Graduation motivates students for success

Justin Lohr '08

About 400 undergraduate and 85 graduate students received their degrees during May 19’s graduation ceremony held in Trask Coliseum. Chancellor Jim Leutze opened the ceremony by remembering the “good times and bad” he and this graduating class had been through: hurricanes, the opening of the new recreation center and the erection of the clock tower. Motivational speaker, noted philosopher and author Tom Morris then addressed the class. “Graduates, today’s your day. You deserve to be congratulated, honored and commended,” he said. Morris shared seven strategies for success based on the teachings of the great philosophers. He called them the “seven C’s of success:” conception, confidence, concentration, consistency, commitment, character and the capacity to enjoy the process of attaining success. The heart of success, Morris said, is “taking your talents and making your mark. Why should we settle for anything less?” Morris is a member of the UNCW Board of Visitors. He is a graduate of UNC Chapel Hill and holds a doctorate in philosophy and religious studies from Yale University. He has served as an adviser to the corporate world, including General Motors, Merrill Lynch and NBC Sports. He is the author of 12 books including “If Aristotle Ran General Motors: The New Soul of Business” and “Philosophy for Dummies.” “I liked his enthusiasm,” senior David Holt said. Senior Wayne Metheny agreed that the speaker’s enthusiasm was excellent. He also said he liked “[Morris’] exposition and anecdotes. The length of time [he spoke] was appropriate.” Six students received awards for outstanding scholarship or leadership. Kathleen Morrow of Laurinburg received the William A. Bryan Senior Leadership award; Martin Jarmond won the Rachel Freeman Service and Leadership Award and David Thomas Myers received the Hoggard Medal. The UNCW Alumni Association recognized three students for having the highest GPAs in their respective classes: Susan Hutson won for the December graduation, and Lynne Williams and Tracy Wilson tied for the highest GPA in the May graduating class. For the first time, the ceremony was split into two halves to make more space for graduates and their families; rather than the two tickets graduates have been awarded in the past, this year, each student could receive as many as six tickets.