5 games for the stressed college student

Austin Suther, Contributing Writer

When you’re feeling down or getting slammed with assignment after assignment, sometimes you just need a break. Movies and TV shows are great for temporary relaxation, but another entertainment option with a bit more staying power is video games. Whether you want to immerse yourself in a huge fantasy world or run your own farm, here are five engaging games that will help any college student relax and unwind.

1. “Stardew Valley”

Platforms: Nintendo Switch, PC, Mac, PlayStation 4, Xbox One

When “Stardew Valley” released in early 2016, it took the video game community by storm. In a market filled with gritty, mature video games, “Stardew Valley” managed to stay in the spotlight because of its simplicity. In this game, you run a farm, forge relationships with your fellow village dwellers, raise livestock and go on fun adventures. The game can be played in short bursts and you can accomplish something new in every sitting. With calming music, a charming 8-bit aesthetic and simplistic mechanics, this is a game anyone can enjoy.

2. “The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim”

Platforms: Nintendo Switch, PC, PlayStation 3 & 4 platforms, Xbox 360 & One

If you’ve played “Skyrim” before, it might be time to play it again. Create your personalized character and specialize in anything you want – this game gives the player unprecedented freedom. “Skyrim” oozes with atmosphere, and it’s so immersive that you’ll forget your troubles for a time. Plus, it has one of the greatest video game soundtracks of all time. This fantasy/action-roleplaying game has hundreds of hours’ worth of content, and more coming out every day with mod integration.

3. “Castle Crashers”

Platforms: PC, Mac, PlayStation 3 & 4, Xbox 360 & One

“Castle Crashers” is a great game to kick back and enjoy with your roommates. This action-packed hack-and-slash has you take the role of a knight. Your job is to fight your way through countless, unique levels to save the kidnapped princesses. It’s colorful, bright and hilarious. If you’re down, this will pick you right back up. It’s fun alone, but it’s exponentially more enjoyable with friends.

4. “Rollercoaster Tycoon 3”

Platforms: PC, Mac

There is something oddly therapeutic about managing your own theme park. In this classic series, you create customized rollercoasters. Appease your guests with different shops and attractions, or just make a rollercoaster piece-by-piece. It might be a little dated, but it works. I’ve been playing it off-and-on since its release in 2004. It’s simple and fun, yet exhilarating.

5. “Pokémon” series

Platforms: Nintendo handhelds

“Pokémon” is a game literally anyone can enjoy – my 55-year-old dad plays each new iteration, as do I. It’s a series that brings a smile to your face as you, travel throughout the region, encounter new Pokémon and battle to become the very best Pokémon trainer in the land. The story in these games are simple so they don’t require much investment in a complicated plot. 20 years later after the first game’s release, the “Pokémon” formula remains as engaging and stress-free as ever.