Advice from Sally Seahawk

Sally Seahawk, Staff Writer

Q: I have been taking Adderall for almost my whole life. I recently decided to ween myself off it. It has made me tired all day. Should I continue to take it or should I get re-prescribed?

A: While I appreciate you trusting me to answer this question, I think this is something you should ask a doctor. Only you, with the help of your doctor, know what is best for you and your body. Since this is a drug that you have been on for most of your life, it might be best to consult your doctor before deciding something like this. After talking to your doctor, you both can make a decision that is best for you and your health.

–Sally Seahawk

Q: How do you work under an uninspiring boss who cares more about power over you than being a leader?

A: This is a very common issue and I doubt you are alone in feeling this way. It is not completely unusual to have a boss who is not very inspiring and seems like they are “drunk on power.” I am sorry you are in that situation. Poor leadership makes going to work very difficult.

First, I would really dig deep and make sure you are in the right work environment. While a job is important for you in order to earn money, sometimes two people are not a good fit and it truly is not the right job for that person. I would start by weighing the pros and cons then decide to stay or to look for other employment.

If after determining that this is a place you may want to stick it out, I would do a couple of things. I would continue to be proactive. If you see something you can do to help your boss without them asking, do it; that shows initiative. I would also set priorities and follow through with them. Make a list of everything you want to get done in the work day and follow through with all of them or as many as you can. The more you continue to show up and do your job, the happier your boss will be. Good luck.

–Sally Seahawk

Q: What do you think of dating apps? Is it a good place to meet someone? If so, which ones should I try?

A: I think dating apps can be great if you use them wisely. The most common ones that I have heard of college students using are Tinder and Bumble. Both are apps are used where you swipe based on someone’s physical appearance and a short bio. Bumble is different than Tinder because the woman is the only one who can start the communication. On Tinder, either party can start the conversation.

To be safe on these apps, be aware of some major red flags. Some examples are asking about your specific location frequently, the other person gets angry easily, pressures you for explicit photos, and/or talks about a future with you very early on. A major mistake I have heard of frequently is forgetting to turn off your Snapchat location with recently added friends. It is an easy way for newly added friends to know where you are at all times.

As long as you use the apps safely, I think it can be a great way to meet new people. You can meet people you would not normally have a chance to meet otherwise. It makes sense given how much we are on our phones these days that we can now make new relationships online. However, do not let dating apps stop you from joining clubs and possibly meeting someone with similar interests. Both ways are great ways to meet that special someone.

–Sally Seahawk