OBITUARY: Sophie Ann Misshula

Casey McAnarney and Hannah Williams

UNC Wilmington junior Sophie Ann Misshula passed away off campus Sunday, Sept. 24. Sophie was born April 19, 1996 in New York, New York and lived in Raleigh, N.C. prior to attending UNCW. Throughout her years as a Seahawk, Sophie was a cherished member of the UNCW community; she was a communication studies major, a candidate for a professional writing certificate, a Seahawk Link in UNCW Transition Programs, a member of the Alpha Psi Lambda national Latino-interest co-ed fraternity and a frequent visitor of Centro Hispano.

Sophie was a beloved daughter to her parents, Nancy Errichetti and Evan Misshula, and a sister to her brothers, Aidan and Griffin. An official obituary listing her other close family members can be viewed here.

Friends, family members, as well as those who had only just met Sophie recently turned to her Facebook profile to write notes to the public about their relationships with Sophie and how she will be remembered. These people describe Sophie as having an “infectious smile” and being full of joy.

In lieu of flowers, the family of Sophie wrote in an obituary in the News & Observer that those who hope to honor her life monetarily should donate to the Mosaic Project in Oakland, Ca. According to the Mosaic Project’s website, the project is a non-profit organization that works toward a “peaceful future by uniting children of diverse backgrounds, providing them with essential community building skills, and empowering them to become peacemakers.”

For a time, Sophie was also a member of The Seahawk student newspaper, and with the rest of the UNCW family, The Seahawk mourns her loss. To view the articles she wrote, click here.

Services to commemorate Sophie’s life will be held Sunday, Oct.8, 2017 at the North Ridge Country Club in Raleigh from 4:30 to 6:30 p.m. A condolence book will also be available at the Fisher Student Center Information Desk.

This post was updated Oct. 17 to remove erroneous information.