Spend a semester in the ‘happiest place on Earth’

Elizabeth Heglar | Assistant Lifestyles Editor

On a college campus and throughout America, one would be hard-pressed to find someone who has never heard of one of the largest companies in the world, the Walt Disney Company. But how many know about the Disney College Program? 

The Disney College Program, also known as the DCP, is a program for currently enrolled college students to participate in an internship with the famous company for a semester. With its potential to add not only experience, but also the name “Disney” to a resume, the program’s acceptance process is rigorous and selective due to the high rate of applicants 

The process begins with a web interview, during which applicants answer questions based on customer service, their personalities and more. If the applicant makes it through the web interview successfully, they are then offered a phone interview. This is the last step before hearing about acceptance to the program, and is known to be the most difficult.  

“I was definitely overly prepared for the phone interview,” said current DCP participant Kayla O’Riley. [I would recommend] writing down notes as guidelines for your answers, and practice smiling in front of a mirror as though you are talking during the interviewInterview questions can be found online for anyone interested in preparing this way.  

Only 12 percent or so of applicants are accepted each semester, this number varying based on the need for employees, which Disney refers to as Cast Members. For this reason, current Cast Members stress that it’s important not to feel discouraged if you don’t get accepted the first time.

“I got accepted the first time and I did not expect that at all because others took two or three times to get in,” said current DCP Cast Member Rachel Daughtry.  

Currently working at Cosmic Ray’s Starlight Café in Walt Disney World’s Magic Kingdom, Daughtry works a versatile job.

“I have several responsibilities. Some of them are things like sweeping, cleaning tables and helping guests find seating. I am training as a cashier next week though,” said Daughtry.

When asked about her favorite aspect of the DCP she expressed her love for talking and interacting with both children and elderly customers.  

“I really don’t think I can put the feeling to justice. Something about taking the small moments and really focusing on that specific guest and how they are doing and what you can do to make their experience better is extremely rewarding,” said Daughtry 

Although both Daughtry and O’Riley currently work in food service, there are many jobs available to applicants. Operations, entertainment, lodging, food & beverage, retail and recreation are all possible opportunities for those interested. Each category has its own subsection. For example, working in operations could include anything from working attractions to being a PhotoPass photographer. When applying, applicants are able to rank their desired jobs in the hopes of getting the one they are most interested in.  

The Disney College Program also offers the possibility to earn credits toward a degree, although for the majority of majors they count as electives. Just a few of the classes offered include Disney advanced studies in hospitality management, Disney corporate analysis, and Disney creativity & innovation. Classes in Disney heritage, marketing, guest service and leadership are also possibilities for those interested in finding more future based education.

For more information about the DCP or to find out about transferring credits toward a degree, you can consult with the Office of the Registrar as well as your advisor and the DCP advising office.