Possible attempted abduction of student occurs near UNCW

The intersection of Wood Dale and Pine Needle Drive, where many students reside, was the site of a recent reported abduction attempt

Travis Stoker

Travis Stoker

Tyler Newman, Assistant News Editor

On the morning of Aug. 31, UNC Wilmington police reported a possible attempted abduction incident occurring along Wood Dale Drive, in the neighborhood just south of UNCW’s campus.

At approximately 8:55 a.m., it was reported to police that a female student was walking towards campus when a black mid-sized sedan pulled off the road nearby.

A passenger emerged, described by the student as a white male in his mid-20s or 30s with sandy blonde hair, blue jeans and a blue shirt. The driver of the vehicle was described as a white male in his 20s, with no further details provided.

The student was startled by the sudden actions and ran to a nearby house, where a bystander was able to see what happened, according to campus police.

The car then sped off towards UNCW’s campus after the student ran to the house. They did not pursue.

Campus police were informed and sent out an email to students around 11:30 a.m.

The two men remain at large with no updates given at this time by campus police.

This is the second time in less than a year that an attempted abduction was reported along Wood Dale Drive near UNCW.

In November 2017, a female student walking along the same street reported a man in his early-to-mid-30s pulling over and grabbing her. However, the student was able to break free and contact authorities after the assailant escaped.

In this more recent incident, campus police described the vehicle to students via email.

“Chrome wheels and tinted/dark windows” were mentioned, in addition to being a “new-model” of the sedan. No vehicle make was provided.

It was also stated that the UNCW Police Department and Wilmington Police Department are sharing information as the case develops.

“As always, students should remember to be vigilant and aware of their surroundings at all times, and to reach out to UPD or take advantage of other university resources designed to protect our community,” was the final statement of note in the email regarding the incident.

Anyone with information is encouraged to contact UPD at 910-962-2222 or WPD at 911.