Advice from Sally Seahawk 1/31/19

Sally Seahawk, Contributing Writer

So I’ve been talking to this guy for a while and the vibes are just off. When is it okay to start ghosting him?
Hey Danny Phantom! How’s it going? Okay so, ghosting. It’s a common phenomena that our generation has become obsessed with. Whether it’s removing people from your social media, blocking phone numbers, or just completely disregarding the existence of the human being of your choice, it’s everywhere (Bill Murray couldn’t bust all of these ghosts). When you are in a potentially romantic “situationship” with someone, I don’t think it’s ever okay to ghost them. Unless the circumstances are dire and you feel like your safety is in danger, then definitely do what you have to do. However, if you’re just not feeling him anymore, just be honest with him. Ghosting leaves so much room for people to begin to overthink, beat themselves up, and spend a countless amount of time and energy trying to figure out what they did wrong. So, while ghosting may be the most convenient thing for you, it’s 2019, sis, time to start taking accountability and communicating like a big girl. More than likely it will be awkward and completely uncomfortable, but you’ll be a better person for it.

xoxo,
Sally Seahawk

My roommate and I hate each other, how do I live with someone that I can’t stand?
Roommate situations are the stickiest! Everyone wants to like their roommate enough to tolerate their annoying habits, but no one ever wants to put in the work. Just like any relationship, becoming halfway decent roommates takes work and lots of it. The best thing for you guys to do is to have a sit-down conversation, air out all of the dirty laundry, set boundaries and move on. If you are paying money to sleep in that bed, use that bathroom, and keep food in that refrigerator, then there is no reason to come home to a hostile living environment. The two of you may never be “besties” and you may never actually like each other, but the goal is tolerance. Can you learn to respect each other enough to cohabitate the same place? May the odds be in your favor.

xoxo,
Sally Seahawk

The semester is just started and it’s like I’ve been taking L after L, how do I get myself together?
I feel this one on a spiritual level. Last semester was hectic for everyone and I don’t know if it’s just me, but winter break was everything I needed it to be and more. Making the adjustment back to a regular semester can be very difficult for anyone. To help navigate your negative energy into something positive, you should buy a calendar. Writing things down provides you with a visual representation of your responsibilities. This way you won’t forget the important things and you can begin to manage your time better to avoid taking anymore “L’s.” I’m not sure if you’re familiar with the show “Insecure,” but the main character, Issa Dee, has a freestyling alter-ego that raps words of affirmation to herself in the mirror. Now, I’m not sure what kind of lyricist you are, but looking in the mirror and giving yourself a pep talk first thing in the morning can give you that little extra motivation to stay on your game. Last few tips: stop snoozing your alarm and try to start making your bed within the first 20 minutes that you wake up. There’s a great book written by Admirable William H. McRaven called “Make Your Bed: Little Things That Can Change Your Life,” and he talks about how making your bed is a great start to your day as it is your first accomplishment that can give you feelings of capability. You’ve got this!

xoxo,
Sally Seahawk