ACE to host a 12-hour 80’s themed movie marathon

Mary Bernardo

Kyle Kissinger, Assistant Lifestyles Editor

The Association for Campus Entertainment (ACE) is presenting this year’s Mini Hawk-In, a 12-hour movie marathon, on September 30th in Lumina Theater for free. This year will feature films exclusively from the 1980s, kicking off at noon with Ferris Bueller’s Day Off. Some of the previous lineups for Mini Hawk-In have been Disney themed, Oscar award-winning films or space-themed.

“Mini Hawk-In prepares people for the full Hawk-In, a 24-hour movie marathon that we host in the spring,” said ACE Films Co-Chair Tommy Guerrera. “We have a lot of fun contests and prizes to give out throughout the event. People who stay for all six movies will be entered into a raffle at the end for prizes.”

Some of these prizes include Blu-ray copies of the films shown at the 80’s Mini Hawk-In, posters and various memorabilia from the films. Dinner will be served following the showing of Dead Poet’s Society.

Dressing up for the 80’s theme is not just recommended, but highly encouraged by ACE Films Co-Chair Maggie Auzenne. “The ’80s is such an outrageous, daring and iconic decade, and we want to celebrate every aspect of it, including dressing up,” she said, “whether it’s wearing the neon leg warmers or a Michael Jackson t-shirt, we want our audience to embrace the decade too.”

80’s Mini Hawk-In Lineup:
12:00pm – Ferris Bueller’s Day Off
1:53pm – Ghostbusters
3:48pm – Dead Poets Society
6:31pm – Indiana Jones: Raiders of the Lost Ark
8:36pm – Footloose
10:33pm – Beetlejuice

“I’m excited for every single movie to be shown,” Guerrera laughed when asked about his favorite film from the lineup. “Two years ago when I first joined ACE, the Disney Mini Hawk-In was my favorite event that semester. Now I am excited to be running it this year with one of my best friends and an awesome films committee,” he continued.

“My favorite movie being shown is Indiana Jones: Raiders of the Lost Ark. I grew up with the Indiana Jones franchise, and it’s the film series that made me want to travel all of the world. I’m excited to see it again on the big screen,” said Auzenne.

Find out more info about the 80’s Mini Hawk-In here. Check out the trailer of the full lineup for below.