Gospel Gab: Freedom isn’t a place

Back to Article
Back to Article

Gospel Gab: Freedom isn’t a place

Ava Hicks, Staff Writer

Editor’s Note: Ava Hicks is a senior at UNCW studying Communications with a minor in Journalism. Ava also serves as a staff writer for The Seahawk and a regular columnist for Gospel Gab. The opinions expressed in this article are solely those of the author. All suggestions and inquiries may be sent via email to vcw6007@uncw.edu.

Where do you feel the most at peace? A lot of people would claim that they are at ease when soaking in a hot bath, eating their favorite food or surrounded by familiar faces.

While all of these things are wonderful, they just can’t compare to the feeling that warms my very being whenever I am fully immersed in nature. There is something special about being able to close your eyes and listen to the symphony of the woods, the wildlife sounding their individual calls, the leaves rustling in the breeze and a trickle of running water rhythmically dripping onto a stone.

Perhaps part of the appeal is the freedom that comes with knowing that you are simply existing in a place that is completely independent of your actions. Your presence among the trees is circumstantial and they will keep on living and growing regardless of whether or not you stick around. The only way I can describe this feeling is the sense of being completely free.

This is the feeling that comes with being a follower of Christ.

There are so many things in this world that are begging for our attention or demanding that we make difficult decisions. We all worry about the future and stress over the past, agonizing over things that we said and choices that we have to make. When we put our trust in the Lord, this heavy burden is lifted because we can be assured that everything is part of a divine plan and happens for a reason.

Freedom is often associated with the idea of complete independence to do whatever you like. However, this is not necessarily the type of freedom that comes with following Christ. Of course, Christians are still free to do as they wish – free will is a blessing that should not be abused or taken for granted.

Freedom in Christ is special because it gives us the freedom to make the right choices. When Jesus died on the cross, He freed us from the chains weighing us down by our sins and opened the door for us to choose God and His will. Instead of being condemned by our own sinful nature, we have been given the choice to live freely in His image and break away from the power of sin.

As much as I crave and cherish the feeling of liberation that comes with being deep in the wilderness, it can never compare to the freedom that Christ gave us because of His incomprehensible love for us.

I like to view the natural wonders of this Earth as a sneak peek into Heaven. If our little planet is this extraordinary, I can only imagine what breathtaking sights await us in Heaven.