Two UNCW fraternities in hot water

Casey McAnarney, Editor-in-Chief

Two UNC Wilmington fraternities, the Zeta Tau Chapter of Delta Tau Delta and the Pi Chi Chapter of Phi Gamma Delta, face reprimand from their national affiliate organization and from the school respectively.

Delta Tau Delta Fraternity at the national level suspended the UNCW chapter’s operations due to their inability to adhere to the organization’s risk management policy. With these repeated violations, the Zeta Tau chapter was deemed no longer in good standing and not permitted to operate. The members were informed at a Oct. 30 campus meeting with a fraternity senior staff member.

“Membership in Delta Tau Delta is a privilege and conveys responsibilities,” said Executive Vice President Jim Russell. “We are disappointed the men chose to ignore the efforts and support of alumni, the national Fraternity and the University administration. They were provided ample opportunities to change direction and align with the core values of Delta Tau Delta. This is not the outcome we had been working toward in the past several months.”

Delta Tau Delta was established at the University of North Carolina Wilmington in 1984. The Zeta Tau Chapter has initiated 512 men into Delta Tau Delta.

Alternatively, Phi Gamma Delta, known colloquially as “Fiji,” faces disciplinary probation at UNCW until Oct. 20, 2018. Disciplinary probation, according to UNCW’s Code of Student Life, is is a status of probation for up to one calendar year, which terminates automatically when the imposed period expires. A student, or in this case organization, who is placed on disciplinary probation is considered not to be in good standing with the university.

“Disciplinary action will ensue when students fail to align themselves with the ideals and expectations outlined in the Honor Code,” according to page 11 of the Code of Student Life. “Because the university takes a holistic approach to addressing student misconduct…incidents involving students with prior findings of responsibility for academic dishonesty or serious non-academic misconduct (typically denoted by the status of ‘disciplinary probation’) will be referred to the Student Academic Honor Board.”

Prior to being listed with disciplinary probation, organizations not following this code are given a warning followed by a written warning. If this proceeds past probation, suspension can be considered.

“As part of disciplinary probation, the student may have restrictions placed on specific student privileges, as determined by the hearing body or administrative hearing officer, not to exceed the duration of the probationary period,” according to page 20 of the Code of Student Life. “In the event of a further violation of this Code or other applicable rules while on disciplinary probation, the university will seek the penalty of suspension or expulsion.”

However, Phi Gamma Delta is not alone: Chi Phi is on social probation until Dec. 15, 2017 and disciplinary probation until Sept. 20, 2018; Delta Kappa Epsilon is on social probation until Dec. 11, 2017 and disciplinary probation until April 25, 2018; Lambda Chi Alpha is on social probation until Dec. 15, 2017 and disciplinary probation until Sept. 1, 2018; and Pi Kappa Alpha is on until social probation until Jan. 25, 2018 and disciplinary probation until Sept. 13, 2018.

Social probation, unlike disciplinary probation, prohibits a student organization from hosting or attending social events, with or without alcohol, for a period of time. Social events listed in the code include: parties, mixers, date parties, formals and semi-formals.

Repeated efforts by The Seahawk to reach out to UNCW’s Interfraternity Council went unanswered. The Seahawk also reached out to both chapters of Delta Tau Delta and Phi Gamma Delta without response. This story will be updated in the event that responses are made.