Advice from Sally Seahawk

Genevieve Guenther

Sally Seahawk, Staff Writer

I’m currently drowning in schoolwork and I need tips on how to not procrastinate. 

This is something that I’m pretty sure every college student needs tips on. I need tips on it myself. During these last few weeks, it seems as if every class has something big scheduled or due and it just keeps piling up on me. It helps to know that you’re not alone in it. For starters, I try to keep myself from procrastinating so much by writing everything down in my planner. This helps me to keep track of due dates as well as plan out time in my schedule to get everything done in a timely manner and what order in which I need to do them in. Planning it all out is the crucial first step to not procrastinating as much. I also try to reserve a room in the library with a few friends at least one day a week so that I can make myself go and get as much done as I can in the few hours that we are there. Being with other people that are also working on schoolwork motivates me to get my work done more efficiently.  

I’m a transfer student this year and I was wondering how crowded the library gets during finals week? 

During finals week, the library is as crowded as it will ever be. A lot of times, the only spots that you will find will be on the floor in the middle of the isles of books. Reserving a room is almost impossible if not done extremely in advance. Therefore, if you’re trying to beat the crowd, getting there early is your best option. However, I would advise that you don’t get discouraged if you don’t find somewhere to go in the library during finals week. Keep in mind that all of campus is going to be hectic, however, finding a place to sit down and study is completely doable. The “hot” areas are definitely the library, Fisher Student Center, and the Education building. Everywhere else seems to be pretty feasible in terms of finding somewhere to go. Don’t forget about all of the off campus options that there are as well. Panera Bread, Starbucks, Barnes and Noble, and tons local coffee shops are all good alternative study spots off campus.  

How can I find someone to sublease my apartment over the summer? 

You can start by putting up a post on the UNCW Facebook page letting students know that you are subleasing your apartment for over the summer. Each class usually has a separate Facebook page. For instance, there is a UNCW Class of 2018, UNCW Class of 2019, etc. You should join the class that you are a part of and you could also ask to join the other classes so that you are able to reach more students in the process. It always helps to add pictures and a description of where they would be living as well as how much money they would have to pay for each month. The more details the better. The best thing to do is ask, ask, and ask. Ask your friends, and then ask them to ask their friends. Getting the word out there is such an important part of this process. Some apartment complexes also offer pages where residents can post their available subleases. There are tons of people that want to live in Wilmington during the summer, so just get the word out there and you will find someone.