Advice from Sally Seahawk 3/27/19 (Graduation, Internships, Grief)

Sally Seahawk, Contributing Writer

I’m not doing well in one of the classes that I need to graduate. How do I reach out to my professor this late in the semester?

There’s something about spring semester that’s just harder than the fall. Maybe it’s because the weather is nicer and we’re that much closer to summer. Or maybe it’s because we’re still a little burnt out from the fall. Either way, don’t feel too bad, spring fever gets to everyone and our minds start to drift seemingly simultaneously. Before you go crawling to your professor on your hands and knees, you should definitely look through the syllabus. Search for extra credit opportunities, office hour appointments, and any other clues that may help dig you out of the hole that you’re in. After you’ve gone through the syllabus with a fine tooth comb, schedule an appointment with your professor, and plead your case. Do not ask them for a better grade or a second chance to complete an assignment; instead ask for guidance and advice. “What are effective ways to study for this class?” “Is there someone that you would suggest that I get in contact with?” “Will I be able to bring my grade up by finals?” These questions are ones of desperation, but they also acknowledge the fact that you know that you’ve dropped the ball. Time to put on your big girl/boy undies and do what you’ve got to do.

xoxo,

Sally Seahawk

My best friend and I both applied for a summer internship at the same company. She got the job and I didn’t. I’m trying to be happy for her but I’m a little bitter about the situation.

Ugh! This is so hard and I completely understand. Of course you are excited for your friend, but it sucks to feel like you’re not good enough for something as important as an internship. One thing I would definitely say to focus on is to try not to be a hater. Someone else’s light shining is not in attempt to dim yours. Everything happens for a reason, and when one door closes, another one opens. Take this time to not only dismiss your negative energy but put your positive energy into something worthwhile. You could find a new hobby, perfect your craft, or even give yourself a well-deserved break. Things will most definitely work themselves out, they always do. Don’t forget that what is meant for you will never change. Keep grinding!

xoxo,

Sally Seahawk

A cousin that I was really closed to recently passed away. I haven’t been able to focus in class or hang out with my friends.

Grief is one of the hardest things to experience. It’s engulfed with an array of emotions amidst confusion with trying to maintain your everyday lifestyle. If you are having issues with focusing, you should definitely email your professors and let them know what you’ve got going on. Trust me, more than likely they’ll understand and they may even be able to cut you some slack here or there. The next thing that I would do is to stop beating yourself up. Take everything one day at time and find small victories that bring a smile to your face. As students, we rarely ever take advantage of the resources that we have available to us. Located in the upstairs section of DePaolo Hall is the Counseling Center. It is free of charge and you can go in at any time to schedule an appointment. While it’s convenient to lean on friends or family, an unbiased third-party member can help you sort out your feelings a little better. Grief doesn’t get easier, it just becomes manageable. Sending you much love and positive vibes.

xoxo,

Sally Seahawk