Humans of the Dub: Childhood Memories / Success / Self-Realization

Photograph by Atticus Li, Humans of the Dub

Atticus Li, Humans of the Dub - Staff

Do you have any favorite memories of childhood?

My favorite memory of my childhood would definitely I have this vivid memory of pulling out you know one of those old I spy books around cities, and I would get out my toys in my room and arrange the scene and pretend that I am traveling. I would drag my mom in there with all the suitcases and we would be traveling to all these places.

If you had to write a book about yourself how would you title it?

I would title it ‘Equilibrium’ because you’re always pursuing balancing everything when you can look at different elements of nature you can apply it to politics, or economy or whatever. We are all just chasing balance.

What do you think is getting in the way of your own success?

I don’t think there’s a whole lot of barriers in my way to success.

How do you define success?  

I would say success, in all honesty, would be wholly seeking religion for me would be defined as a successful life. So, what would be standing in my way of that would be just myself at that point, but success like in a more material like the world sense would be I guess I make ends meet.

Has there ever been a time where religion really helped you?

Yeah and in what sense, like, emotionally personally for sure. It is a really big part of my identity. It creates purpose and without that what is that all for?

We are just mindless bodies floating around?

Yeah, pretty much.

What is the dumbest accomplish that you are super proud of?

Like secret talents? You know in high school my friend we had to have these senior projects and my friend decided that for his he was going to do a version of the ‘Dundies’ for a high school class scene of the office and they have that episode where they give out awards. And I was given the gym helper award and I’ve always been like for some reason proud of that random award.

What is the most surprising self-realization you have had?

I think the biggest one was when I realized I could be a scientist. I know that sounds weird but the kid I never thought that I was smart enough or you know how that right mentality and then I get to college and I fall in love with my science courses and the biggest self-realization that came from that was that really the only thing and he is would I expect myself to be unable to do. so, I think for me that was probably the biggest one. I never would’ve expected myself to be able to be outside that little box.