UNCW Police Department releases annual security report for 2018

Travis Stoker

Tyler Newman, Assistant News Editor

On Oct. 16, UNC Wilmington Police Department and UNCW Office of Title IX and Clery Compliance released the annual security report for the university’s main campus, the Center for Marine Science, and the D.C. Virgo Preparatory School.

“This report includes statistics for the previous three years concerning certain categories of crimes that occurred on campus, in off-campus buildings or property owned or controlled by UNCW, and on public property within or immediately adjacent to and accessible from the campus. The report also includes institutional policies concerning campus security, sexual misconduct, emergency response, and other matters,” the report read in its introduction.

The 2018 report covers law enforcement policies, timely warning procedures, crime prevention policies and crimes reported from 2015 to 2017. Crimes reported include assault, rape, dating crimes, drug and alcohol crimes, arson and theft among others.

Notably there was an on-campus spike in reports of rape, liquor referrals, drug referrals and drug arrests from last year. There was also a small rise in reports of burglary, stalking, fondling and aggravated assault.

According to the report, crime reports on-campus include: “Any building or property owned or controlled by an institution within the same reasonably contiguous geographic area and used by the institution in direct support of, or in a manner related to, the institution’s educational purposes, including residence halls; and any building or property that is within or reasonably contiguous to the area previously identified in this definition, that is owned by the institution but controlled by another person, is frequently used by students, and supports institutional purposes (such as a food or other retail vendor).”

In 2016, there were only four reports of rape on UNCW’s main campus. In 2017, the reports jumped up to 11. That represents an increase of about 175%.

For liquor referrals, the number climbed from 378 in 2016 to 463 in 2017. Drug referrals climbed from 54 in 2016 to 93 in 2017.

The number of drug arrests rose from 58 to 91 between 2016 and 2017.

The number of reported crimes at the Center for Marine Science in 2017 was zero across the board.

The reported crimes for 2018 are expected to be released sometime in 2019, following the current annual security report releases.

In an email sent to the campus community regarding the annual security report, the UNCW Police Department provided a link to access the report online.

“As required by federal regulation, this report is available and may be accessed at: https://uncw.edu/ehs/2018_ASR.pdf.”

To request a paper copy or obtain additional information, contact the UNCW Police Department at [email protected] or 910-962-7892.