracting yourself from the now. How will you ever be able to enjoy the gifts from the present if you’re always so concerned about how you’re going to move 15 steps from now. It is good to look ahead, but don’t get so caught up in the daydreams that you forget to live. Anxiety comes in many shapes and sizes, and worry is one of them. Trust in yourself and believe that what is for you will always be for you. Be your own peace; this is a painful world.

xoxo,

Sally Seahawk