Advice from Sally Seahawk 4/3/19 (changing majors, leaving Wilmington, and dropping friends)

Sally Seahawk, Staff Writer

I’m more than halfway through with my sophomore year in college and I hate my major. What should I do?

Picking up and starting over in all instances can be terrifying. The best part about this time in our lives is that we are young and we’ve still got time to make mistakes. So what, you don’t like your major? Change it. You’re only a sophomore. You have plenty of time to navigate yourself into a field of study. It’s important not only to study something that you’re passionate about, but to be happy as well. Yes, you may have to take a summer class or two. Yes, you may also have to be in class with freshmen, but no one cares. We are all going at our own pace here and, despite how things look like on the outside, no one has everything figured out. Do what you love; otherwise you’re paying to be miserable, because college is a lot of things, but cheap is not one of them. Talk with your friends, advisors, career counselors, whomever. The decisions that we make today will have long-lasting effects on us tomorrow – literally and figuratively.

xoxo,

Sally Seahawk

My boyfriend graduates this semester and I still have a year left. He wants to get a job in Wilmington but he would only be here for me. Should I encourage him to follow his dreams or stay here with me?

There are a lot of misconceptions around long distance relationships. Some people believe that they’re a waste of time, whereas others have only ever been in LDRs. Ultimately, I don’t believe that distance makes much of a difference. I’m one of those people who largely puts their faith in fate. If it is meant to be, no matter how difficult it may be, it’ll always be. With this being said, LDR’s are a lot of work and they can indeed be the cause of strain in a relationship. Ultimately, the decision is up to your boyfriend: If he wants to stay in Wilmington, then by all means, stay. However, if it is his dream to be elsewhere, you should encourage him to do that. It’s not every day that we are offered dream-like opportunities. Neither him staying or going is a guarantee that you will stay together or break up. Only time will tell.

xoxo,

Sally Seahawk

The friend group that I have now does not seem to have my best interest in mind. I don’t want to hang out with them anymore but without them I’d be completely alone.

Drop them, Sis! Drop them like they are hot! At no time is it ever, ever, ever, ever okay for you to remain in contact with anyone for fear of being alone. This is an unhealthy habit that many people in toxic relationships have developed. The only person in this situation that you’re hurting is yourself and you deserve better. Of course it sucks to be alone, but learning to be content by yourself is a helpful skill. At any point in life you may not have people in your corner, you may have to do some soul searching and self-motivation. All of which you cannot do unless you are comfortable with your own thoughts, judgments, and decisions. Also, you need to remember that your loneliness will not last forever. Maybe distancing yourself from this friend group can give you the opportunity to find people who you genuinely vibe with. Now that you know better, it’s time to do better.

xoxo,

Sally Seahawk