Registration equals frustration for some

Alisha Gore

Registration for new classes is an exciting and often hectic time for both students and faculty. Spring 2003 pre-registration started Nov 1. Each UNCW student is given a registration time. Students can register at that time or any time after that.

“However, I dislike the registration times because they don’t take into consideration that you are in class and you can’t use the time that they give you,” said Kim Fern, a UNCW junior.

Seniority plays a big role in the registration process. Upperclassmen and athletes are allowed to register for classes first. Students enrolled in special programs also have the opportunity of early registration. “I am in the Honors programs so I get to register early,” said Cori Cauble, a UNCW sophomore.

Underclassmen often find that many of the popular classes that meet at the most desirable times are often full when it comes time for them to register. Freshmen who signed up for classes during summer orientations often had less of a variety of classes to choose from.

“Especially that sixth group that came in,” said Larry Honeycutt, a physical education lecturer, referring to the last orientation group that came late in the summer.

Class availability is always a major issue when it comes to registration.More underclassman level courses are being taught to accommodate for the larger number of students being accepted into UNCW each year. More course sections are also being taught in these levels.

Professors, who in the past may have taught more upperclassman level courses, have to teach more basic courses to balance the ratio of students needing to take these courses. This often leaves less time for professors to teach upperclassmen level courses, which leads to another problem. Many upperclassmen find it hard to get the upper level courses they need to fill the graduation requirements for their degrees.

“Students are having to go an extra semester in order to get the classes that they need to graduate,” said Kevin Knight, an English lecturer.

The current budget problems at UNCW are contributing to the lack of new professors, which would help alleviate some scheduling problems. With less money to hire new professors to accommodate the needs of a growing student population, compromises have been made by both students and professors.

Attending summer sessions, extending length of college tenure, and delaying retirement are some of the actions being taken by UNCW students and faculty in order to adjust to rising enrollment and professor shortages.