Students pitch business ideas, gain real-world experience

Lizz Wood | Staff Writer

As part of Global Entrepreneurship Week, eight UNCW students will be pitching new business ideas at a Rocket Pitch event this Thursday in Cameron Hall Auditorium 105 from 6 to 8 p.m. In addition to gaining real-world experience, the winner will receive cash prizes to help put their business idea into action.

The mission of the event is to give business students the opportunity to deliver a high-powered five minute presentation based on an idea for which they have done extensive research and preparation. The contestants include Ben Rogers, Chris Utesch, Kelly Fryer, Julio Portalatin, Brent Wright, Robert Goodin, Jared Randhawa, Ricardo Valea, James Connolley and Scott Herrmann.

The panel of judges comprises four Wilmington entrepreneurs including Kristen Beckmeyer, UNCW alumna and founder of Coastal Cupcakes and Rick Xivelli, founder of Wrightsville Beach Surf Camp. The final two judges are Professor Drew Rosen and SGA Vice President Sammy Pisano. “The audience will also be the seventh judge and will text in their votes on the winners, and their selection will count as the seventh and possibly deciding vote,” said Jonathan Rowe, Director of the Entrepreneur Center.

“Rocket pitch will benefit students by teaching them how much time and effort is needed to efficiently develop and maintain an effective business strategy. They will get practice in front of a large audience of critical peers, which can help them further develop their business idea and allow them to hear suggestions on how to improve the idea and the pitch,” said  Jessie Schultz, junior in the Cameron School of Business and co-marketing chair for the event.

Space is limited and RSVP is required. RSVP here: http://csbapp.csb.uncw.edu/events/reg/index.aspx?id=98