Why we need more movies like “Call Me by Your Name”

Genevieve Guenther

Veronica Wernicke, Assistant Opinion Editor

Editor’s Note: Veronica Wernicke is a freshman at UNCW majoring in Communication Studies and is the assistant opinion editor for The Seahawk. The opinions expressed in this article are solely those of the author. Veronica Wernicke may be found on Twitter @itsveronica98. All suggestions and inquiries may be sent via email to [email protected].

I have always been drawn to pieces of entertainment that start as small indie films and or remain small indie projects. That was one of the things that pulled me into the movie “Call Me by Your Name” — oh and the fact that Armie Hammer was in it.  

Based off the book of the same name, “Call Me by Your Name” is set in Northern Italy during summer of 1983. It follows a love story between 17-year-old Elio and 24-year-old graduate student Oliver. 

“Call Me by Your Name” was initially released to select theaters back in Nov. 2017. It was finally widely released a few weeks ago. So, of course I jumped at the chance to see this film that I knew was much needed in our day and age. 

This movie is much more than just a love story. It is about a young man struggling to discover himself and his sexuality. I found it to be a similar case to Golden Globes winner “Moonlight” which followed a young, African American man discovering himself and his sexuality much like Elio.  

More movies like these need to be made and picked up by wider production studios. They also need to especially gain attraction because they can and do cause an impact. They impact not only the people involved in the making of the film, but more importantly the audiences.  

I came across an interview with Hammer (Oliver) where he saw a tweet about a guy that saw the film, went home and came out to his parents. Now that is an impactful piece of art. We need more entertainment that will cause that kind of courage. 

You may not come home from after that film — and others like it — like that, but it could still give you the courage to help recognize who you really are.  

The last big movies I remember that talked and centered around the LGBTQIA community were last year’s “Moonlight” and 2005s “Brokeback Mountain.” I know that there are other movies that discuss LGBTQIA themes. Although, when I looked them up none had seemed to have the same success as the ones mentioned above. So, while they are out there they are not necessarily picking up the same attraction compared to big blockbusters like “Star Wars.” 

While I am not a part of the LGBTQIA community, I still found that this movie struck a chord with me. I left the theater touched and wanted to share this movie with anyone that would listen. I also understood what kind of significance this movie holds for the LGBTQIA population. Even if you are not a part of the LGBTQIA community, you can still appreciate this beautifully made film. We all have fallen in love with someone — whether we acted on it or not — and can relate to Elio’s struggle of discovering himself.  

Another great aspect of this beautiful film is that both actors — Hammer and Timothée Chalamet (Elio) — wholeheartedly embraced and committed themselves to this movie, despite both men being heterosexual. Their outstanding performances help illuminate the power and message behind this piece of work.   

They knew what they were making was special and needed to be seen. The only way to do that was through their performances. They also understood what kind of impact a mainstream movie revolving around LGBTQIA themes would mean for the community.  

Thanks to the excellent talents in this film, “Call Me by Your Name” has also been making headlines for huge award nominations like the Golden Globes, BAFTA, and various others. With award season just beginning, the future looks bright for this movie.  

With the promising award season, brings the hopeful sense of more successful LGBTQIA movies.  

“Call Me by Your Name” and similar films help let people know that they are not alone and that they are important too. Thank you Luca Guadagnino — the director — for giving creating a major film like “Call Me by Your Name” and for giving not only the LGBTQIA community more of a voice, but creating something that reminds us it is 2018 and time to change.