Advice from Sally Seahawk

Genevieve Guenther

Sally Seahawk, Staff Writer

Is there any way that we can help in the community after Hurricane Florence?

There is a student-led organization that has been formed in hopes to help the community of Wilmington with hurricane relief. It is called “We Wilm Rebuild” and you can follow them on Instagram (@wewilmrebuild) to keep up with what is going on and how to get involved. As of right now, they have donation drives set up across North Carolina in cities such as Charlotte, Raleigh, and Greensboro. They are asking individuals to collect items such as water, food, blankets, pet supplies, batteries, flashlights and toiletries to bring back for the individuals who have been affected by Hurricane Florence in Wilmington. You can set up a new donation drive location through this organization and help out that way. When everybody is able to return to Wilmington there will also be a lot of cleaning up to do, which will most likely be advertised through this organization also. This is a great opportunity to help out and give back to our Wilmington community. There are also multiple churches in Wilmington that are coming together to help during this time.

I’m trying to decide if I want to get a job while I’m a full-time student, but I don’t want it to be too much on my plate at once. What should I do?

I would keep school as my top priority, but if you are staying on top of your schoolwork and performing well in school, then I might consider looking for a part-time job. However, when looking for a job you want to make sure that it is something that can be flexible for your school schedule and your possible need for study time or meetings on campus. Another thing to consider when looking for a job is the weekend hours that you will be responsible for. If you are often out of town on the weekends you should try to find something that is only a weekday job so that you won’t have to constantly ask for days off. On-campus jobs are a great way to earn money while also staying in a flexible environment that only works during the weekdays. The Career Center could help you look for available jobs on campus that you might enjoy, so go check them out! If you decide to take a job and then realized that it is too much for you, you could either ask for fewer hours during the week or you could simply explain your situation to your supervisor. Since you are choosing to make school a priority most employers will understand your situation as a college student.

I’ve been trying to work out more, but I prefer to do it in noncrowded environments because I tend to get self-conscious of myself. Do you know of anywhere I can go?

The University of North Carolina at Wilmington (UNCW) Student Recreation Center is a great place to go work out. They have almost all of the equipment that you could need to get a good work out in. However, at certain times of the day, it can be crowded. In the evenings around 5 p.m. -6 p.m. is when it is most crowded. If you have time to go in the morning or during normal class times it would be fairly uncrowded. The loop at Wrightsville Beach is also a great place to go for a walk or a run. It is about a two-mile trail that takes you across both bridges to and from Wrightsville Beach. Wilmington also has several parks, such as Hugh MacRae and Empie Park that stay fairly uncrowded that would be great for a walk or a run. If you need actual gym equipment for your workout then you might consider joining one of the local gyms, such as O2 fitness or Planet Fitness. A lot of the gyms are crowded in the evening just because that time is usually convenient for most people. However, they also open early in the morning, so you could easily beat the crowd if you chose to go in the morning before you start your day.