Advice from Sally Seahawk

Back to Article
Back to Article

Advice from Sally Seahawk

Sally Seahawk, Staff Writer

How long do I need to study for the GRE?

How long you should study for the GRE depends on a lot of things and is different for everybody. If you typically learn fast, you will need less time to study, while if you need more time for the learning process you should allow yourself more time to study. Most people who take the GRE start studying months before their scheduled test date. Usually around 3-4 months before. This allows you time to study vocabulary words, refresh your math skills and learn strategies for taking the test itself. Depending on how busy your schedule is, you could shorten the study period to 1-2 months, but most college students have a busy schedule and cannot study for the GRE every day or sometimes not even every week. I would recommend allowing yourself at least 2 months to study for the test. Because the GRE is so costly, you don’t want to just wing it and have to retake and repay for the test.

A lot of my friends want to exchange Christmas presents this year, but I don’t have enough money to buy them all a gift. Is there an alternative I could suggest that wouldn’t upset everyone?

Christmas time can be hard for college students because we want to buy presents for everyone, but we can’t afford to. There are a couple suggestions you could propose to your friend group. You could have a Christmas party and have everyone bring a $5-10 gift and do the Chinese gift exchange. This way everyone leaves with a gift, but nobody spends a lot of money on presents for each individual person. You could also suggest that you just go out to eat or go to the movies as a group as your Christmas presents to each other. You wouldn’t spend a lot of money and you get to spend time with your friends before you all go home for Christmas. I think these are great alternatives for college students during the holidays to help save money but also still be able to celebrate Christmas with your friends.

I’m starting to lose motivation for school. Any tips to help me finish this semester strong?

Trust me, you are not the only one feeling this way. Almost all college students are losing motivation because it’s getting near to the end of the semester and also because this semester has been so exhausting since we’ve been back from the hurricane break. Try to keep your mind focused on the finish line. We only have about three weeks left in the semester and then you get a month break from school and the stress you are feeling. Sometimes what helps me get through the times when I’m losing motivation is to plan something fun during the holiday break. That way you have something to look forward to when you finish with this tough part of school. Having something to look forward to will help motivate you to complete your assignments so that you are one step closer to your fun plans. If you need a more immediate reward for yourself you could make plans during the week with your friends so that you can have something to look forward to daily instead of one big thing at the end of the semester.