Former UNCW basketball player receives NFL tryout

Travis Stoker | The Seahawk

Marcus Bryan lines up a free throw

Brian Carpenter, Staff Writer

A former UNC Wilmington basketball received an invitation from the Green Bay Packers to attend their rookie minicamp for a tryout this past weekend.

Marcus Bryan, who last played football at Ravenscroft School as a senior in high school, had an opportunity to make the Packers 90-man training camp roster. Rookie minicamp involved a total of 51 players hoping to make the team. Bryan was one of 16 players that received a tryout along with 11 draft picks, 10 returning first-year players, and 14 undrafted free agents.

Bryan attempted to join former collegiate basketball players turned National Football League players such as Antonio Gates, Jimmy Graham, and Tony Gonzalez. Graham, a current Packer tight end, played basketball for four years at the University of Miami, averaging 4.2 points per game and 4.2 rebounds per game.

Bryan announced on Instagram Sunday afternoon he did not make the Packers roster. He expressed gratitude to the Packers and looks forward to his next opportunity.

In his senior year for the Seahawks, Bryan started all 32 games and averaged 5.7 points and 6.9 rebounds per game. In three seasons for the Seahawks, Bryan scored a total of 404 points and 429 rebounds over 99 games played.

Bryan declined to comment for this story.