Advice from Sally Seahawk

Sally Seahawk, Contributing Writer

Q: I have struggled with feeling alone on campus. I haven’t made many friends in my classes and I don’t see my roommate and I becoming close friends. Do you have any suggestions?

A: You are not the first college student to feel alone and a bit lost at times. College is a new place with a lot of major changes happening. A lot of these changes are great changes once you get used to them. I would first suggest that you really think about what you are interested in and join some groups. Start by looking at your major. A lot of majors have clubs associated with them that not only introduce you to people who have similar interests, but also look great on a resume.

I would also suggest you consider a part-time job. They are a great way to meet people and possibly get off campus for a little while. Even if you work one or two days a week, it gets your mind off school work, gets you out in the community and not to mention, makes some extra money!

–Sally Seahawk

Q: I feel a certain pressure to lose my virginity in college, but I’m nervous about it and I don’t feel ready. My parents are always saying it’s a big decision and to take my time. My peers seem to do it like it doesn’t matter. What do you suggest I do?

A: I want to start by saying, that no matter what my advice is, I cannot make this decision for you. Losing your virginity is ultimately all up to you. Everyone feels differently about this topic and it’s important that you only do what you are comfortable with.

Let’s start with dropping the comparison to your peers. Like I said, everyone feels differently about this topic. You have no obligation to lose it during college or any time. You should ultimately wait for the right person and right time where you are feeling comfortable with the person and place. It is your body and you have the choice of what you want to do with it.

Peer pressure is a powerful thing, especially at this age. The best way to overcome this is to continue to be confident in your morals, thoughts and beliefs. You can be supportive in a nonjudgmental way with friends that have chosen a different route than you, but make sure your decisions are just that: your own.

–Sally Seahawk

Q: I have a guy who I’m really interested in, but he’s not very good at communicating and I’m not sure if he’s interested. We have a lot of fun when we are together but he doesn’t like to text. Help!

A: This is a tough one because every guy reacts and communicates differently. I would suggest backing off a little bit and letting him take the lead on the next few conversations. I know this is a cliché, but if it is meant to be, it really will be. Don’t feel like you need to put in all the effort.

Some people, even in this day in age, don’t like to text. That’s okay. School is a busy time for everyone and this guy may genuinely be very busy with homework and such. It may not even be a sign that he’s uninterested. But again, let him lead the next couple of conversations and see how it goes. Don’t put pressure on the situation. If the lack of communication lasts a long time and you’re still feeling frustrated, feel free to be direct and let him know how you feel.

–Sally Seahawk