SGA elections: Dunagan and Fink look to enhance student experience

Courtesy of Dunagan/Fink 2019 campaign

Nolan Dunagan, left, and Anna-Kelly Fink, right

Jonny Berrios, Staff Writer

The UNC Wilmington 2019 Student Government Association elections will conclude Thursday at 4 p.m., crowning a new president and vice president of the UNCW student body later that afternoon. Three teams of candidates have announced their campaigns for office, and one is focusing on improving day-to-day life for students.

Nolan Dunagan, director of marketing for SGA and a junior, is running for SGA president. His running mate is Anna-Kelly Fink, currently sophomore class president for SGA. Dunagan has been with SGA for three years, and Fink for two years.

“I’m really passionate about our organization,” Dunagan said. “I’ve been able to work under three different administrations, so I have been able to see what works and what doesn’t.”

Dunagan has worked his way up in SGA. He was elected as a freshman, sophomore, and now currently as a junior, serving on the executive board as director of marketing. Dunagan stated that his three years with SGA has helped him see how they have grown and how they have been held back, which he considers a unique perspective.

Fink was originally introduced to SGA in the first semester of her freshman year. Fink came to UNCW with an eye on student government and the possibility of law school after her undergraduate career.

“It was actually the first booth that I went to at the involvement carnival during freshman orientation,” Fink said.

Fink said that her knowledge of SGA and her passion for the student experience makes her a great candidate. Fink was an orientation leader and currently works as a desk receptionist in Belk Hall. Next year she will be a resident assistant.

“I have been able to see the different aspects of the student experience through my involvement with freshman orientation and student housing,” Fink said.

They plan on finding a Housing & Residence Life representative for SGA to represent the many students that live on campus. Being a resident assistant at Seahawk Landing, Dunagan understands the need for representing these students.

They are pushing for free feminine hygiene products on campus. They stated that seeing other student organizations such as the Feminine Student Alliance push for this helped them realize the need for this change on campus.

Dunagan stated that being able to give back and interact with all students at all times to make the university a better, safer, more enjoyable place is their goal.

“It goes friends, family, and UNCW for me,” Dunagan said. “I just love this school so much.”

For more info on these candidates follow them @dunaganfink2019 on Instagram.