5 ways to help yourself stay organized this semester

Elizabeth Heglar | Lifestyles Editor | @ElizabethHeglar

Staying organized throughout the semester is difficult. For some keeping a motivated and organized mindset is even more challenging. Class loads, work schedules and social lives become more full as the semester progresses and make it difficult to stay on top of responsibilities. In order to help you navigate just a bit better in 2017 we have included 5 ways to help you stay sane and organized:

1. Get a planner. If you prefer one to write in by hand, Barnes & Nobles or Walmart are two great places to find planners for fewer than twenty bucks. If an online experience is more your thing, try out Asana. Asana has both an app and a free website. Its interface is extremely user-friendly. Getting into the habit of writing down not only your school work but also your work schedule and social plans can help you to better manage your time, keep up with your work and make sure you have balance in your day to day life. Not to mention you can finally stop accidentally overbooking yourself and having to cancel plans.
  2. Pick one thing to get done every single day. Although it is nice to be lazy, and sometimes completely warranted, it is important to get in the habit of setting goals for yourself and completing them. Set one small task for each day that you can complete within an hour. Going on a short run, doing a load of laundry or knocking out that reading assignment are all great ways to help you stay in an organized mindset. Achieving small goals like these can make tackling that big paper or asking for that raise at work much less daunting.
  3. Take 10 minutes each week to clean out whatever bag you use for school. De-cluttering all of those extra papers, pens and paper clips you threw in the bottom keeps it easy to find things when you need them. Not to mention the less weight you carry on your back each day the better off you will be when you are 80; your spine will thank you.
  4. Give yourself time each day to relax. It is easy to get caught up in school, work and friends but it is important to take time to yourself. Something simple like cooking a meal or sitting down to watch your favorite show for an hour is a great way to decompress and keep stress levels low. The less stress you have the easier it is to put energy towards staying on top of your assignments. Keeping stress levels as low as possible help you stay organized by allowing your brain to relax and think properly.
  5. Actually read the syllabi given to you for each class. In the notes section of your planner, or in the front of your notebook for each class, write down the attendance policy, important dates involving projects and tests along with each professor’s information. Professor information should at least include name, office hours and e-mail. Now you have a quick reference page for the class as well as a place to write down when a professor changes due dates last minute or gives updated information on the class.