Advice from Sally Seahawk 4/10/19 (Hygiene, Soul-Searching, & Alcoholism)

Sally Seahawk, Staff Writer

A friend of mine has really bad hygiene. How do I go about breaking it to him?

We all know at least one person who could stand to take full advantage of a basic hygiene 101 lesson. Whether it’s their physical stench or dental instability, it’s obvious that this person does not know how to sufficiently get the job done. It’s one thing to tell a friend that they’ve got something in their teeth, but it’s a whole different ball game when you’re basically telling them that they stink. There’s really no good or delicate way to handle the situation, so it’d honestly just be best to rip the band-aid off. Let them know that you’re coming from a good place and that you care about them, then just air it all out. Give your friend some advice about possible cleansing brands they can start using or even go through your day/night routine with them so they can have a decent example to take away from. It is highly probable that your friend will not take this well but just continue to reassure them that you are looking out for their best interest.

xoxo,

Sally Seahawk

I’m a freshman and I hate being in school. I would have much rather gotten a job or did some soul searching before I came here but my parents would have a cow if I didn’t get a degree.

Being a young adult in college is essentially like being in limbo. We are granted a number of responsibilities and expectations; however, many of us are unable to afford to be fully independent. It’s like we’re pseudo-adults. I know that a conversation like this can be very difficult to have, but it is necessary for your own sanity. Your parents want what’s best for you, but it is unethical to force you to do something that you don’t want to do. Prior to going into this conversation with Mom and Dad, you should at the very least give some thought to how they will react. If they aren’t receptive, will you be okay with that? If they ask you your plan for your life, will you have an adequate response prepared? Of course you can’t prepare for everything, but as any good lawyer would tell you, if you want to win an argument you have to think about the other sides point of view. At the end of the day, you are your longest commitment and you have to do what’s best for you. Stay honest and be true to yourself no matter how hard it is.

xoxo,

Sally Seahawk

My roommate has been going through a lot lately and I think she’s on the road to becoming an alcoholic. How do I go about having an “intervention” with her before it’s too late?

Sheesh. Life usually doesn’t give us any warnings when things start to get rough. Alcoholism is a very common disease that begins in young adulthood. When talking with your roommate, you should handle the situation very delicately. You don’t want her to push you away, however you do want her to see that you care about her. Gather one or two friends and make a plan to sit and talk with your roommate about the severity of the path that she’s on, and then point her to the direction of the UNCW counseling center. Whether you live on- or off-campus, the counseling center is a great (and free) resource that students should take advantage of. The problem isn’t the alcohol, the problem is the dependency, and unless you are a counselor or a psych major, what your roommate is going through is probably out of your pay grade. Good luck with everything and be sure to be understanding and caring.

xoxo,

Sally Seahawk