Humans of the Dub: Forensic Psychology / Diversity at UNCW / Financial Aid

Photograph by Lisa Baxter, Humans of the Dub

Lisa Baxter, Humans of the Dub - Staff

What’s your major?

Psychology and Criminology.

What made you choose that major?

My mom is a lawyer and I love “Criminal Minds.”

What kind of law does your mom do?

She does equal employment law.

What did you want to be when you were growing up?

When I was growing up, I wanted to be a lawyer.

What kind of psychology are you interested in?

I’m interested in forensic psychology.

What does that mean?

It’s where criminology and psychology meet. For example, it’s the people who interview the criminals.

What’s your favorite thing about UNCW?

The people. A lot of them are really friendly.

If you could change anything about campus, what would you change?

Diversity.

How would you do so?

I feel like we should just accept more people of different minorities and I feel like at the same time, I know it’s not always UNCW’s fault because not a lot of minorities apply…because it’s so traditionally…not diverse.

How do you think they’re creating a more diverse community? Do you think they’re creating a more diverse community?

I don’t think they’re creating a more diverse community, but I think they’re making the people who are minorities feel more welcomed. The Centro Hispano and the Upperman [African American Cultural] Center, it’s a place to go and feel more welcomed, to find people more like you and who understand what you’re going through.

What is something you wish you could take back?

I don’t know. I feel like everything I’ve done has helped me grow as a person, so I feel like it was supposed to happen.

Are you spiritual?

No. I don’t really fall under a religion. I just think everything happens for a reason.

If you could determine one change campus-wise, what would you do?

Financial aid.

What about it?

It’s scarce for people who are out of state. I’m from Maryland.

What are the pros and cons of being out-of-state?

A con is that I’m really far away from my family. When Hurricane Florence hit, my mom and my dad didn’t know what to do, so they drove eight hours to come get me and immediately drove the eight back because they didn’t want to stay. Another con would be holidays. Sometimes I just have to stay here.

Two years ago, I think, Thanksgiving break was cut in half. It was, like, three days so it didn’t make sense to go back home to Maryland. But a pro would be that I had to learn how to be more of an adult faster. I have to get a job, have to meet people.

You said your mom is a lawyer. You’re following, sort of, in her footsteps. Does that make her proud?

When I was a little kid, I wanted to be a lawyer. I wanted to be like my mom. But as I grew up, I was like, “I don’t want to be like my mom. That’s weird. I want my own thing,” and now it’s psychology. Then, sophomore year, I decided I wanted to be a lawyer again and my mom was like, “I knew you’d come around my way,” so I think she’s proud. But, I’m not interested in what she’s doing. I think that’s boring! Not her actual job, because employment opportunities are really important. She typically just deals with discrimination in the workplace and I really like the criminal aspects.

If you could describe yourself in five words, which would you choose?

Passionate, determined, hardworking, funny – at least I think I am – and caring.

What are you passionate about?

I’m passionate about equal rights. I’m passionate about climate change. I’m passionate about advocating for mental illnesses, the Black Lives Matter movement, and LGBTQ rights.

Did you vote?

Yes, I did! I sent in an absentee ballot.

Note: This interview was completed by Humans of the Dub staff member Lisa Baxter with the help of Tara O’Neill.